Drop shotting in summer

Tree123

Reaction score
Any one drop shotting in summer? All the articles i find say in summer/warmer water its best to use a mirco jig for perch if lure fishing for them.

It might just be a marketing ploy to make buy more though.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Drop shotting works all year particularly if you are fishing where you know perch are.
Bigger lures on stronger tackle can be used for zander and pike all year also.
Better than micro jigs are the zman craws and TRD's on the lightest jig head possible to suit the conditions, these will catch any predator from small perch to big pike. I know of 3x20lb and numerous doubles on them so always fish with a 6lb or 12lb cahira wire trace Home this wire is stronger than stated and very reliable.
Jig fishing actually searches the water faster than drop shotting when locating shoals.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
Echo as above. The fish are more mobile and will chase in summer, so you can cover more water and find the fish. Dropshot is ideal for targeting a specific feature. In summer one of my favourite things is to use small shads and spinners and run them along the margin, in running water the flow can held hold the “bait” and you can even run it over the top of underwater weed etc.

Krang

Reaction score
I mostly only find drop shot useful for fishing vertically. Such as in corners around locks. For pretty much everything else I prefer crank lures as you can cover more water and is more active and engaging.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
It's in essence an unobstrusive, delicate rig. Now bear in mind you can use a drop shot or heavy drop shot rig, with one or more soft lures. Also imagine lures of different sizes on the same line.
With faster moves the shot (or the lure-shot) will move particles from the bottom.
So you can use it in summer with some room for innovation.

Now in summer that wouldn't be my preferred one, whether on small shallow canals or bigger rivers. There's the cochard weight which works super well. Otherwise, wobbling dead bait on drachko rigs. Note that one single tackle box lets you carry the limited elements that those 3 techniques require!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
And BTW, Tree, when targeting perch in summer, I had many perch on the thames using bigbaits such as salmo slider, buster jerk etc 45 to 54 cm perch had no problem in swallowing a 15 cm / 75 gr lure!

Tree123

Reaction score
Thanks i normalt fish minnows or worms but just fancy having go with dropshot/lures as means i dont have to go to the tackle shop to get maggots or said worms

Last edited: