Drop shotting rods

steve2

Reaction score
I always said I wouldn’t buy a drop shotting rod but after talking to predator anglers at Carp Show I am in the market for one.
Which make and model do you use?

Was thinking about buying a 1000 size reel to balance it or is that too small.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use an 8ft 6” Drennan Esox drop shot rod, like most Drennan rods it’s a well made piece of kit. As with most disciplines a rod other than a rod specifically designed for drop shotting could be used but might just lack the subtle difference that can be so important when detecting a very shy take.

I use a Rarenium 1000 reel and find it perfect for the job.

My only advice would be to not get a short rod, a slightly longer rod gives you more scope to poke it into spaces and also you can stand back a foot or two from the bank so as not to spook any fish close in.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I will Echo S63. I have the identical rod. Actually it was S63 who pointed out the deal in "Bargains Let us Know" some time ago from Fishing Republic at half price.
Excellent rod. I have a 1000 size reel. Feels right.
I have used it for more than drop shotting. I have abused it with weights heavier than specified. I posted a picture of this 23lb plus pike I recently caught on it using sink and draw roach.

naxian62

Reaction score
If the above set ups are a bit rich. Take a look at the Wychwood range. I've got one coupled with a little Okuma Ceymar. Lovely balanced set up. That doesnt hurt the wallet too much.

steve2

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, none of what you suggest are available locally so will have to take a trip to my nearest AD store to try so out.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "trip" having spent last night in A&E following a fall. Now have concussion and a damaged knee.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, none of what you suggest are available locally so will have to take a trip to my nearest AD store to try so out.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "trip" having spent last night in A&E following a fall. Now have concussion and a damaged knee.

I hope you get over it quickly Steve. I took a tumble yesterday whilst fishing but luckily landed on soft grass. No damage except sore arm and bruised ego. Things seem to knock you about more the older you get. I am sure I took worse tumbles as a youngster and didn't feel sore afterwards.

rayner

Reaction score
I have a FOX RAGE finesse rod and a 500 reel loaded with braid.
I'm unable to use it because the water I fish doesn't allow me to use it. It is for sale. If interested message me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is not a method that I am experieced with, but a good friend swears by the Korum Twin Tip drop shotting rod . . . He has the 8 foot version and has used his ever since they came on the market.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
A bit part of this is working out what you wish to do. If you choose a rod that is rated incorrectly for where you fish and what you wish to I it can be a bit of a menace, for example if I took a 0.5-5g dropshot rod onto my rivers it would be useless as I’d always be working at its top end of casting weight whereas if I was fishing a canal it would be perfect.
It’s well worth having a real think about what you want to achieve otherwise you will end up with a collection of different rated rods you don’t use or aren’t enjoyable.

steve2

Reaction score
A bit part of this is working out what you wish to do. If you choose a rod that is rated incorrectly for where you fish and what you wish to I it can be a bit of a menace, for example if I took a 0.5-5g dropshot rod onto my rivers it would be useless as I’d always be working at its top end of casting weight whereas if I was fishing a canal it would be perfect.
It’s well worth having a real think about what you want to achieve otherwise you will end up with a collection of different rated rods you don’t use or aren’t enjoyable.

Being an Essex boy and living in Essex where there are no rivers part from the odd small stream all my fishing will be using light weights.
I know the feeling of having rods I don't use, I have shed full of them. Hopefully I will buy the right rod and reel this time, the trouble is you never really know that until you use them.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Drop shotting rods have a fairly small range in the weights they advertise from approx 5g to 20g, these figures are little more than a guideline and the vast majority are sensitive enough for all applications.

steve2

Reaction score
Have ended up with Daiwa Prorex X, with a Fox Warrior 2 1000 size. Plus Braid, drop shot rigs, and various baits which I think is a good set up for the price £125. Was prepared to spend more then that on just the reel.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
One the greatest dropshot rods I've ever tried was from St Croix. That was in a multi brand show in Paris a few years ago. That one came from St Croix itself, but many rod builders use their blanks and then customise.
You could also have a look at Fox Rage.