Recommend something that wont blow up!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Ok..short list..based on cost and performance...

Aerlex/Biomaster/Titanos
Emblam
Penn Surfmaster 70

Trouble for me is none of the shops up here sell these sorts of reels, so I am going to have to order from down south without comparing them in the flesh...eeeek

P

Peter Waller

The build quality of Penn reels is second to none, or so I'm told by people who seel tackle and can compare.

C

Carp Angler

Here Rob, what happened to the rod building feature that you were going to do?

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik, Its on its way. I have the blank, donated by Harrison. Its there new Chimera Barbel, and what a cracker it is. It will be rung with Fuji Sic's and has a rather nice Fuji handle complimented with cork.

I have been a bit ill with respritory problems so the docs thought sanding cork and using epoxy varnish would be a very bad idea... :(

Hopefully the rod should be ready for fishingmagic soon, and the article may take a wee bit longer..maybe the end of October....just in time for the big autumn barbel.

C

Carp Angler

Sorry to hear you weren't well, hope things are better now.

Can't wait for the article.

Wouldn't mind seeing one about pike flies again if poss :eek:)

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik, are you comming over from the dark side and leaving all those easy carp to catch some proper fish? :)

I should be able to get started this weekend as I have borrowed the digital camera from work.

I actually have some interesting new pike patterns I have been working on. 3 doubles and 6 smaller fish on Monday..and two cut fingers thanks to the flyline cutting in on the take....as a certain piker would say..Yeeeeeehaaaaaah

T

Tony O'dell

Rob, have a pair of brand new ( once out of box ) Shimano 14000 Ultegra XT's for sale....might be what you are looking for
Best regards
Tony

C

Carp Angler

I've definitely seen better build quality than the Penns, although the Surfmasters I had (the silver ones, they also do a Carpmaster that is black and costs the same) hold my personal record for casting distance (carp gear set up)

The best 'rough' fixed spools I own are the Mitchell 7500's, I have the pre baitrunner version and use it for beachcasting and spodding.
I've fished 20lb line straight thru for codding off the beach, winching in big balls of weed and they're still sweet as a nut.
Expensive, but absolutely superb build quality.
They're only available in baitrunner versions now and two options, the 5 bearing Pro and the 3 bearing big pit.

7500 pro
and the Big Pit

R

Rob Brownfield

I looked at the Mitchells, then the price, then the Mitchell again, then the price once more...and then put them back!

So you dont think the Penns are up to much..thats a shame...as I am sure you know..there multipliers are second to none.

The quest goes on...and on!

C

Carp Angler

Oh well Tony.
Are they on the classifieds page?
If so how much?

Remember, Rob only needs to cast 80 yards, your reels will cast 180.

R

Rob Brownfield

Tony, I sent you an e-mail asking prices etc....

Rik, never said I would not be using them on some easy english carp when next down south ;)...trouble is, the last three twenties have all come from under the rod tip..lol!

P

Peter Waller

I am surprised that anyone could find fault with the build quality of Penn reels. Inside, where it matters, they are sheer quality AND durability. I talk to an American tackle dealer on another site, he gets by far the lowest percentage rate, against reels sold, of guarantee claims and service calls on Penn than any other make.

T

Tony O'dell

hmmm....having problems adding my new email address to my profile...Rob, my email is tony.o'dell@getronics.com if you want any further info regarding reels.
Best regards
Tony

T

Tony O'dell

Rik, i have posted them in classifieds....in answer to your question they are 120 pounds for the pair.
best regards
Tony