Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drop shotting rods

I always said I wouldn’t buy a drop shotting rod but after talking to predator anglers at Carp Show I am in the market for one.
    Which make and model do you use?

Was thinking about buying a 1000 size reel to balance it or is that too small.

Default Re: Drop shotting rods

I use an 8ft 6” Drennan Esox drop shot rod, like most Drennan rods it’s a well made piece of kit. As with most disciplines a rod other than a rod specifically designed for drop shotting could be used but might just lack the subtle difference that can be so important when detecting a very shy take.

I use a Rarenium 1000 reel and find it perfect for the job.

My only advice would be to not get a short rod, a slightly longer rod gives you more scope to poke it into spaces and also you can stand back a foot or two from the bank so as not to spook any fish close in.
    Last edited by s63; 29-01-2020 at 19:11.

I will Echo S63. I have the identical rod. Actually it was S63 who pointed out the deal in "Bargains Let us Know" some time ago from Fishing Republic at half price.
    Excellent rod. I have a 1000 size reel. Feels right.
    I have used it for more than drop shotting. I have abused it with weights heavier than specified. I posted a picture of this 23lb plus pike I recently caught on it using sink and draw roach.

If the above set ups are a bit rich. Take a look at the Wychwood range. I've got one coupled with a little Okuma Ceymar. Lovely balanced set up. That doesnt hurt the wallet too much.

Another alternative from Spro who make some excellent products.

Spro Triffic Drop Shot Rod | eBay

Thanks for the ideas, none of what you suggest are available locally so will have to take a trip to my nearest AD store to try so out.
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "trip" having spent last night in A&E following a fall. Now have concussion and a damaged knee.
    Last edited by steve2; 30-01-2020 at 08:53.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, none of what you suggest are available locally so will have to take a trip to my nearest AD store to try so out.
    Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "trip" having spent last night in A&E following a fall. Now have concussion and a damaged knee.
    I hope you get over it quickly Steve. I took a tumble yesterday whilst fishing but luckily landed on soft grass. No damage except sore arm and bruised ego. Things seem to knock you about more the older you get. I am sure I took worse tumbles as a youngster and didn't feel sore afterwards.

My wife thinks I should be fitted with front and rear air bags.

Blog Entries

I have a FOX RAGE finesse rod and a 500 reel loaded with braid.
    I'm unable to use it because the water I fish doesn't allow me to use it. It is for sale. If interested message me.

Blog Entries

It is not a method that I am experieced with, but a good friend swears by the Korum Twin Tip drop shotting rod . . . He has the 8 foot version and has used his ever since they came on the market.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast