Home made Feeders

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Now i often read about those who make their own Floats, but, i don't recall reading about anyone who makes their own Feeders, whether they be Cage or Swim feeders.

Why is that ?

Is it because they are so cheap to buy anyway that it just isn't worth it ?

If you do make your own feeders, or just alter ready made ones to suit why not share it with the rest of us.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Thanks Frank .... it will certainly come in handy, for making unusual size feeders, from very Small, to Big and bountiful.

I also found this link by Dave Lumb ...

Barbel Now - DIY Tips

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

And here is one for Cage Feeders from BFW ...

BFW Article -

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
If I go to the Trent I see plenty of folks fishing for barbel using home made feeders. They tend to be fairly agricultural but do the job perfectly will. They are usually a lot more robust than anything from the major tackle manufacturers, they need to be.;):D

Reaction score
I use plastic gutter mesh - comes in 15m roles from B&Q.

Can be cut with scissors, but robust enough to form a stiff feeder.

Cut to size.
Role over and join the ends using 2 small tie wraps. Clip off the tie wrap tags - DONE!

I add a strip of lead flashing and a loop of coated braid.

The add large river leads up to 8oz and dead cows as required.

The good thing about this type of feeder is that in a snag the feeder can collapse and pull free or it rips.

I keep a number of pieces of mesh plus tie wraps in my bag as spares. I can make and replace a feeder on the bank in a couple of minutes.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Thanks eveyrone, some great ideas coming in.

It appears that you are all a lot more of an adaptable bunch that i first gave you all credit for.

Frank Elson

Reaction score

Cut to size.
Role over and join the ends using 2 small tie wraps. Clip off the tie wrap tags - DONE!

The good thing about this type of feeder is that in a snag the feeder can collapse and pull free or it rips.

I keep a number of pieces of mesh plus tie wraps in my bag as spares. I can make and replace a feeder on the bank in a couple of minutes.

Now that idea I like !

The bad one

Reaction score
Steph when you fish the Ribble as I do at least 2 days a week, you don't want to be transferring your bank account into the Tackle Barons bank account :D
6 casts, 6 feeders gone :eek:
So you make your own.... then you write an article on how to make them ;)

Yep that's me
DIY - Big Swimfeeders

---------- Post added at 02:35 ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 ----------

Cut to size.

Might work on you know where, but that's baby snags water Matt! Wait till you meet Mother of all snags waters in 2012. Then you'll have to rethink the dead cows, as it would be cheaper to replace them with real cows :D

Oh and you'd better get up on the church roof stripping the lead now ready for 2012 start. :eek:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Well thanks for the write up Phil, it's the efforts of others like yourself who make life for us others much more easier and saves some of us money too.

I've never seen, never mind fished the Ribble but from what you say it sounds like it can be a problematic river to fish, costly too if you let it :D

Reaction score
WARNING - A SAFETY NOTE

If you are considering moulding your own leads using home made wooden moulds then be aware than moulton lead can explode or spatter violently if moisture is present (in the wood). If moulding lead then all parts used must be clean and dry

watatoad

Reaction score
Take a trip to a £1 shop or have a look in any pharmacy look for women's hair curlers, instant open ended feeders just add a bit of lead or use some SSG weights they come in a few sizes and work fine and you can get a big bag full very cheap.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I can see me now, walking in to one of those womens shops "i am as bald as a coot" and purchasing hair curlers, i'd be on Youtube in a matter of seconds :D

Frank Elson

Reaction score
I tried looking for hair curlers... they only seem to come in pink, pale blue or yellow... not colours I want to fish with.