Big Zander in small rivers

nigel cave

Reaction score
As an ex-Cumbrian living in the north of Portugal,zander are a new challenge.The Rio Ave is a local river, small by English standards its producing zander to nearly 8 kilos.The problem is 95%of the zander and all other fish for that matter end up in the pot.The locals fish with lures and night fishing is prohibited in Portugal.

C

Chris Bishop

Eight kilos - wow. Don't tell Dave Marrs - he'll be on the next plane.

daren heslop

Reaction score
Your just bragging cos u live in a place that sees sunlight.My advice is to pack in fishing and get a tan.

S

Stu Black

Sunlight? I remember that...its what you get when it goes really cold!

C

Chris Bishop

I'd love to fish for the zeds over there, or Spain or France. I used to think it was only a matter of time before someone got a 20 over here but I'm not so sure now, especially the way the weather's going and our rivers are changing. They definitely seem to do better in slightly warmer countries. What's your river like mate, slow and coloured/pacy spate..?

nigel cave

Reaction score
Its rainig at the moment,had one last week end live borga (small barbel) into dark . The guarda pesca carry guns.

nigel cave

Reaction score
Theres a dam at the top end this winter been bad bomding through.At the best of times you cant see the bottom. Fishes best as the waters dropping , as its controlled by the dam its difficult to predict.

daren heslop

Reaction score
A couple of years ago i thought a english 20 was nailed on.I still think it will come but it may take some time.Stu we are going to get plenty of that this weekend.I was supposed to be on the trent but have cried off.Minus six. No thank u.

nigel cave

Reaction score
Finding the big mamas sit out with big baits or roam . This river got to many features weirs, roman bridges over hanging trees.

daren heslop

Reaction score
I enquired about some z fishing on the ebro last year but the bloke i spoke to didnt seem to know what he was on about.I know its not portugal but i assume its a similar type of fishing in spain.

D

David Marrs

An 8kg Zed, how welcome would that be!!!

It would appear that the old Zeds do a bit better in the warmer countries alright, whilst looking for information on catfishing holidays I happened across a photo of an Ebro 20lber which was being used to promote a restaurant! Some guy advertised Ebro Zandering trips in the back of the 'Snapper' (ZAC mag) about 2 yrs ago, unfortunately I was the only geezer to enquire so he went back to Catfish trips.

With regards to a UK 20lb Zed, there is definitely a bit less interest in Zandering these days and hence not so much water is being covered. The Gt Ouse is the place I'd put my money on, its done stacks of big Zeds over the last couple of years and is stacked out with prey fish. Its also a massive venue with plenty of water for a big fish to lose itself within. There are miles of it Im sure never see an angler!
I keep plugging away on Ten Mile Blank, its hard but perhaps one day..........

<retires to couch, dribbling about an 8kg Zed!>

nigel cave

Reaction score
I only know of two venues which hold zeds in the minho region,which is above porto (oporto).Barragem do Alto Rabagao is a hydro-electric dam roughly the size of Derwent water.Its full of stunted carp borga and strangely gudgeon.The locals troll walleye style ,lures mainly.abit of a lunar landscape and full of noodies (plastic bags & clip on bells)in the summer.