litter on our river banks.

redfin123

Reaction score
After a life time of wonderful fishing I am appauled at the amount of litter left on our river banks,especialy the witham and trent at dunham bridge.We all know who the culprits are but the angling clubs seem powerless to do anything about it, or more likley can,t be bothered. I pay my money and after do some clearing up before I can start fishing.I have complained to the bailif and the club secretary but all I get is, quote what can we do about it,unquote. The culprits are night fishing building fires boozing cooking fish they catch, and leaving all the bottles and cans and rubbish for us mugs to clear up after them. Its about time the clubs grew a pare and got tough with this scum. Littering is a crime or are they exempt. It makes you wonder dos,nt it.

flightliner

Reaction score
Redfin, I fully agree with you, I too fish the Trent from time to time and in the last few years the situation as grown from bad to awful to downright shocking on one or two venues that I visit. I have heard many complaints from lifelong anglers such as yourself, one aspect in particular being that regulars pay for a ticket when a bailiff shows up but the EU guys simply feign ignorance or give the standard "I no understand" answer in order to get away with it. The regulars are in despair and quite rightly say why should they pay when the other guys dont , but I think such sentiments will fall on deaf ears, the club/s seem pretty apathetic when dealing with these sorts of issues but very proactive when it comes to finding your money (I do like your phrase "its about time the clubs grew a pair"- most apt,I must bring that in somewhere later)
I do sympathise with your feelings, leaving litter in the quantities that I have wittnessed is . to them, someone elses problem not theirs. We know its far harder to take stuff to the bank than it is to take it away. Many of the do-gooders would say that its down to education but a short sharp shock in the trouser department (I said I would!)may just make the situation a bit better for all of us that enjoy these places for our fishing.

little oik

Reaction score
we have had access to some waters denied because of this (Farmers not at all happy with livestock wandering around with the possibility of eating rubbish ).We have even seen sofas and chairs dumped near to swims
Its not just the EES either .Either hurt them in the pocket or find out where they live and return the compliment a hundred fold

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Litter problems often lead to angling bans, especially if accompanied by anti-social behaviour. Not an issue where i now fish as most (if not all) club waters are well looked after with good rules that are followed to the letter..

dezza

Reaction score
The situation under Dunham Bridge is absolutely shocking. There are 8 or nine swims there which are free fishing and all sorts of cretins are found in them.

The Rotherham and Scunthorpe banks are also not without litter louts. I regularly pick up rubbish varying from old beer cans to used hook packets and groundbait bags, so it is anglers who are making this mess.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I counted 50 individual pieces of litter in a roughly 20+10yd stretch of bank recently. To be fair it was 50yds from a main road and a chip shop. But there were 3 cans of empty sweetcorn included. Why anglers leave these on the bank is beyond me. I guess it is some sort of "look at me I'm hard. I dont obey any rules and I leave littler where I want" kind of attitude. Pretty tough some of these guys!

Reaction score
ON one of my club waters there is a major problem with litter - mainly from overnight carpers!

What is amazing is that some guys often do collect their litter and hang it on a tree branch in a carrier bag along with other carrier bags containing their turds! Why don't they just take it home?

My club has now installed CCTV on this water, but really should not have to go to these lengths and expense.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
ON one of my club waters there is a major problem with litter - mainly from overnight carpers!

What is amazing is that some guys often do collect their litter and hang it on a tree branch in a carrier bag along with other carrier bags containing their turds! Why don't they just take it home?

My club has now installed CCTV on this water, but really should not have to go to these lengths and expense.
I know. its crazy isn't it. I think biiger signs spelling out the message and some prosecutions will maybe work but, I am loathed to have to say that.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I went to have a look at a few swims that I fish regularly in the late autumn on the Hampshire Avon below Salisbury.

On rounding a bend I saw a bag of rubbish laying on the path and as I stooped down to pick it up a young voice behind me said;

"I'm sorry, thats mine, it must have blown off of my chair and I didn't notice it until I got to the car park where my Dad collects me"

(The car park in question being about a ½ a mile from the swim.)

Just goes to show that not every young angler leaves their rubbish behind. Nice to see too.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I went to have a look at a few swims that I fish regularly in the late autumn on the Hampshire Avon below Salisbury.

On rounding a bend I saw a bag of rubbish laying on the path and as I stooped down to pick it up a young voice behind me said;

"I'm sorry, thats mine, it must have blown off of my chair and I didn't notice it until I got to the car park where my Dad collects me"

(The car park in question being about a ½ a mile from the swim.)

Just goes to show that not every young angler leaves their rubbish behind. Nice to see too.

nice to hear it Peter

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We all know who the culprits are
The implication being it's eastern Europeans, Poles to be more exact.

Well, in truth, I visited a part of southern Poland about 4 years ago and there was a lot of rubbish around the streets of their city. I thought perhaps it was encouraged as the streets themselves were rather unkept, broken paving, cobbles missing in quite large areas, and a huge crater about 1 metre across on the main road back to the airport. It did look bad and I have found tackle packets myself on the bank and no doubting where they originated from with prices of 4 zl on the packets.

In contrast, I spent last week in Hungary, in Budapest their capital. NOT ONCE did I see any litter on the streets, not even the back streets, not even cigarette ends as each litter basket, and there are loads of them, has an ashtray mounted on the front. Teams of workers are constantly going around sweeping up, but in all honestly, there isn't much to sweep up. One of the cleanest cities I have ever been to and even puts us to shame.

Why it happens that some people want to spread litter is beyond me. It happens in our local woods near a makeshift laybye, which isn't really, just that cars parking there have made it so. I was even thinking of placing a notice on one of the trees saying:

WHY BOTHER TAKING YOU LITTER HOME WITH YOU?
JUST DROP IT HERE IN OUR WOODS
AND WHEN IT LOOKS LIKE A SH!THOUSE, AS YOUR HOUSES MUST,
PERHAPS YOU'LL FEEL MORE AT HOME WITH IT.

Only problem with that is, the idiots will think it's serious. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fortunatley we don't suffer a lot of litter on my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon, I've been fishing there for many years and its never really been a problem.

My experience is that you tend to find much more litter on uncontrolled stretches, or those without regular bailiffs too.

Taken the Lower Itchen, great river fishery, well bailiffed and kept and little or no litter around.

We were at a commercial in the midlands on Saturday for an annual match and the pool was perfect, absolutely no litter anywhere, clean banks well kept and decent facilities as well.
A credit to the owners!

On the way back down the motorway I was passed by a large person carrier with the occupants chucking all sorts of litter out of the windows.
so its not just a problem for the rivers.

Truly disgusting!

bails

Reaction score
Litter is a problem across the whole of society and there aren't enough people speak up (including myself) to embarrass those caught in the act.

All too often you see people dropping crisp packets from window, only this weekend I watched a lout with his mates blatantly throw a beer can into a field.

The government and general public need a campaign on how disgusting it is

flightliner

Reaction score
I live very near to a "natural" woodland cemetary in lovely open countryside. A notice board just inside the perimeter asks visitors to take away any dead flowers so as not to clutter the place and to keep exactly what those interned there wished for-- in short a wooded setting. Thats what people do to the letter. Then, on leaving the place and walking in either direction you come across thrown away dead bunches of flowers by the wayside on what should be a nice country lane-- absolute twonks!!!!

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I and my wife visit my son and his wife and family (three children)at least twice a year and travel around regularly while there.The trip from the ferry to their house is 80 miles and along that route you would hard pressed to fill a small carrier bag of rubbish and the same applies all over the country. On the odd occasion when you do see a full litter bin its because it s due for being collected. The fishing areas are the same and many stretches of river are also nature trails and as such are treated with respect . Just why it should be so different here is hard to get your head round.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

P S I forgot to mention my son lives in Denmark.

redfin123

Reaction score
hi michael, I agree why sould it be any different here, I guess the litter louts don,t care about state of our country side or river banks. If some one dumped some rubbish on there door step they,d be the first to complain. Was,nt there a law brought out stating that littering was a crime and would be dealt with accordingly, ive never heard of any body being find for dropping litter have you??

flightliner

Reaction score
I and my wife visit my son and his wife and family (three children)at least twice a year and travel around regularly while there.The trip from the ferry to their house is 80 miles and along that route you would hard pressed to fill a small carrier bag of rubbish and the same applies all over the country. On the odd occasion when you do see a full litter bin its because it s due for being collected. The fishing areas are the same and many stretches of river are also nature trails and as such are treated with respect . Just why it should be so different here is hard to get your head round.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

P S I forgot to mention my son lives in Denmark.

Mike, I think i'm right in saying that the woodland cematery I talk about is no more than a mile or so of where you live.

watatoad

Reaction score
A There was me thinking the thread was about a new dress code for fishing, perhaps a return to tweeds, shirts, ties and waistcoats...hehehe

River bank or town centre its an attitude problem and one that is not easy to deal with. But on private angling lakes or even commercials there is no excuse for anyone getting the blame but an angler leaving litter so lets all just make sure we are all clean and tidy.

terry m

Reaction score
Fortunatley we don't suffer a lot of litter on my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon, I've been fishing there for many years and its never really been a problem.

My experience is that you tend to find much more litter on uncontrolled stretches, or those without regular bailiffs too.

Taken the Lower Itchen, great river fishery, well bailiffed and kept and little or no litter around.

We were at a commercial in the midlands on Saturday for an annual match and the pool was perfect, absolutely no litter anywhere, clean banks well kept and decent facilities as well.
A credit to the owners!

On the way back down the motorway I was passed by a large person carrier with the occupants chucking all sorts of litter out of the windows.
so its not just a problem for the rivers.

Truly disgusting!

That is my experience on the Avon & Stour also.

The thought of someone using a bag as a toilet and then hanging the bag in a tree for someone else to happen upon is simply revolting.

From a general litter point of view, I think we are a poor example in the UK. I travel regularly in the Eu and beyond, including Poland, and in my experience it is hard to find a place where litter is strewn around with apparent abandon in the way it seems to be in the UK. Discarded fast food cartons are my absolute pet hate.