A good year for fry?

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I wondered if every one was noticing huge numbers of fry this year?
Certainly at Grafham I have never seen so many and I have fished there for 30 years.
Today I witnessed a shoal of probably 20 Perch herding the fry against the rocks of the north shore jetty and then launching a mass attack. Quite spectacular to watch as the water boils with fleeing fry and then erupts when the Perch go in for the kill.
I only managed to get one of about 1.5lbs, although I did manage to impale several fry when retreiving through them. The snag is they are so soft you can't use them as livebaits, they come off on the most gentle of casts.
Colin

G

Gerry Castles

The Thames this evening was like fish soup, baitfish topping everywhere.

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Colin,

Ditto, the stillwater I was fishing on sunday. I've never seen fry shoals like it!

Regards Chris

D

David Marrs

Hi Colin,

This year has been a top one so far for baitcatching on my fave drains and rivers. Interestingly, about 3 years ago my mates and I began catching the 'odd' bleak from the drains whilst baitsnatching, with the Old Nene being the only 'sure' thing for them, this year they are everywhere! One of my drains is throwing up Bleak the size of small Herrings!!! Only remains to be said that yep, they make the best baits ever!!!

Rgds,
Davos
'Ain't Zedding for Winners!!!'

D

David Will

Fry is showing on waters I fish, Colne Valley stillwaters and the Thames in numbers I haven't seen for years.They are not just Perch as in previous years, these are silver fish.

R

Ron Clay

The River Trent is solid with fry at the moment.

I am told that much of these fry are chub, roach and barbel.

This augers well for the future on England's greatest river.