River stret pegging for pike

Coxy

Reaction score
What i described as stret pegging may be wrong.
Just to clear up any confusion, the rig i was refering to, regardless of its proper name is fished down stream with a through the middle slider allowed to lay flat with a bow in the line between float & bait.

Thanks for the links Chris, food for thought.

Cakey

Reaction score
well since my last post Ive gone through my books of which 4 mention stret pegging
two of them are John Wilsons
the books are .....
THE COMPLETE COARSE FISHERMAN ...JOHN WILSON
COARSE FISHING METHOD MANUAL ...JOHN WILSON
THE COMPLETE FISHERMAN...IAN BALL
THE PRACTICAL FISHING ENCYLOPEDIA...TONY MILES,MARTIN FORD and PETER GATHERCOLE
both John Wilson books describe the method the same as Chris ,he says its the method he would choose if asked to select a method to float fish in running water ,he says "its the method guaranteed to present the bait completly static on the bottom ,exactly where you want it for contacting those larger than average sized fish for both winter and summer"
Ian Ball says "after plumbing the waterdepth,adjust your float to support enough line for your baited hook to reach the water bottom and allow an additional length of approxmently 12".
cast your line,keeping the rod tip low and pointing towards the water,hold your float stationary.make sure that when the line between rod tip and float is taut the lines off the water surface.
your baited hook rises,falls and wavers in the current fractionally above the water bottom.
when you want to fish a different stretch of water reel in and recast"
Tony Martin and Peter say "stret pegging need notbe completely static.having thoroughly searched one area,say 5 yds down from your sitting position let out some line and allow the float to trundle down a bit further.close the bail arm and the float will resettle."

the only thing in common is they all say the bait is static !

---------- Post added at 08:58 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

Stret Pegging
For all deepish runs close into the bank there is nothing that can beat stret-pegging. It's a brilliant technique for catching river barbel and chub.

• Remember to set the rig well overdepth in order to form a bow in the line which helps hold the shot in place on the bottom and allows the float to lie flat.
• Try prebaiting your chosen swim with mashed bread or stewed hempseed to attract the fish into the area.
• Your shot should be no more than six inches from the hook.
• Baits can be anything you like. Try flake, worm, meat, cheese, boilie, or trout pellet paste.
• In heavy flows switch to a bomb or link-leger attached via a Drennan ring.
• Cast directly downstream - not against the current.

• Put the rod in two rests with the tip angled upwards so line is held off the surface.
chub_stretpegging.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:58 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

nicked this one of the net...................

---------- Post added at 09:01 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Stret-Pegging

Something of a lost art - but a method which can be deadly - particularly if sport has been a little slow. Basically the rig is the same as before though now you fish a long way over depth as well as over-shotting the float. All the shot is bulked about 12 inches from the hook. Cast out to the head of the swim and ensure that you set the depth so that the float is on the surface. Your bait will be nailed to the bottom. The technique is about inching your bait through the swim. Do this by lifting the float so that the shot dislodges on the bottom and trundles a few inches downstream. Drop your rod tip to hold it in this new position. Wait a couple of minutes and repeat until the entire swim has been covered. The point where you move the bait is when you should be ready for a bite - which for some reason are always violent! I can picture what might be happening beneath the surface - perhaps the fish are inspecting the bait when it suddenly starts to leave their immediate vicinity - thus prompting them to make up there minds to have it! Pure supposition I know - but there's never anything subtle with the bites you get when Stret-pegging.

For Stret-pegging to be really effective your rod tip needs to be in-line with the float. Casting across the current won't work very well as it will mean you pull the bait out of line each time you lift 'to trundle'. Thus it works best on near bank swims - or it means having to wade. (And it's another reason for having a bit more reach that a 15' rod gives you).

chrisp_topweir.jpg
Stret-pegging from the compound at the top weir on the Royaltywith the levels a bit on the high side

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Blimey that's opened up a can of worms then Cakey. :D

I must admit I've spent an entire angling lifetime under the impression that the description I gave earlier in the thread is that of Stret-pegging. I checked a few online sources and they corroborated my version. Given that it probably wasn't scratched on the tablet under item No.11 when Moses came beetling down from Mount Olive it does beg the question which version is correct. :confused:

The fact that both Graham, and the late Barrie Rickards, two anglers who's opinions I would not dare to question, have dismissed it as not being SPing, means I'm happy to change my thinking.

Perhaps someone should point it out to several other higher profile anglers though.

Incidentally I don't think the fact that the bait can be inched thjrough a swim changes the set-up of the rig. I think the term pegging was always meant to suggest that it was a method geared at moving a static bait through the swim.

... oxymoronic though that statement is. :D