When to strike when float fishing for Pike.

Keith M

Reaction score
I know this thread says “When to strike” but seeing that it’s turned towards tackle I thought I’d mention my home made Pike floats which I make each year for pennies using balsa dowelling from a model shop, a bit of paint and some old barbed sea hook shanks glued and pushed into the bottom.

When I need a few sliding floats I sometimes use those hollow plastic stems from cheap Halloween lollies or pieces of Biro tubing and poke them through the middle lengthwise instead of putting an eye at the bottom; and they can easily be made at any length I want in a very short time for literally pennies.

In the past I have also made vaned floats by glueing some old dart vanes into the top so that they can catch the wind and drift out to where I wanted them to be.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
That’s great Keith, I like making odd bits of tackle. I made my one and only pike float out of a bit of wood and an old thick marker pen body. With a paper clip for an eye and a bit of self adhesive lead strip to part load it. A bit of a mash up but hey ho.
Here it is in action. As I get more into pike fishing I’ll probably make better such as your design or even buy the odd float !
Thanks !
0da17685abd0aada4d10b1602eac087a.jpg

john step

Reaction score
I made a batch a couple of years ago. Not up to the artistic style of hobbyist float makers but they work a treat.

I bought a bag of new wine corks and glue two together. I glue a piece of dowling in the end and whip a cut down safety pin on for an eye.

Half have a plastic dart vane on top for wind drifting and visibility. The dart vanes can be bought ready brightly coloured.