Thoughts on Sharpes Gordon Fly Rods

Paul Maclennan

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Sharpes Gordon Fly rod? If you do would you be kind enough to let me know if there good. I currently own two 9'6 6/7 greys greyflex rods and use a 7 line. Im double hauling and the rods cant take it very well. Greys have recommended I drop to a 6 weight line. With this cost I may as well buy a new rod that can take the punishment. Thanks.

Paul Maclennan.

J

jimmy degg

iwould like to know this answer myself, i am going into the fly fishing shop tomorrow so i will ask.or maybe you could contact sharpes themselves and post the reply on here, because i wouldnt mind one as well.

S

Shrek

I've not cast one myself, but from users remarks and reviews, they are a very good casting tool and can hold up a lot of line. For instance, one guy tried out a 10ft #7 and managed to hold up the entire length of a fly line with the backing knot in his hand to haul with.

The downside is they don't appear to give a lot of feedback when you have a fish on though as they don't have very much "feel".

Also, they appear to be more readily available than when they first came out, so either overstocking has occurred, or they have lost that initial "wow" factor.

If I were you, I'd look at the Greys Platinum XD range as well. Good reviews on this site and, when I have the cash, they will be what I'll upgrade to.

Paul Maclennan

Reaction score
Since I posted the above message I went for a days fishing. I had some casting lessons and I double hauled to get the line shooting out. My greyflex rod sheared two inches below the middle joint (2 piece). I am now definately in the market for a new fly rod and I'm going to have a good look around. I am thinking about a Sharpes Gordon, a Platinum XD or maybe a Bloke rod. What I want is a 7 rate rod that thinks its an 8 if you get what I mean.

Jimmy if you get to the shop drop me a line and let me know what you thought of the rod. I have visited the Sharpes site but to be honest it is really badly designed and there is not a great deal of information. I really think they are missing out on an oppurtunity with it.

I will be taking a little time and see what people are using and recommending I'm hoping once I find my "perfect" rod its happy fishing all the way.

Paul.

S

Shrek

You'd be wanting the Platinum XD. Go read Ron Clays review in the reviews section. He has one and thinks it is excellent.

He has the 10ft #7, but they also do a 9ft #8 if you're specifically after an #8.

If you can, find somewhere that stocks the rods you are interested in and then go and try them out. Any half decent tackle shop should let you do that. Otherwise, get in with the regulars where you fish and see if they will let you have a go with their set up.

Let us know how you get on.

chef

Reaction score
As the owner of several "BLOKE" rods i would wholeheartedly reccomend them .the 7# will take an 8# easily

J

jimmy degg

paul, iwent into the shop (stockport fly )in, cheshire) and he said the gordon would do the job,no problem. but i am now saving for a sage fli,9 foot 6in 7weight 4 peice on his reccommendation, for me it will be the rod of a lifetime so it will be worth the wait, he ( steve ) recons their is nothing to touch it , and they are still hand made in the usa, unlike the gordon which is made in china.hope this helps.

Paul Maclennan

Reaction score
To everyone who posted thanks for all your comments and advice. I think what I ideally need to do is try the rod/rods Im looking at buying and take it from there. Also get as much feedback from the people who currently own them as you recommend. I got the Greyflexs at half price so even when I sell them on I wont be out of pocket. It would be a different matter with a ?300 rod so I don't want to make a mistake in my purchase.

Jimmy hope you get your Sage rod soon and its a cracker to use.

Paul.

J

jimmy degg

chef, could ihave more info on the bloke 7# rod,ie.action,price and suppliers, they sound very good, and might save me a few quid, i am not a very experienced caster so a really fast tip action probably wouldnt suit me yet???

chef

Reaction score
In my opinion the 6# is the best rod in Mick's range(Bloke ) and is my goto rod for most situations, i use the 9ft version.The 10ft 7# is a little faster and casts better if you don't try to push the rod the 8# is a beast of a rod and more suited to saltwater or pike fishing , the 8# is a seriously fast rod !
I have had carp into double figures on the 7# and it handled them beautifuly. Once I have had some sleep i'll dig out Mick's phone number and P.M you it .If you tell Mick what sort of action you want he can usualy help Prices vary as to specs of the rod

Paul Maclennan

Reaction score
I just got a bloke 7 weight. I haven't had the chance to use it but it looks and feels great. If you get one spend an extra ?20 and get the carbon fibre carry case. Its a work of art in itself.

Macca.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Bloke rods are very good Paul. They are built on Harrison blanks and you don't find much better in the world than those.

My friend Ian Cloke has a Bloke. (sorry Ian I know it sounds strange) but I was very impressed with it.

Paul Maclennan

Reaction score
Hi Ron, its not just the blank that I think is good about this rod. You can see the attention to detail in the finish, the bag that holds the section and the rod tube I bought. I won't say anymore but will give a full report when I've had the chance to use it next week.

Paul.

I

Ian Cloke

It is a lovely rod Paul, I hope you get many fish whilst using it mate.

however, I hope you break it just before I come down to fish our "match". ;o)

chef

Reaction score
Paul ,
Did you go for the 10ft or the 9ft as the actions are differnt on both .
Ron , Mick Bell will build on any blank you wish but the xl range of blanks I belive are made to micks own design and superb they are too.
on the subject of Mick bell , He is possibly one of the most generous guys i have had the pleasure to meet ( the GIFT of a custom built 5# with the most beautiful reel seat i have ever seen had me speechless) get him in party mode (not hard :) ) and he'll have your sides aching.
sorry if the spelling is worse than usuall but have just got back from a 3 day fishing social with Mick and 20 other guys & girls from another forum
fishing was hard due to wind rain and lack of sleep! but a great time was had by all who went

J

jimmy degg

message for chef, you recommended a fly fishing website to me on an e,mail, and i cant find it??? can you remember it????