Hook Sizes when fishing Fox soft lures...

tink

Reaction score
Good evening!

I'm after your advice on hook sizes for Fox soft lures.

I have a pack of 4cm Micro Spikey Fry which I want to fish on a 2g Jig Head and a pack of 7cm Slick Shads on which i want to use a 5g Jig.

I've been told and read different advice on what size hooks to use with these.

Can someone give me a general guide regarding hook to lure sizes please?

Thanks!

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Unfortunately hooks of supposedly the same size can be different lengths with different gapes, just as softbaits of the same length can be different shapes and thickness making it difficult to have general rules. As a quick example on a 4/0 I'll fish a 4" fat swing impact or a 3" kopyto where as a 4" easy shiner looks good on a 3/0.

As a very very rough guide I tend to start at size 4 for a 2", 0/1 for 2"-3", 0/2 for 3"-3.5", 0/3 for 3.5" - 4" and 0/4 for 4".

I'll second AGM for jig heads

Last edited:

tink

Reaction score
Cheers fellas. That AGM website is looking like it could see me parting with some cash!!

tink

Reaction score
Unfortunately hooks of supposedly the same size can be different lengths with different gapes, just as softbaits of the same length can be different shapes and thickness making it difficult to have general rules. As a quick example on a 4/0 I'll fish a 4" fat swing impact or a 3" kopyto where as a 4" easy shiner looks good on a 3/0.

As a very very rough guide I tend to start at size 4 for a 2", 0/1 for 2"-3", 0/2 for 3"-3.5", 0/3 for 3.5" - 4" and 0/4 for 4".

I'll second AGM for jig heads

Would you say a size 6 hook for these 1.5" ones? 20200112_203456.jpg

Another Dave

Reaction score
I'd probably use a 6 on something that size, you don't want the hook emerging too far back or the tail 'wag' will be affected. Which is more to do with shank length than hook size per se, and that will vary a bit between brands.

I think what i do is to try to get away with the biggest hook size that will still allow the action of the lure to work properly.

tink

Reaction score
I'd probably use a 6 on something that size, you don't want the hook emerging too far back or the tail 'wag' will be affected. Which is more to do with shank length than hook size per se, and that will vary a bit between brands.

I think what i do is to try to get away with the biggest hook size that will still allow the action of the lure to work properly.

Thankyou. This type of lure fishing is all new to me and a bit confusing to be honest!

Another Dave

Reaction score
Thankyou. This type of lure fishing is all new to me and a bit confusing to be honest!

Been there, you soon pick it up.

Your next worries will be about the weight of the jighead, weedless options, when you need a wire trace, where to hide all the bits you keep buying from AGM so the missus doesn't see your stash. I could go on :D

john step

Reaction score
Agree Dave. I had a rumage through my light lure bag a few days ago and realise the lures breed when you are not looking.

tink

Reaction score
Been there, you soon pick it up.

Your next worries will be about the weight of the jighead, weedless options, when you need a wire trace, where to hide all the bits you keep buying from AGM so the missus doesn't see your stash. I could go on :D

Looks like a major *******ing could be on the horizon in the not too distant future Dave lol

sylvanillo

Reaction score
For those soft shads you can use a small trailer hook on which you set a soft 2 mm silicone tube. The tube will keep it away from deadly snags but will free the point on the least bite or strike. On the the hook eye, a snap on which you pinch a single shot of your liking. Interchangeable, safe, efficient. If you miss a bite, remove the shot and leave weightless it will often ensure a second bite comes and stronger.

spoonminnow

Reaction score

Excellent !
Lure action is everything when it comes to slow retrieves and small finesse lures. Note where the hook comes out of the same-size lures you're using - half the length of the lure or a little less:
rq1wYAN.jpg
IjnahMg.jpg
Wu2KPxA.jpg
zB7hG2j.jpg
XKs2vGb.jpg
9A4hkBa.jpg
p8iD1cy.jpg

For a 1.5" lure I suggest using a #6 hook; for a 2.5" lure, a #4. #8 hooks are only for lures less than 1".
Even small diameter lures (plastic worms) as long as 5" benefit from using #4 jig hooks as in the above photo of the Kut Tail hybrid worm

Even 2" wacky rigged sticks require a #4 or smaller #6 hook whether 1/16 or 1/24 oz:
tjMaT3i.jpg