Berkley Ironsilk

C

C. Roger Bradbury

I don't get it! about 2/3rd of the reviews say its total rubbish (in particular no knot strength) while about 1 or 2 says its o.k. and 1 or 2 say it is good.

Are folks using different knots ?
Different strengths ?
Was there a bad batch or two ?

What are we missing ?

Y

yoggy

I`ve used other Berkley lines in the past and found them to be perfectly satisfactory.As a general rule of thumb the yanks usually make excellent fishing lines.But Ironsilk i found awful,line-lay,knot strength etc..etc..

One of the best all-round fishing lines on the market today is amazingly one of the cheapest..Daiwa Sensor.I`ve used this line from everything to Roach,Tench,Barbel and Pike,and never had a single problem.If you shop around you can buy this line in a 1250m spool for around 6 quid!!! an absolute bargain.

E

Evan

Tried it a while back in both 14 lb and 4 lb strengths and just couldn't get on with it. Knotting almost impossible, knot strength pathetic with even the most carefully tied palomar / grinner / updated archer's loop knot etc...

And terribly springy, constantly escaping off the spool, open the bail arm and end up with half a mile of the stuff in your lap.

Plus which muddy khaki / light brown opaque colour ? Smooth surface finish aiding casting, but a very small advantage compared to the disadvantages. Not to my taste in the end at all.

For basic float fishing / ledgering I have gone over to PowerPro braid mainline - 8 lb strength gives same line diameter as equivalent to 3 lb mono - plus a modern type mono or flourocarbon hooklength. Best of both worlds IMHO....

Mind you, I agree that for value for money, quality and every day use Daiwa Sensor is hard to beat. Even if using braid I use Sensor as backing line, then just put 50 m or so braid on top. Cuts the cost of using braid more than a little ! One 150 m spool does 3 reels instead of one. And when (honestly) was the last time a taking fish ran out more than 50 m of line off your reel....

bigdaddycane natte

Reaction score
i go fishing about twice a week off a rocky channel. i have used the ironsilk line for about 2 months and still have the original spool on there. i have never had a fish get off and i don't miss many bites at all. ive caught about 30 catfish and a dozen walleye/pike and i've only retied the hook twice and i have NEVER had a problem with this line. the line is still smooth. With regual mono, fireline, spiderwire or any other braids ive tried them all. they all get cut up by the rocks or the zebra muscles and the line needs to be replaced every 3-4 outings. Ironsilk has been a blessing in the sky for me, i got i think the 300yd spool on eBay for a little under $8 with shipping and it will be the only line in my tackle box. i did have problem with line excessivley coming off the reel fast the first few uses but it "softens" up after a few trips. for me it is as stated...ironsilk

G

gavin bissell

berkley ironsilk is about the best pike line you can get i reckon its characteristics are low stretch and low memory. The important thing to remember is to spool the line off in the correct direction onto you're reel. It should also be a good feeder line in the lower breaking strains. I also got mine off ebay for pence and have used 4 12 14 17lb for various fishing styles. I cant imagine how some people have problems with it.

FLUKE

Reaction score
It hd some bad press with a bad batch of the brown which broke in all the wrong plces. Hasnt really recovered and is now discontinued.

M

MarkTheSpark

I'm with the fans. I've got two reels loaded with 6lb for barbel, chub and tench, etc, and it's as supple a line as I've found, lowish diameter and with very little memory. Can't vouch for its abrasion resistance.

I had big problems with knots at first - it doesn't like strangulation knots like half bloods at all. Grinners seem to work - the opposite of what Evan says. I can't explain why I should get on fine with it and others don't. I don't doubt Evan's honesty or expertise; maybe we tie grinners in a differentway.

I suppose the answer for those who want to try it is buy a spool and test it at home until you have a knot which is working.

I will say this; it's not rubbish. It's well-made and tests out at its BS properly.

M

MarkTheSpark

Just looked again to see what it is I'm tying, and it may actually be the uni-knot DIAGRAM HERE

Not sure how it differs from the grinner, but this is the one I use successfully.

F

Fred Bonney

Well,it's been available for 4 years and still being bought,so there must be something right with it!