Kevlar Tress

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Has anybody used this as a trace material for Perch and Pike fishing?
If so is it any good?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I have no personal knowledge of this particular trace material. But like you I have been waiting for a responce on here from someone who perhaps ''has''. But in the absence of any feedback, I would be tempted to stick with traditional wire trace material.

Just my opinion.........

Sharky

Reaction score
I tried the Catfish Pro stuff but quickly gave up on the idea as it cuts quite easily with a knife or scissors. If you decide to use it for perch fishing I'd suggest change the trace after every accidental pike if that makes sense? I've never considered perch trace shy often having smaller fish chasing and nipping at the swivel on my trace, if you are thinking of live or deadbaiting for perch ignore me as I'm completely clueless in this area (and many others).

Butcherboy

Reaction score
I'm looking for a light trace material for an ultralight setup. I'm currently using a light wire setup but these are not lasting long.

preston96

Reaction score
I'm looking for a light trace material for an ultralight setup. I'm currently using a light wire setup but these are not lasting long.

My own recommendation is to decide if you are perch fishing or pike fishing.....ultra light has no part to play in pike fishing in any form.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
My own recommendation is to decide if you are perch fishing or pike fishing.....ultra light has no part to play in pike fishing in any form.

Understand and agree totally.
Perch are the target.

The Kevlar Tress is advertised for Perch and Pike fishing, I'm using wire at the moment because Pike are present in the lakes I fish.

Chico

Reaction score
I'd recommend the 15lb wonderwire for perch, very soft 48 strand. Certainly softer and safer than any hard mono and pike safe to boot. You can even knot it.

Sold here

Caliber Tackle

Last edited:

preston96

Reaction score
Understand and agree totally.
Perch are the target.

The Kevlar Tress is advertised for Perch and Pike fishing, I'm using wire at the moment because Pike are present in the lakes I fish.

When i perch fish i use nylon.........when i pike fish i use 30lb reliable wire....what i dont do ever is use treble hooks for perch fishing.

If a pike takes my perch bait and i dont land it because it bites me off it wont come to any harm.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
When i perch fish i use nylon.........when i pike fish i use 30lb reliable wire....what i dont do ever is use treble hooks for perch fishing.

If a pike takes my perch bait and i dont land it because it bites me off it wont come to any harm.

All I'm trying to get is some feed back about a trace material.
I'm using small light plugs and trying to get the best possible presentation while still fishing safely.
Hence wanting feedback before I make a decision to buy.

Why don't you "ever" use trebles for Perch fishing?
I'm using small plugs which have very small trebles, which have flattened barbs.

I have always taken my angling seriously and put fish safety top of the list. I want to catch Perch but realise I may hook a Pike, that's why I'm using wire at the moment. The lakes I'm fishing have Jacks in them but are not known to hold any large Pike. I do not expect to hook anything large. Yes it could happen, I'm using 15lb wire to 15lb braid so would have a real good chance of landing a sizeable fish.

Is it acceptable to leave a single hook in a Pikes mouth? Yes it happens as many people have taken them out when unhooking Pike but is it acceptable?
We are fishing, placing bent metal in fish. It will always have a risk at some level.

I don't believe at the moment I am fishing in an unsafe way and want to keep it this way so If anybody has tried Kevlar Tress........

norbert darby

Reaction score
i have used it for zander dead baits, as its very limp, but i do have my doubts about it.
the braid on the outside does look super tough. not like anything else i have seen, but not sure about the small single strand of wire in the inside.

the 49 strand wire avaliable these days is knotable, and very limp compared to 7 strand.

this would be my bet, but i did consider the idea of using kevlar tress while barbel fishing in an area where the z and pike have developed a liking to halibut pellets. (they also liked sprayed maggots on the severn this week end!)

i do doubt kevlars ability to deal with a big scrappy pike, compared to wire.

hope that helps.

hello every one. i have thrown my toys back in the pram. thanks for the concern. just got a bit of a grump on ..x