method fishing

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
my works fishing club have just booked this years matches,3 of the venues are drayton res,boddington res and castle ashby.all respond well to method fishing and indeed drayton res is probably the best known method water in the country....
i`m just getting back into match fishing,only at a club/friendly level and havent fished at the above venues for a few years...
can any one reccomend a good proven method mix that they or a friend have used that may just give me an edge???
the last method mix i used was just a sensas one with a little added fishmeal...

Robert Pearson

Reaction score
hello nick if you have pole fish on the
first shelf with 1kg of worms and a few pints of castors you will catch plenty
of carp but use the stongest pole and elastic you can get. as for fishing the method use van den eynde method mixed with
browncrumb also a friend of mine caught on the float method with corn/bollies.

good luck

Robert Pearson

Reaction score
nick you want the groundbait to
breakdown to atract the fish so you
could use fishmeal with a method mix

D

Dave George

For this time of year the method feeder is a pretty safe bet at Drayton. As for mixes I suppose it all depends on how much you want to spend. I personally would use the Dynamite 'swim stim' in Green or Black. It is very fine and the consistency of the mix is easily varied by the amount of water you add. Start with small amounts of water and keep squeezing a handful until it sticks into a firm lump. Even though it is for the method I would still riddle it to ensure an even texture so that the dryer lumps don't fall off on the cast. Accuracy and regular casting are key requirements at Drayton, don't stop even if you don't get an early response, try and hit the same spot every ten minutes, use the line clip but there are some big b*****s out there so if you have to unclip ensure that you have counted the reel turns or marked the line to enable an accurate reclip.

M

mike smith 2

Cheap mix.Just 7 only just cover 5-6 pints of trout pellets with boiling water,stir,leave for 24 hours,push result through maggot or pinkie riddle.there you are cheap & works very well & will even hold caster,particles grated meat or a few maggots.Will last for a match

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
never felt confident enough to use the pellet soaked in hot water trick,i suppose i`m worried about ending up with a mush that is no good for man nor beast....one question mike,does the soaked pellets stiffen up after a while when fishing???do they need moistening every so often???

P

peter webber

Nick

Try this one it has worked well for me in the past.

2 X 1kg bags Van Den Eynde method mix ( red )
1 bag red bread crumb
1 tin sweetcorn ( liqudised )
1 cup cooked hemp
1 cup crushed trout pellets
1 cup baby milk powder

Mix this up then add:

1 tin whole sweetcorn
2 cups sml trout pellets

In the winter if I use this, first I will sieve out the feed in the Van Den method mix and leave out the whole sweetcorn and trout pellets.

Good luck

M

mike smith 2

the soaking method works really well,just keep it covered.I've never added any extra water.But it did take me a couple of goes to get the ammouts just right.the failures i used to stiffen up std mixes to make method mixes.The big plus with this method is that it's cheap & works really well @ ?27 for a sack of pellets which will last for ages & can be used on their own won't break the bank.like buying preprepared mixes will.

Dave Float

Reaction score
use the method mix i have mentioned before but add 1lb of crushed hemp to it.This will make the mix very sticky so it will hold plenty of particles for the carp to chow down on.A cheap alternative is to buy some vitalin dog food,its full of particals like maize and biscuit,just soak it with warm water add some fishmeal and away you go.

fred hall

Reaction score
Peter, I've just read your recipe for a method mix.
Are you Jamie Oliver in disguise?

P

peter webber

LOL I wish I was or at lest had his money.

I have more of them like that for method fishing and for general feeder fishing.

I enjoy making my own groundbaits up and catching with them, gives me so much more enjoyment than just using packet stuff off the shelve.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
just thought i would let you know,i was drawn on the boards next to the sailing club but unfortunately blanked!!!
i tried a method feeder,pva bagged pellets and straight lead and only got a few taps.
infact out of 20 anglers,only 4 caught with the winning weight being 19lbs for 2 fish.
what more can i say.......i`m gutted.

P

peter webber

I fished a match last sunday using the method feeder setup and the mix above.

The carp were in full spawn and as such not much was caught I thought that the two guys in the next two pegs to my right had betten me as they both had a couple of carp off the top on floating baits that were lager then any I had caught. But it turned out that mine might not of been of any size I had numbers and won it.

I was gobsmacked as I thought I had done badly but it turned out I had still done better then anyone else with a weight of 15lb 12oz a bad weight but a good result.