Some inspiring viewing...

Aknib

Reaction score
I changed my plans for a session today based on a changing local forecast and looking out the window I'm pleased I did, it's pretty grim out there!

An early morning swim was the order of the day followed by the sofa and some youtubing where I came across this...

YouTube

I can't see the link that I've cut and pasted or an imbedded video clip so if you can't see it yourself just search for:

Alfie Russell - Little Rivers, Big Perch.

Wonderful fishing and the kind of thing that's accessible to all of us, a very enjoyable seven minutes of viewing and I only wish it was longer.

Aknib

Reaction score
Yes the float looks like an inline slider... Purple Peanut?

Have to admit my arm was twitching and ready to strike as it bobbed and travelled slightly across the surface, I could watch that stuff until the cows come home.

I wonder if Angling Direct would swap the Carp videos for more of that kind of stuff?

If they did they would at least get some money out of me if they installed a coffee machine whilst I watched them :lol:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Steve.

A young lad not gone unnoticed by the big names in the industry having made videos with Nash and now Drennan. It’s refreshing to see a professionally made video showing some grass roots fishing, so much more enjoyable than some of the inferior stuff that gets pedalled on fishing forums.

Had that last perch been mine, it was 4lb all day long!:)

rich66

Reaction score
Thanks enjoyed the video immensely. Reminded me I have a little perch bobber unused in my float box.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My one gripe is the lack of info on bait used, I’m guessing either maggots or worm

Aknib

Reaction score
My one gripe is the lack of info on bait used, I’m guessing either maggots or worm

Given the float choice and behaviour when there was interest I'd bet a 1000-1 it was worm :)

Possibly a small livebait but he didn't seem equipped to catch them so I'm still going with worm.

Aknib

Reaction score
I have to get this in, in respect of my earlier comment and my suspicion of bait choice in conjunction with the type of float used.

Can you imagine if that was an ordinary straight or bodied waggler float?

Those movements before the actual take, which a traditional Perch bobber such as the one used will withstand with its upper buoyancy, would be otherwise registering as positive bites and you would be striking the water to a foam with missed after missed bite.

They may not be new but it goes to prove that not everything new is progress, some things came along for a good reason and have yet to be surpassed.

I may not like the modern reincarnations but Drennan recognised it and many use them to very good effect.

mikench

Reaction score
Had that last perch been mine, it was 4lb all day long!

Likewise. I have a considerable way to go. I liked that video, it was a cut above most. I have just checked my range of bobbers which consist of the bright yellow or orange bulbous floats to the Drennan plastic variety. All have an eye at the bottom of the stem and I have always fished them like a waggler. Is this wrong?

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I have to get this in, in respect of my earlier comment and my suspicion of bait choice in conjunction with the type of float used.

Can you imagine if that was an ordinary straight or bodied waggler float?

Those movements before the actual take, which a traditional Perch bobber such as the one used will withstand with its upper buoyancy, would be otherwise registering as positive bites and you would be striking the water to a foam with missed after missed bite.

They may not be new but it goes to prove that not everything new is progress, some things came along for a good reason and have yet to be surpassed.

I may not like the modern reincarnations but Drennan recognised it and many use them to very good effect.

Steve, I've been chasing some nice Perch for the last two winters using feeder gear with lobs, Dendras and maggots.
I agree 100% with your views about a bobber being the best choice of float when using a big lob as bait as my bites when feeder fishing are so so often twitchy starters with my indicator bobbin rising and falling for several seconds before rising up to my rods butt ring.
I interpret this as being the fish attacking the lob needs one or two , several even, gulps to swallow the bait , then, that done moves off, maybe to find more or to evade a pike that seem ever present on the waters in fishing.
This is when the bobbin rises positively in the same way that a bobber will sink out of sight being the moment when the angler should strike.
Earlier on last late autumn I was using a mag and wag approach with a pouch of maggots every cast and had numerous quality Perch on several visits . All the bites were sailaways with me being met with a solid resistance of a quality perch on the strike. When taking the hook out of several fish it was plain to see several maggots at the back of the throat similar to how we often see with chub showing how they must have been simply going thro the slow sinking mags with abandon.
What I was doing was a far cry from most standard approaches to catching Perch and to be honest it may never be as good as those Perch were attacking a huge shoal of perch fry but were still open to other offerings on the day.
All that said if I were on a river (I have a swim on the Tidal Trent earmarked for next year)it will be a lob n bob approach !

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Can i just repeat a question about using a perch bobber. Should they be fished on a Stillwater waggler style if they have an eye on the end of the stem or like a trotting float with rubbers.

rich66

Reaction score
Can i just repeat a question about using a perch bobber. Should they be fished on a Stillwater waggler style if they have an eye on the end of the stem or like a trotting float with rubbers.

Mike I always thought they where fished trotting style.