River stret pegging for pike

Coxy

Reaction score
Have'nt seen the method being used for a long time, seems to have fallen out of favour in recent years.

Some consider it a receipe for deep hooking but i don't & i like the method, it's great for presenting a bait on the crease next to a slack in flood water conditions.

Your thoughts?

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Agreed. Set-up properly it is an ultra sensitive method. I use the same principles frequently when river fishing float legered deads. It keeps the bait in place in strong flows and is a discreet way of fishing a float, the float being well away from the bait.

Something that my thoughts seem to differ on from most pikers is the idea that traces should be lengthy. I think using say a 24" trace, which I frequently see advocated, is asking for a deep-hooked fish, especially with modern supple wires.

Of course they cannot be too short either, but the use of an uptrace can help you keep the hook trace to a minmum length.

Coxy

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on Chris.
I have a couple of traces made up in my bin with the egg sinker inner tubes already attached to the trace swivel as apposed to the mainline.

The method also works very well with a short 12" trace paternoster rig used in conjuction with an uptrace or with a standard 18"-20" trace with a short weak bomb link tied to the hooks.

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on Chris.
I have a couple of traces made up in my bin with the egg sinker inner tubes already attached to the trace swivel as apposed to the mainline.

The method also works very well with a short 12" trace paternoster rig used in conjuction with an uptrace or with a standard 18"-20" trace with a short weak bomb link tied to the hooks.

I have a 'hinged' rig which I've written about in Coarse Fisherman before which does much the same thing Coxy. :)

Coxy

Reaction score
I would be intrested to see that Chris, unfortunetly i don't usualy read Coarse Fisherman.
I'll be offline for a few days now but would appreciate some sort of a diagram if you can put it on here somehow?, even an old git like me can learn new tricks!

Reaction score
This is the rig. I attach swan shot at the end of the uptrace instead of the lead-link and fish a popped-up bait, but it can be adapted so that a run-ring or egg sinker is attached instead.

hingedpop-upwobblingrig.jpg

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

This is a bit clearer, but shown here with a fixed lead set-up.

hingerigdiagram.jpg

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stret pegging is holding back occassionally as your float is trotted through a swim, isn't it, or that's what I've always been taught anyway. Laying on is a very sensitive method of fishing if set up correctly. I was fishing laying on style recently in a small river and was hooking perch, chub, roach,dace and bream perfect in their mouths/lips....no deep hooking at all.

Reaction score
Well I stand to be corrected, but my version of stret pegging is to fish a legered bait with a float set well over depth, as much as double the depth, and to allow a bow to form in the line which helps keep the bait static in the flow. The float lies flat and either cocks and disappears, or drifts further downstream on receiving a take.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well I stand to be corrected, but my version of stret pegging is to fish a legered bait with a float set well over depth, as much as double the depth, and to allow a bow to form in the line which helps keep the bait static in the flow. The float lies flat and either cocks and disappears, or drifts further downstream on receiving a take.

Yeah Chris that's laying on although I think sometimes people do call it stret pegging. It is a sensitive method m8 and should work well for pikin. John Wilson favoured this method and often used it for specimine fishing including old Esox.

Reaction score
Yeah Chris that's laying on although I think sometimes people do call it stret pegging. It is a sensitive method m8 and should work well for pikin. John Wilson favoured this method and often used it for specimine fishing including old Esox.

It's not the 'laying on' I've read about over the years Tigger. As far as I was aware laying on is fishing a single shot a few inches from the bait, big enough to sink the float and set a little over depth. It's a method synonimous with still water and there's no bow and no float laying flat. When laying on the float is set down low in the water and invariably lifts when a fish bites.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When laying on the float is set down low in the water and invariably lifts when a fish bites.

I think that describes the lift method Chris.

Stret pegging is a combination of float ledgering and laying on that ensures the bait is always accuratly placed and lies perfectly static on the bottom. A short float fixed top and bottom and set considerably deeper than the swim depth so the current forms a bow in the line between float and the bottom shots. This relieves the pressure on the float enabling it to lie flat and the bait to remain static with just a single BB, AA or swan shot (depending on current force) pinched on the line 5 to 10 inches from the hook. When the flow is to fast for a single shot to hold bottom then construct a mini ledger using a small ring plus 1 inch or so of thik line to which a swan shot or two are added.

That's out of one of John Wilsons many books. It seems people know different styles of fishing by different names which does seem to cause confusion to many of us.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Thanks again Tigger. As you say, there are so many conflicting descriptions of the various methods to be found and I've just had it confirmed by Graham M that your description is indeed correct. I really appreciate being put right. :)

...how does it go? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks again Tigger. As you say, there are so many conflicting descriptions of the various methods to be found and I've just had it confirmed by Graham M that your description is indeed correct. I really appreciate being put right. :)

...how does it go? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. :D

Your very welcome Chris........don't forget to tell me when I'm mistaken...which happens all the time m8 lol.

preston96

Reaction score
Your very welcome Chris........don't forget to tell me when I'm mistaken...which happens all the time m8 lol.

Your debate has given me a thought to apply to my angling.......debate is good....cheers both!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've just been reading about this method for pike in the current IYCF - John Watson talks about using it on the Norfolk Broads and rivers.

He uses an inline, sliding float set over-depth and adjusts this amount until the float sits half cocked at a 45 degree angle.

Bites generally lift then sink the float as the pike picks the bait up then swims off with it, he recommends striking after the lift as the float begins to disappear.

I can't see it working on bigger fast-flowing rivers like the Severn or Trent but I reckon it'll work brilliantly on parts of the Derwent this winter.

Cakey

Reaction score
just need someone to tell John Wilson that his stret pegging in his books are wrong :wh

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Stret pegging is a combination of float ledgering and laying on that ensures the bait is always accuratly placed and lies perfectly static on the bottom. A short float fixed top and bottom and set considerably deeper than the swim depth so the current forms a bow in the line between float and the bottom shots. This relieves the pressure on the float enabling it to lie flat and the bait to remain static with just a single BB, AA or swan shot (depending on current force) pinched on the line 5 to 10 inches from the hook. When the flow is to fast for a single shot to hold bottom then construct a mini ledger using a small ring plus 1 inch or so of thik line to which a swan shot or two are added. That's out of one of John Wilsons many books. It seems people know different styles of fishing by different names which does seem to cause confusion to many of us.

Cakey, I don't see what he says is wrong. Just that in the above quote he doesn't mention that the bait only remains stationary until you make it move by lifting the rod. Perhaps he hasn't been quoted in full.

Cakey

Reaction score
yeah maybe.....................

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

funny thing is in Johns picture of his set up it says "Stret pegging ...correctly"

and with the three dots ha ha ha

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
the bait only remains stationary until you make it move by lifting the rod.

That's it, if it was left stationary then it would be laying on and to fish laying on style you need to be fishing just off the end of your rod or pretty near by to do it correctly.