Broken

L

Lee Bowen

Does anybody on the list know of any good rod repairers who can join broken lengths? I had the misfortune to snap off the top 14 inches from my 6ft 6in lure rods on Saturday, and I am trying to find out if it could be fixed. Any help would be greatly received.

C

Chris Bishop

Two choices -

Sand the two bits smooth and join them back together with a spigot of hollow glass or carbon. You could do this yourself if you can get the right taper/dia spigot, but it can seriously affect the action, ie you'll end up with a noticeably stiffer portion of the blank.

Can you get the bott cap off..?

If so you could try splicing the rod. This is a bit harder and might be an idea to refer ro a book on rod making before you cut anything.

Bascially take the tip rong and any other rings or whippings off the snapped off tip and sand the end smooth but take the absolute minimum off to do this.

Then try passing it through the rest of the blank (don't pull it too tight...) and mark it where it potrudes.

Drop it back out of the blank and look for your tippex or whetever you marked it with.

if you're lucky, the taper/internal wall thickness will mean around an inch or more of the snapped bit should sit inside the rod when it's pulled through.

Then all you have to do is glue the spliced tip in with araldite rapid, taking care not to get too much on the outside, then when it's dry whip over the splice for added strength.

Done properly this will be nearly as strong as the rod was originally. You need just enough splice inside the blank to stop it splitting when you're casting or playing a fish.

P

Peter Waller

Insurence claim?

I have made good repairs using short lengths cut from a broken whip that I picked out of a skip ouside a tackle shop. A two or three inch spigot pushed inside the broken sections and stuffed with araldite has worked well in the past.

C

Chris Bishop

"using short lengths of a broken whip that I picked out of a skip..."

Have you been rummaging the bins behind Mistress Cyn's Massage Parlour again Pete..?

C

Chrisx Ess

I've still got a carp rod that gave up the unequal contest when I trod on it...(whooops!).
I tried fixing it using a spigot pushed up from the butt. But the first cast I made, with a mere 2oz weight, broke it again, and the second break was worse then the first. However, I didn't want to give up. I had another go, using a longer spigot and adding a sleeve - on the OUTSIDE of the break - from a piece of a landing net pole. Success! I've since chucked out quite heavy deadbaits with it, with no probs. I've not caught a fish on it yet, though....

P

Phil Heaton

Lee,
Don't try a DIY repair, keep trying rod builders. A half decent one will give you a honest and reliable opinion of any repair he might carry out, if it can be repaired I am sure that you will be pleased with the final cost and quality of finish.
Where are you in the country? I use one near Barnsley who is excellent.

L

Lee Bowen

I live in Nottingham. I've been in contact with a few of rod repairers down here and all but 1 has said it wouldn't be worth fixing. So i'm in the market for a 6/7 ft 1 piece lure rod with a casting weight up to 60g. Been looking at the Harris rods.