stanborough lakes and Aldenham country park lake?

J

jim turner

this weekend, me and a mate are going to head off on the first piking trip of the season. We have two venues in mind Aldenham country park lake just up the road from me, apparently it has a big head of pike? or stanborough lakes with pike? and some zander? But i read that at stanborough the only baits you can use are sea baits because no, 'live or dead coarse baits are to be used' so do the zander there take sea baits? The only bait i could think of is may be a small rainbow trout from the tackle shop? any help on baits, pegs to fish e.t.c. preferable from some1 whos fished them, but any help i.e. from angling press, internet or mates.

P.S. the bloke in the tackle shop said if you catch a zander you have to knock it on the head? is that true?

Thanks any help is useful :)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Jim, don't know the waters you're going to fish, but as for what the tackle shop bloke said, give the zander a few extra silver fish instead and put it back.

J

jim turner

yea that what i was thinking seems a same to have to kill such a magnificent fish, but apparently they were put in the a couple of years back by some clever clogs. mnnnnnn tricky one this but may be if i only use sea baits i won't be put in that moral dilema

T

tony brooks

jim

try lamprey, its a sea bait i would argue - but i am no authority, they work for me for zander as well as pike,

the zander escaped from stanbr into the river a few years back and and have been caught at rye house, but i dont think they are that prolific....yet

by the way, for the price of day at bury hill you can get a season ticket for say cambridge albion, ely beet etc , then put
in some trips up the A1 / A10 and a zed is a cert

good luck... and put em back
Tony

J

jim turner

in case anyone wanted to know i managed to get through to the baliff today, he said they have changed the rules so no live baiting and coarse baits must be shop bought. he said there are now more zander than pike and these are mostly caught a few rod lenghts out. the 'offical policly' on returning zander is they should be killed, but this is only enforced by 'some old people' (his words not mine!) he said put them back but if anyone gives me grief about it i should leave it in a net untill he come round and he'll put it back. a really nice bloke and he's going to show where to fish on saturday, this is why i love fishing, a bunch of genuine people (most of the time) with a common interest. cheers guys.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Some big zeds and cats in Stanborough, close in is the tactic. Aldenham is/can be a good day out. Phone up and book a boat for the day.

R

richard gray

warren have you got the number for aldenham and any hot spots for the pike