Angling times

S

stuart palfrey

Did anybody read this weeks paper,they have a weekly page called your catch there were 4 photos of bad handling or practice.One a man old enough to know better has a 21lb pike no un-hooking mat could have been used the pike is covered in debris .A young lad has kept pike in a keepnet,another is holding a pike with his coat and yet another is holding a pike with a towel.All these could lead to pike damage.The paper should have added footnotes to each photo to educate these anglers and other readers.Your catch is judged by no other than Bob James.

daren heslop

Reaction score
I saw it Stuart.Its only a couple of months ago Matt hayes was in the paper trout fishing on lough mask saying in effect what a good job the people in charge were doing.No mention of the fact that they were still carrying out a wholesale slaughter of the pike.A fact he had to know.The mail is twice the mag and costs less.

daniel pearce

Reaction score
Your not the only one who saw it terrible my little sister would have known better than that

daren heslop

Reaction score
AT today bloke holding pike with another 2 on the deck.Where were they while he was catching the third.If the fella knows no better,fair enough but AT does.

P

Peter Waller

And this week AT is encouraging people to go after spring pike. A bit ahead of schedule though. AT really is no friend of the pike.

L

Lee Bowen

Plenty of nice looking fish on page 17 of AM, nice to see 2 poss.3 using mats.

S

stuart palfrey

AT this week was not much better and Daren is correct i also thought the same.I wrote to AT about these issues but they have not the guts to answer me in person or in the papers letters page.

D

Dave Slater

Possibly somebody from the PAC or a similar body should approach AT to ask if they can do a feature on fish handling. They would probably agree if it could be done as part of a series of articles, including some good photos. Has anybody thought of approaching them? Regarding Spring pike I think Rigwood & District AA set a good example in stopping this practice on their waters. It was a bit late as the loss of some very big pike in one of their pits promted this but better late than never.

daren heslop

Reaction score
Gobsmacked at the photo of the guy in the anglers mail this week.Telling everyone how good the p.a.c.and l.a.s.are with 10 pike laid on a mat. I know no one in the pac who would agree with such a thing.

A

Andy Doughty

That picture made me look twice, a couple of the fish looked quite battered. I will be writing to the Mail about it. Maybe we all should?

G

Gerry Castles

I sometimes wonder whether these pictures are deliberately included just to cause sufficient outrage so that we all rush off and buy a copy. I did. It's an appalling picture, Lord knows how he kept them alive if indeed he did. They do appear to not have that dried out look of dead fish and I note that the unhooking mat has been wetted down, so perhaps they were still alive. It still begs the question of how they were kept alive. They still use stringers in the US, you can buy them at BassPro.

P

Peter Waller

Why, at ?1.20, people still buy the rag never ceases to amaze me! Just as well to buy a qyuids worth of maggots, or a couple of shads, and go fishing!!

C

Chris Bishop

Is this the same Mr Waller who's won a stream of feeder rods, Polaris floats etc writing ascerbic letters to the very same organ..?

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi All,

I don't know about others but I buy the Times through the traditional season because it's too long between my favourite monthly mags. It's not all bad,Gary Knowles usually writes an interesting piece and I like to see whats being caught around the country.

Pictures like the one mentioned do make me wince though. I find it difficult to understand how they allow it, Mick Rouse is a dead keen piker himself and seems a decent sort of bloke, though I spoke to him this week and I got the impression he's not been too involved with the News Desk lately.

Is it just me, or is it 'De rigeur' to knock the weeklies nowadays?

Regards Chris.

C

Chris Bishop

I think the web's turned a lot of people onto a more interactive kind of media.

We've met up and had some great days thanks to this site.

I've met a lot of other great people, learned loads, had a lot of laughs and we've had the odd good fish out along the way.

Once you've read the weeklies, your relationship's more or less over. You've read that week's advertising feature for Fox and what have you got to show for it..?

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Actually, thinking about it I probably could live without A.T since discovering F.M.

I do visit a few other forums occasionally but I think F.M has a singularly unique 'brand' not to be found elsewhere. I honestly don't think there's another forum to touch it, or the crowd of people using it.

Regards Chris

daren heslop

Reaction score
I buy the weeklies for one reason they keep me in touch with whats getting caught and where in my local area.Saying that i suspect very few large pike get caught in the Yorkshire region without our local pac finding out about them so maybe if they carry on ill have to stop buying them.I dont fish waters that advocate the abuse of pike so....

L

Les Clark

I dont take the A.T orA.M, so may be missing out on news,but from reading these postings,A.T.= the sun,story at any price.