12 hours to catch all the British freshwater species......

I

Ian Cloke

Is it feasible to catch every British freshwater species of fish, in twelve hours? Matt Hayes & Mick Brown took 30 days to catch the 31 recognised different species SPECIES & VENUES LIST, but I honestly think we (FM members) could do it in 12 hours. We have the advantage of local knowledge, and we are spread accross Britain (and the rest of the world;-)) so between us I reckon we can pull this off. What I NEED is your help I need some input, as to how many people we will need to succeed? What venues? What time of year? etc. etc.....

This (if it takes off) could raise some cash for charity. The charity would be open to selection, by us, the Fishing Magic members. Also it might be a feather in anglings cap as a whole, as we will all need to unite and fish for one goal, as a team.

If ANYONE has ANY suggestions/ideas, PLEASE put your comment below.

Thanks, Ian.

captain carrott

Reaction score
are you including them ferrox and the other things that don't exist apart from rhumours in scottish lochs?

like char

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I will gladly snare a few stickies and minnows if they are included.

I

Ian Cloke

Captain, this is something that is open to debate mate, some people might know where to catch them??

captain carrott

Reaction score
all we need is 14000 people in scotland to catch them and leave the rest to mark wintle and andy nellist in dorset.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
One dubious one on the list is mirror and common carp = same species.

In our FM race I had 19 counting species in freshwater plus loach. Didn't try for ide or koi, and spent half my time sea fishing. I was also at work for 5 days.

As for 'every' species where do you draw the line? Their list is missing a few!

I

Ian Cloke

Well should we draw up our own list then?? If so, what species should be on it? Should it be restricted to native British fish? Should it have more, or less species than the great rod race has?

As I said before, it's all open to discussion;-))

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
1. Trout
2. Catfish (wels)
3. Salmon
4. Char
5. Carp (mirror,common, wild = 1)
6. Koi/ghost (=1)
7. Ide/Orfe
8. Grass carp
9. Tench
10. Rudd
11. Crucian
12. Gudgeon
13. Dace
14. Ruffe
15. Stickleback
16. Seatrout
17. Rainbow trout
18. Pike
19. Chub
20. Bleak
21. Minnow
22. Barbel
23. Zander
24. Grayling
25. Bullhead
26. Loach

That's their "30"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add

27. Brown goldfish
28. Pumpkinseed
29. Eel
30. Silver bream
31. Sun bleak
32. Perch

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Mark, should Sea Trout be in there? After all, it's freshwater fish? What's a Sun Bleak?

How do you propose it works Ian?

I

Ian Cloke

Looks good to me Mark, let's see what everyone else has to say.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Steve,

Seatrout are migratory trout, and are usually caught in freshwater. If the number of trout species ever get worked out (last count 4) it might be less confusing. Brown trout and migratory seatrout are the same species, and they don't breed true for survival reasons.

Sun bleak are aka motherless minnows or morderslichen ('scuse spelling), found in the Huntspill and other Somerset waters.

I forgot brown bullheads, a small type of catfish.

I

Ian Cloke

Steve, what I think is that we select a date & start time, then simple go for it;o)

People would say which fish they think that they are likely/hopeful to catch, once the species have all been allocated to members, we select a date & time to start. Then once the event has started, each fish caught is photographed(at the side of a daily paper, until the time is up. Hopefully we should catch each species numerous times, within the 12 hours, although 1 or 2 may prove a little elusive.

This is open to EVERY member, reguardless of experience, age etc.....

E

EC

Another angle would be to try and solely concentrate on the more elusive species!

Specifically those mad things that live in the big lakes/lochs, although doing it in 12 hours will be a push!

captain carrott

Reaction score
one of the problems is unless it's over night in the middle of summer we would be highly unlikely to get a cat on the bank.

the char there's more chance platting fog than getting one of them in 12 hours.

salmon you ain't too likely to get one of them in the middle of summer.

i can think of a swim on the thames where you could do the perch, roach, bleak, chub, dace and pike from, with the chance of tench, common carp, barbel, bream and ruff turning up if you fished it right as well.

woody knows where that one is we fished it together, and me and andy fished the opposite bank.

J

Jim Crosskey 2

I can guarantee that if I try to catch a chub I'll put a bream on the bank!