Gresham Angling Society

graham booth

Reaction score
Hi everyone. As part of my researches for my pike fishing history book I'd like to contact the Gresham Angling Society, but can find no contact details. The society goes back to 1881, and its early days are of interest. Anyone know of a contact in the present-day membership?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Once (and possibly still) almost cloak and dagger, shades of tap on the shoulder, would you like to join us here in MI5 / MI6...?, don't call us - we'll call you, the Gresham. I was a member through the 1980s, invited to join a full two years after the morning I bumped into a lovely old gentleman - he dismounting from an elephant howda, me on foot with a rod bound for a mahseer river in Nepal. He - a man from an old and hugely wealthy British family, a simply remarkable dry-fly fisher even in his eighties - just happened to be the Gresham's Chairman...

Somewhere in my library I have a privately published booklet commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Gresham, or The Grasshoppers as they were affectionately known.

Today, a call to the rodmaker Edward Barder might see you getting some info' (though not an offer of membership).

Last edited:

graham booth

Reaction score
Once (and possibly still) almost cloak and dagger, shades of tap on the shoulder, would you like to join us here in MI5 / MI6...?, don't call us - we'll call you, the Gresham. I was a member through the 1980s, invited to join a full two years after the morning I bumped into a lovely old gentleman - he dismounting from an elephant howda, me on foot with a rod bound for a mahseer river in Nepal. He - a man from an old and hugely wealthy British family, a simply remarkable dry-fly fisher even in his eighties - just happened to be the Gresham's Chairman...

Somewhere in my library I have a privately published booklet commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Gresham, or The Grasshoppers as they were affectionately known.

Today, a call to the rodmaker Edward Barder might see you getting some info' (though not an offer of membership).

Paul, my dear old fellow - why I haven't seen or heard of you since the days of the Salmon and Trout Association meetings in - what was the name of the pub? - near Victoria Street. Thanks for the reply and how are you?

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am still the same ever-enthusiastic, fishing-mad fella, Graham. Beset by a few too many sharp-elbowed me-toos and all-round nutcases a few times too often over the passing years for my liking, so ... still the same, doing the same, but doing it quietly, well out of sight of Rentamob in a no location supplied, impenetrable jungle!

robhale

Reaction score
I may be able to get you a number providing it's still on the sign on a nearby stretch of the river. (and providing it's correct).

If you don't hear from me soon, I've either not passed that way yet or have had an unfortunate meeting with a man with a dodgy umbrella. :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You'll probably escape with your life, Rob, but not your wallet, wealth and your nation's Economy, as I've been told it's peopled with bankers, City Boys, high rollers and hedgies now - to me, all very good reasons to stick to a largelessly fishless and pitbull-prowled Grand Union Canal...

graham booth

Reaction score
I may be able to get you a number providing it's still on the sign on a nearby stretch of the river. (and providing it's correct).

If you don't hear from me soon, I've either not passed that way yet or have had an unfortunate meeting with a man with a dodgy umbrella. :)

Many thanks for that rob. I'd go myself, but it's a bit far from Norfolk on the chance of a number being on a gate. I look forward to your message.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I wrote in my first reply, contact Edward Barder. It was he who contacted me via a fishing forum a few years ago to ask me to give a talk at the Gresham's 125th Anniversary Dinner. I very politely and pleasantly declined his kind invitation, telling him that I have very happy memories of my time in the Gresham and of its Chairman, Bertram, a great personal friend as well as fishing pal despite the fifty years that separated us in age, but that I no longer did fishing talks.

Last edited: