making liquidised bread and fishing with bread on a canal

Keith Hampson

Reaction score
Hi I am going fishing this weekend on my local canal and want to fish bread punch, its full of roach, chub, bream, perch and small tench, I would like to know how to make liquidised bread, do I cut the crust off and bang it in a blender or leave crust on? How do I feed it to, do I use it like groundbait and feed large balls of it in or little and often? What size hooklength and hook do I use? What size punch do I need? Iv3 never fished with bread so I am unsure how to prepare and fish with it, how do I store it? Or am I just as well buying bread crumb groundbait and using that? I intend on fishing with the pole, I also have so hemp seed to but can it be used effectively with bread? I will be taking maggots to. Do I fish on the bottom with bread? Will any loaf do? And will 1 loaf be enough for an 8 hour session?
Sorry about all the questions but I've not been fishing long and I am a total novice when it comes to fishing with bread.

Regards Keith

Last edited:

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I just break slices of bread in to smaller pieces and them shove them in the blender and blend it until it becomes very fine Crumb (i know others who prefer to cut the Crust off) personally i don't bother. I then feed it as Little and Often and when i say little i mean a Thumb Nail size piece, bread can quickly over feed the smaller fish and it's bites your after. if you are using the Pole i was use a small kinder pot or similar pot to feed depending on how many bites i was getting. Start with no feed and if you get bites put some feed in.
Believe me unless you are having a blinder of a day you will not be using a whole loaf as hook bait. Take some very fresh slices of a Quality Bread and cut the crust off them, now roll each slice with a roller so as to thin them slightly, and then place them in a Plastic Food Bag or something similar, repeat this process for as many slices as you think you will need. You can feed Hemp if you like but you may find that the fish become preoccupied on it.

I prefer to fish mine on the Bottom, but you may have to string the shot out so that if the fish do come up in the water you can still hit in to them.

If you are fishing the Pole a Hooklength of around 6 inches will be ample. A fine wire hook, something like a size 20 Kamasan B511 and perhaps 1.5lb - 2lb Hook Length to a Number 3 or 4 elastic.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
As per all the above replies but on stillwaters, it can also be fished on the waggler, bulk shot around float with dropper about 9" below, 6mm piece of punched bread (I just compress it between my fingers and punch it out) on a size 16 hook. The above set up will allow the bread to drop slowly so you can attract bites through the differing depths. If the smaller fish are up in the water, then change the shot to get the bait down quicker.

If I try to use too small a hook, I find it difficult to attach to the bread so have to use a smaller punch. If using a piece of flake for larger fish I would go to a 14 or even 12 hook. Don't be afraid to squeeze the bread tightly around the hook shank, it will expand in the water and if not compressed tends to float (not a problem if carp are on the top). If necessary reel in and just gently squeeze, it should sink when recast.

During warm weather I only take about a quarter of a slice out of the bag at a time, once the bread starts to feel dry you will find it comes off the hook very easily, this makes the bait last longer.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
This: Fishing the bread punch, Talk angling feature
is one of the best web articles on punch.
Apologies to FM for quoting another site.
London-speak alert - "boundary" means a fishery or "beat"- old LAA stewards would be responsible for a match section between two boundaries and the term gradually shifted its meaning.
A bit like "Specimen".

How do you get the liquidised bread to the bottom ? Is that the way to fish it or as a cloud ?
I tried it with pva bags , but of course they floated , will try next time with pebbles in the bags.

chav professor

Reaction score
How do you get the liquidised bread to the bottom ? Is that the way to fish it or as a cloud ?
I tried it with pva bags , but of course they floated , will try next time with pebbles in the bags.

its horses for courses of course, but on a slow flowing river - (maybe a canal too????) take a handful of crumb and squeeze it. the harder you sqeeze it the denser it is and it should sink quicker - but it still breaks down when it takes on water on the river bed.

If you experiment with the amount you squeeze the crumb, you can effectively have a bit of control over when and where it breaks down....

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I always put a bit of crumb in, and there are some water where the whole loaf gets mixed in together. I cut the crumb off the loaf, liquidise the crumb and bread on their own first, then mix them together to the mix i require.

I have also found that if you add a little water at the bankside, it helps get the mix down quicker.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If you liquidise it fresh(ish), and squeeze it together when you throw it in, you trap air in it; the harder you squeeze; the longer it floats. This can be VERY annoying in a flow/skim...
BUT in this bouncy state it's probably the best form for the groundbait feeder (plastic-tube-with-a-few-small-holes type, rather than mesh).
Assuming an ordinary canal, not flowing, you get the bread down by waiting for it to sink; the slowly-spreading trail through the water is your advertising campaign.
Adding milk powder enhances the cloud - icing sugar, I'd not heard of. Remind me to revise this thread in the winter!

Slightly dried before blitzing, you do indeed get a finer crumb more quickly, but too dry and it starts to behave more like white crumb groundbait, which is cheaper and less hassle, so better bought...
Slightly dried, blitzed, sieved, frozen, and blitzed again while frozen can give a superfine feed, for "scratching" days when you need to feed bits the size of a lentil.

Getting bread to the bottom in a flow is a whole "nuther" matter, liquidised is not the best way except in feeders, and if you use a dropper, best check in the margins that your feed isn't going to float on release... Mashed is usally simpler. Plus gravel, if necessary.

bangme33

Reaction score
love using bread regards of colour,

your canal sound perfect to fish ,
mines got trollies tyres and motorpike in it thats about it

C

chefster

Fish with hookbait just touching bottom ,strung out bulk of number 11,s,pot in 1 small pot of punch crumb and fish it out till bites cease,then pot another ball of punch crumb etc.The thing to remember with punch fishing on the canal is its always instant,but can blow out really quick! if you dont get bites quite quickly ,i would suggest you start another line up with squatt or pinkie etc:D:D:D

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Not sure if it helps but one tip from way back was always to top up with a ball of licky (liquidised bread) after a boat had been through one's swim on the canal. The old hands swore that you'd often catch bonus fish at these times and if it often turned out to be true.

I remember bagging up on roach up to about 3oz and, after a ball following a boat, suddenly a skimmer bream of about a pound cropped up. Big points in a match.

Hope it helps...:)

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Bread liquidies easier if left to dry put for a day or 2

Or toasted first

Glad I'm not the only one. I like to dry it out by hanging it in a mesh bag in a warm place for at least a fortnight. I like an unsliced loaf. I cut the crusts off and keep separately then cut the de-crusted loaf into slices about two or three inches thick. Once it is properly dried you can store it in like that for literally months without any fear of it going mouldy. It can be liquidized in a blender and used as crumb or soaked overnight in the full slices and used for mash.

I think it 'liquidizes' for a much finer crumb too which has less chance of feeding the fish off.

C

chefster

Glad I'm not the only one. I like to dry it out by hanging it in a mesh bag in a warm place for at least a fortnight. I like an unsliced loaf. I cut the crusts off and keep separately then cut the de-crusted loaf into slices about two or three inches thick. Once it is properly dried you can store it in like that for literally months without any fear of it going mouldy. It can be liquidized in a blender and used as crumb or soaked overnight in the full slices and used for mash.

I think it 'liquidizes' for a much finer crumb too which has less chance of feeding the fish off.

Then its not liquidised bread- its just white groundbait and not right for punch fishing on the canal-liccy bread should always be done fresh;)

Chris Hammond ( RSPB ACA PAC}

Reaction score
Then its not liquidised bread- its just white groundbait and not right for punch fishing on the canal-liccy bread should always be done fresh;)

Let's face it there is no such thing as liquidized bread. There is finely crumbed dry or fresh bread.

..Bead doesn't form a liquid unless you add water.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge re canals. I don't fish them. I do fish drains though, which are often much the same. The dry bread method works fine for me on those types of drain.

Last edited:

MRWELL

Reaction score
For very fine crumb always use dry bread but if you are after a stiff mix then fresh is the better to use and one i would use if using bread punch,use with hemp and vitalin and you have a potent mix.

Funny that the baitdropper has been mentioned here because many think that the dropper is only for rod use but in fact it can be used on the pole and it gives you spot on feeding,just fill the dropper with your bread mix (it makes no difference how it is mixed) then lower it in to your swim once it hits the bottom it will release the bait in a nice tight pile,this will save the bread from floating all over the place and once a fish hits the bread pile it will explode and cause a feeding frenzy (thats the idea behind it) no need for pole pots or feeders if using this method,just have one set up for this purpose on a power top kit section and when used just remove and put your match top kit on and fish over the top of it,job done,your swim will be primed and ready to go ;).

Stan.

C

chefster

For very fine crumb always use dry bread but if you are after a stiff mix then fresh is the better to use and one i would use if using bread punch,use with hemp and vitalin and you have a potent mix.

Funny that the baitdropper has been mentioned here because many think that the dropper is only for rod use but in fact it can be used on the pole and it gives you spot on feeding,just fill the dropper with your bread mix (it makes no difference how it is mixed) then lower it in to your swim once it hits the bottom it will release the bait in a nice tight pile,this will save the bread from floating all over the place and once a fish hits the bread pile it will explode and cause a feeding frenzy (thats the idea behind it) no need for pole pots or feeders if using this method,just have one set up for this purpose on a power top kit section and when used just remove and put your match top kit on and fish over the top of it,job done,your swim will be primed and ready to go ;).

Stan.
You would only use this on deep water though ,would,nt you?? not really suited to the shallow track on a canal,as the idea is that the liccy flutters down in a cloud to entice the fish in Would be good on the river as well......