Canal Piking

J

jonathan warrener

Several canals in my area. Thought about giving them a try. Whats the best tactics to employ?
Id have thought a roving approach probably with lures is a better bet than static deads?
Or leapfrogging deadbaits?

Lewis Duffy

Reaction score
check it out with luresand wobbled deads first to check depths etc. then on your next few trips trie a leapfrogging approach, and after finding the best spots then use statics. Youll probably pick up a couple of pike on the lures and wobbled deads in the process.

chef

Reaction score
I was thinking of fishing my local canals
so what i thought of doing is taking the dog for a walk Sunday and asking any match or pleasure boys if any pike problems if i don't get any joy at least i've walked the dog

J

jim turner

o i can help here! look back through my threads theres one on canal piking, theres also one called 'killer swim' look there! rewards are good on canals key is to find, the bait fish, then your in for a good day! i had most success using a float legerd half mackeral, lives weren't touched all day! mind you might depend on conditions! good fishing and where in this country are you?

J

jonathan warrener

Derbyshire, not far from Erewash C., Chesterfield C.,Grantham C., Nottm/Beeston C.(i think they are different stretches of the same canal, but not sure) probably more too but never been much of a canal angler!

J

jonathan warrener

Thanks jim, and everyone else who posted on your killer swim thread. Plenty of ideas to go on. Now just gotta decide where to go...! Am i right in thinking the close season law on canals has been updated to bring them inline with stillwaters? ie abolished

J

jim turner

erm depends, from what i have worked out, the closed season on canals is over BUT........controlling clubs could keep it and where a river flows into and along with the canal that will have a closed season if you know what i mean? good luck and don't be afraid to move or change tactics if your not getting anything! most of my action came within 10 minutes of the bait being in the water though i'd give most siwms 30mins to 1hr! good luck again jt