Fishing in Marrakech?

Andrew Calvert 3

Reaction score
Has anyone out there any info on any fishing in Marrakech? Have a holiday booked at the end of march and want to take the travel rods. I believe there's some trout fishing in the streams of the Atlas mountains and I also recall a Go Fishing program from a dam there, I think it was after catfish, however I cannnot find any real information or guides online. Any help will be appreciated, even if it's only to take fly or lure gear with me.

M

MarkTheSpark

What there is in Marrakech:

1: Poor people
2: Smelly people
3: Smelly places
4: Scary people
5: Flies
6: More flies
7: Things you won't want to eat
8: People you don't want to smell
9: Food you don't want to smell
10: Dead fish you don't want to smell

That said, I did find this which could be helpful. the freshwater fish bit names a lake in the Atlas mountains but I'm told you won't get a bus there; it's quite a drive.

Good luck!

1ag

Reaction score
What you get in Marrakech part ii

1 Poor people trying to make a living for themselves and for whom a 10 dirham tip, about 60p, is like winning the lottery.
2 Friendly people. Try stall 117 in the food market for the finest examples!!
3 Extremely helpful people.
4 Brilliant food (not a chippy in sight) from traders who guarantee "no diarrhoea for three years" - and it works!
5 Magnificent scenery in the Atlas mountains about an hour out of town.
6 Crystal clear rivers.
7 Rainbow trout in the mountains. Think the season opens in May from memory. Before that the fish are "too small" according to the guide. Try Taxi amarrakech for a 4x4 day trip into the mountains. Rachid in particular is a real mine of information about all things Marrakshi !
8 Traders in the souks who take a polite "Merci" (taken to mean No thanks) for an answer and won't hassle you. A trader who will go out of his way - literally - on his moped to find you exactly what you want.
9 A waiter in the Cafe des Epices who will chat about football as you sip your mint tea and can tell you about the Moroccan player who had a spell with Hibernian in Edinburgh.
10 The owner of the Restaurant Foucauld who insists that you visit the buffet as many times as your stomach can comfortably allow.
11 Reasonable taxi fares. In spite of horror stories about Marrakech taxi drivers and rip offs, our driver on dropping us off at the airport and being asked how much it was, replied, "Comme vous voulez" - "Just what you want". Now that's not something you don't hear every day here!
12 KFC and McDonalds but that would be an insult to the local cuisine - and anyway what's the point of going all that way to eat rubbish you could get at home?

As far as "scary people" are concerned. I'd rather walk through the crowds in Jemaa El Fna after dark than walk through parts of some UK cities! Smells? Ever been downwind of a landfill site here?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
11 Reasonable taxi fares. In spite of horror stories about Marrakech taxi drivers and rip offs, our driver on dropping us off at the airport and being asked how much it was, replied, "Comme vous voulez" - "Just what you want". Now that's not something you don't hear every day here!

:) That's a standard line from every rickshaw/taxi driver in the 3rd world, offered daily to unsuspecting tourists. Try giving him 10p and see what transpires! :)

laguna

Reaction score
7 years ago Andrew Calvert 3 went to Marrakech to catch some fish and has been there ever since.
Apparently, according to "one silver" he is enslaved as a full time fisher catching fish in order to pay his taxi driver his extortionate fare back down the mountain.