feeder fishing

Tony Nixon

Reaction score
just started too feeder fishing dont know much about it rigs bait and bite indication also when is the best time too strike

J

jon cotton

If you're talking about using feeders for pike etc, then just substitute a feeder for the lead on your usual rigs. AS for baits,indication and striking, same as usual too.

J

jim turner

i hav4e had some success using feeders for pike! either with mushed up fish in or with a spong section soak in fish blood or oil or fish additive. food for thought

M

michael rouse

If you had mashed fish in a feeder then wouldnt the pike eat the feeder and damage its self?

J

jim turner

i found that wasn't a problem as the fish were merely attracted by the feeder then ate the dead/live bait. and i always tried used the same oil as the fish but even when it didn't have problems. even if the fish did eat it i'd see then strike and pull it outa its mouth. if u get that?

M

michael rouse

It is a good tactic but i think Jasons idea of loosefeeding maggots or bread around your hookbait works well enough.

J

jim turner

fair enough i just have it as a method to try when nothing else is working, it worked very well with a live bait. o micheal i forgot to say well done on the 20 ive been try to catch a double for a year then caught 2 in 4 weeks way it goes i guess, was that pike from that reservior u were asking for tips on a while back? if so fair play. i'd love to catch it found a place which has some nice biggies in it but il wade through the smaller ones hard as it mayb! once again well done!

J

jim turner

sorry mate spelt ur name wrong in the rush meant michael sorry repeatedly!

C

Chris Bishop

Tried it, never convinced. Missed a few takes I assume were eels or other fish, caught the odd pike I'd probably have caught off a straight dead anyway.

If you want to boost the scent trail jab the bait up with oil, much less messy and you know the trail's leading straight to the bait if that's your bag.

Pointless with livebaits surely as you normally want them to free roam and search a swim or hold them off a feature or fancied spot off the bottom where the sight/vibration's going to do the biz..?

J

jim turner

well i was jus saying :'( i dunno i just find it useful as another tool in my amoury! i was using it with a livebait to hold it right next to a snag not the best now id rather use a fixed paternoster or use a sliding float and let it roam! i suppose if we never experiment we'll never learn eh!

M

michael rouse

Iv only been back once since i caught that fish.It is a lake which holds trout.Jim,at least you caught the first time you went piking.It went through 5 blank sessions befor my first pike.

J

jim turner

believe me u reap what you sow, the 10lb i caught on sunday had HUGE frsh teeth marks on it, that fish has my name on it now come the hard bit catching it! unfortunately where i live there are relatively few trout waters so i have to settle for canals and lakes, but i admit catching pike of any size,...... i love watching the float dance before slipping away! magic o well keep up the good work! and who knows maybe ill be the next one with a 20 fingers (and toes crossed) now if i reap what i sow im expecting a biggy from the cold wet blanks ive suffered! jt

Coxy

Reaction score
Tried most methods, IE mashed fish in a large home made feeder,concoction of diluted frozen fish oil on a leger link, cotton wool stuffed in a feeder soaked in oil & maggots in a feeder.
Would'nt say any of them made a noticeable difference in catch rates but it's worth a go if the goings hard & you want a bit of extra sent in the water.
Personaly i tip a little oil in a plastic bag with a deadbait, let it soak & then freeze it.