Lures, for when I'm tired of catching fish

sagalout

Reaction score
I went on my first ever dedicated lure session this morning. On the bank at 0500 left at 0900. Not a sniff. I tried spinners, spoons, plugs and jellies, fishy looking ones, worm looking ones, green ones, bright green sparkley ones and red ones. I tried slow, fast, jerky and smooth.

There was no sign of any perch feeding, which I must say is unusual for the water I fished.

I tied a #8 swivel to the line, then fitted a spring clip to the swivel and clipped the lures on, is that right?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
You say there was no sign of perch? Then perhaps it's just one of those days.

Also, you didn't mention employing a wire trace, if not you should do mate, for obvious reasons.

You shouldn't judge lure fishing on one outing , possibly at the wrong time.

Nathan

Reaction score
I've had the majority of my pike on lures, in fact i'd never even consider going out for pike without them. It took me a while to get used to using them & how/when to use each type but wait until you finally feel that first take - you'll be hooked for life :)

sagalout

Reaction score
I didn't mention the trace coz I wasn't using one. Whats the obvious reason to use one?

No I shan't give up yet, if nothing else it great to throw a small bag, net, and made up rod in the car and be fishing within minutes of arival at the water and to be so mobile.

captain carrott

Reaction score
cos pike find it easy to bite through nylon and lures don't just catch perch.

captain carrott

Reaction score
" lures don't just catch perch" ...Unless no Pike are present captain

or chub or bream or trout or salmon or err oh yeh carp.
t'other problem with presuming there's no pike in a water is they have a habit of getting into waters uninvited.

Last edited:

Rickrod

Reaction score
Like Derek said it may well have been just one of them days.Lures certainly catch perch and good ones too.I have caught them on a fair few different types of lures,mepps spinners rubber storm shads even poppers, jointed plugs, big s and more. Its always a wobbly leg moment when a big perch comes to the net maybe try dusk next time. If your not sure if pike are present on the water slip a wire trace on just to be safe it wont stop the perch taking the lure and if you a lucky and hook a bonus pike then you will be able to land it

captain carrott

Reaction score
though if it's perch you're after then you won't go far wrong with an ondex spinner, even i can catch em on ondex spinners :D

sagalout

Reaction score
Tench, bream, massive roach, rudd, huge perch, eels, but no pike or carp.

I think it must just have been that there wasn't a single perch feeding and nothing to do with me skills as a top all round lure fisherman in the making ;)

I did try bladed spinners but nothing, nada, zip!

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Sagalout, how can you be so certain there are no pike present in that particular water ? It is possible for waters to hold a small head of pike, and even regulars to that water may be unaware of their presence.

Then again as CC says, often pike find their way into waters uninvited, and dare I say sometimes by invitation. That being so I would tend to err on the side of caution and employ a trace. It certainly won't deter perch, so why risk fishing without one.

noodle

Reaction score
guilty of the charge of not fishing with wire KNOWING no pike were present.
its a shame the pike didnt know they were not supposed to be in there.

luckily and i was very lucky after the pike snapped me it shook its head and the spinner i was using dropped out, i even managed to get the spinner back

i should add ive fished this bit of water for gettnig on for twenty years and while livebait fishing for perch never had a take from a pike i didnt know anyone who even thought there were pike in there.

its a nice pike water though now im aware of it and responds quite well to lures but not baits....

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yes it's true Noodle, pike can exist in certain waters without anyone being aware of their presence. I have known five such places, and two of them turned out to be truly amazing, producing fish into the high thirties. I no longer have the drive or energy to go searching for those elusive waters nowadays. But remain confident a few still exist.
Touching on the point you made about fishing that particular water for twenty years with live bait and never havivg a take.'
On one of the waters referred to above, I invited a couple of close friends who were dedicated and successful bait anglers,(dead bait) to join me. I was lure fishing at the time, and wished to make a comparison between the methods. As live baiting was prohibited, they were the only options.
By the second season it was obvious to all, that lures were the way to go, results clearly proving that. Although several years later, that did change, possibly due to the amount of baiting up undertaken by a few enterprising pike anglers.
So that's my long winded way of saying, what you experienced is not unique Noodle, it does happen. Just wish I had a tenner for every time I've been told,''No pike in here mate''. And another reason for ''always'' using a wire trace!!

dezza

Reaction score
So Lures do not catch fish!!

How many did you and your doctor friend catch yesterday Derek? About 15 or so up to double figures in a short session of 2 or 3 hours!!!

Pike of course, but hey, don't give us the impression that lures don't work. I once caught 20 perch in a short session on the fly.

You could have been fishing in the wrong place of course, or perhaps the real reason for blanking was your own incompetence!

sagalout

Reaction score
I have been livebaiting on this water for a couple of months with no sign of pike, I cannot gaurantee there are none but I dont think it's a significant risk.
Ron, sorry, who said lures don't catch fish? I didn't see that anywhere on this thread.

dezza

Reaction score
I went on my first ever dedicated lure session this morning. On the bank at 0500 left at 0900. Not a sniff. I tried spinners, spoons, plugs and jellies, fishy looking ones, worm looking ones, green ones, bright green sparkley ones and red ones. I tried slow, fast, jerky and smooth.

There was no sign of any perch feeding, which I must say is unusual for the water I fished.

I tied a #8 swivel to the line, then fitted a spring clip to the swivel and clipped the lures on, is that right?

Sorry, but it was the impression you gave.

sagalout

Reaction score
Hi Ron, no I wasn't saying lures don't catch, I was just reporting my complete and total blank. I suspect I could not have caught using livebait either, I dont think they were feeding. I shall try again another day.