Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default Re: Drop shotting rods

A bit part of this is working out what you wish to do. If you choose a rod that is rated incorrectly for where you fish and what you wish to I it can be a bit of a menace, for example if I took a 0.5-5g dropshot rod onto my rivers it would be useless as I’d always be working at its top end of casting weight whereas if I was fishing a canal it would be perfect.
    It’s well worth having a real think about what you want to achieve otherwise you will end up with a collection of different rated rods you don’t use or aren’t enjoyable.

Default Re: Drop shotting rods

Quote Originally Posted by dorsetsteve View Post
    A bit part of this is working out what you wish to do. If you choose a rod that is rated incorrectly for where you fish and what you wish to I it can be a bit of a menace, for example if I took a 0.5-5g dropshot rod onto my rivers it would be useless as I’d always be working at its top end of casting weight whereas if I was fishing a canal it would be perfect.
    It’s well worth having a real think about what you want to achieve otherwise you will end up with a collection of different rated rods you don’t use or aren’t enjoyable.
    Being an Essex boy and living in Essex where there are no rivers part from the odd small stream all my fishing will be using light weights.
    I know the feeling of having rods I don't use, I have shed full of them. Hopefully I will buy the right rod and reel this time, the trouble is you never really know that until you use them.

Drop shotting rods have a fairly small range in the weights they advertise from approx 5g to 20g, these figures are little more than a guideline and the vast majority are sensitive enough for all applications.

Have ended up with Daiwa Prorex X, with a Fox Warrior 2 1000 size. Plus Braid, drop shot rigs, and various baits which I think is a good set up for the price £125. Was prepared to spend more then that on just the reel.

One the greatest dropshot rods I've ever tried was from St Croix. That was in a multi brand show in Paris a few years ago. That one came from St Croix itself, but many rod builders use their blanks and then customise.
    You could also have a look at Fox Rage.
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

You could always use a 7' soft action spinning rod, Daiea do a few ( other brands available) or as has been mentioned look at the korum range of rods

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12