storing traces

M

michael rouse

i had stored the traces id recently bought in an old container.the next time i used the traces i found kinks an the wire.what do you keep your traces in?

J

jason fisher

gardner rig bin or one of it's clones can't beat em for storing wire traces.

PTnymph

Reaction score
I agree with you Jason you can't beat them
Gardner also do them in large bin or mini bin

J

jason fisher

about a fiver an you can get about 10 to 15 traces in one of the big ones.

PTnymph

Reaction score
Actually they cost ?5.99 for the large ones and ?3.99 for the smaller ones

PTnymph

Reaction score
This how you do it Chris. There are Ten slots for the swivels and there are nine or ten non slots. In the non slots put a small map pin to hold the traces and wrap the wire trace in the oppsite direction. If fact you can get nineteen or twenty in one large rig bin.

K

Kevin Cox

I tend to take a lot of traces out with me made up of various different hook sizes, some with paternoster links allready tied on, which as you can probably imagine is a bit of a mess in a rig bin.
So i use a 30'' length of pipe lagging inside an old piece of plastic rod tube for my normal traces which tucks in the side of my rucksack & the ready tied paternoster rigs go in those small sealable plastic bags that shock beeds & alike come in.

ian hewett

Reaction score
I use a Fladen Fishing rig wallet costs about ?8.00 comes with 10 clear plastic wallets inside and you could double the traces inside or buy anouther one. They are compact and have loads of zipped pockets to take any extras you want like sharpening stone, rig wire etc. Seems good value for money and Iam going to buy a couple more.

C

Chris Bishop

I can get 9 in a rig bin (trap swivel between the wide pegs, wire coiled in the narrow gap...), find I need to take three or four to cover different trace lengths/wires/hook sizes/spacings and would dearly love to cut down.

Like Kev's idea, might have a go at something similar with a peanut tube.

J

jason fisher

chris i've got a clone one that the pegs are a bit wider apart and you can put the peg into the eye of the swivel, so i get more in that one.

K

Kevin Cox

Another good trick is to store hooks inside a length of pipe lagging on made up rods in your holdal, may sound obvious but iv'e not seen anyone else do it & it saves a bit of time on the bank.

B

Budgie Burgess

Look up the mini article Graham did on making your own rig bins a couple of years back on this site.

steve tapley

Reaction score
I make my own custom made ones as I find ones from shops not up to what I want. The ones I first made were made out of old treacle tubs or the like, a piece of wooden half inch dowl and plumbers foam pike lagging to suite. Now I have progressed to longer plastic containers that hold at least fifteen traces or more depending on how close I want to wind the traces on. I normally carry two trace holders as I never know when things might get out of hand as a lot of traces might only last one fish, especially if the fight is a hard one. If I have any doubts about the trace I scrap it as I make all my own traces as it's far cheaper in the long run. It's a pity I'm away from home as I have spares at home and I would have mailed you one.

D

Dave Silvers

I use an old PVA net tube, a smaller tube that used to have the net stocking over it inside a larger tube.
Drill holes in the smaller tube (I drilled mine in a spiral so the hooks weren't in a line) hook one point of the hook in a hole, wrap the trace around the tube and secure the loose end with a piece of electricians tape. Job done.

Big Whopper

Reaction score
The flat fox rig wallet is pretty good, although you them have the problem of where do you store it without bending it etc.

mark knowles

Reaction score
Store mine on a nine inch long four inch diameter block of balsa,hooks pushed in swivels secured with map pins,kept inside a small tubular biscuit tin about the size of a pasta jar.It came straight from the pages of Rickard & Webbs Fishing for big Pike and I've used it for about twenty-five years, the wood will absorb moisture from wet traces,something I would be wary of with plastic wallets,though I believe the cost of balsa has become prohibitive recently.