Piking around derbyshire

Keelin

Reaction score
After a successful trip down the Erewash canal yesterday, im looking for a few more venues that contain pike in around derbyshire, can anyone recomend any venues around derbyshire?

Keelin

Reaction score
ok cheers for that, ive had a look at there website, I'll have to give that a go, it's not to far for me to travel either :)

Last edited:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
No worries. There are some decent fish in there if you find the right spots - between the two main weirs the water is deeper and slower. I suspect there are some big girls in there somewhere.

There cetainly are some big girl's in there as Paul say's, but in my experience very localised. But, if you're not too far away, and can make regular visits, you should find some.

Don't ignore the stretch below the road bridge at Borrowash, DCC I think. A few good 'uns down there too.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Below Borrowash bridge is Derby County AC as Derek says, they don't do day tickets though - it's around £35 - £40 for a season - more if you want to fish their other waters as well.

I'm not entirely sure but you might find one or two of the trout reservoirs, like Formark, might allow piking for a short time at some point during the year.

Keelin

Reaction score
will definatley give it ago then, is it worth waiting for abit of rain, or are these conditions better?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
will definatley give it ago then, is it worth waiting for abit of rain, or are these conditions better?

Paul will be more up to speed than me mate. But for what it's worth, for the five or six years I was fishing there, a little extra water and ''tinge'' of colour filled me with confidence.

Any queries or specifics, PM me.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
The stretch between the two weirs is always worth a crack (just down-river from Raynesway bridge) - the river level there doesn't vary greatly as it backs up behind the lower one of the two weirs. It is snaggier though as the flow doesn't scour the river, again due to the weirs.

Below that you will still find them but like Derek says a little extra water always helps. I've had them take boilies off me on the retrieve when barbel fishing nearer Borrowash.

Last edited:

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Try fishing the Erewash canal down near Trent Lock as there are loads of Pike and BIG Perch in there and i wouldn't be at all suprised if there's the odd Zander too, Derek, would you be able to confirm that? Knowing that the Soar enters the Trent around Trent Lock and it is believed that the Zander got in the Trent from the Soar no doubt some fingerlings have got pulled through the lock gates into the canal at some point.

Trevor

Keelin

Reaction score
Cheers Trevor, Paul and Derek
Some great information there certainly going to have a look at both the Derwent and Trent Lock end of the Erewash canal,

Keelin

Reaction score
Iv'e been told its fishing well down by shardlow marina, does anyone have any more information that this, what sort of rigs and bait should i use?

Keelin

Reaction score
Sorry Paul i ment Shardlow Marina, i was told to fish where the Trent enters the marina. this is availble on a day ticket from the marina.