clip on polarised lens

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

As I now need varifocal spec, does anyone use those clip on type of sun glasses for fishing

I've seen some clip on polarised lens in Climax and am tempted to get a pair - and info would be good

Steve Pope

Reaction score
The wonderful world of spectacles, all I know is I've just returned from Dollond and Aitchison and feel as though I've been mugged, somehow my wallet has been relieved of £600 yet I should be pleased because the sunglasses came free.

And I couldn't have polarised because of the frame I chose...............hopefully I won't have to go back for a couple more years!

soffit

Reaction score
The wonderful world of spectacles, all I know is I've just returned from Dollond and Aitchison and feel as though I've been mugged, somehow my wallet has been relieved of £600 yet I should be pleased because the sunglasses came free.

And I couldn't have polarised because of the frame I chose...............hopefully I won't have to go back for a couple more years!

Are you boasting or whinging?

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Anyone know if polaroid is a all or nothing thing? Or do you get better polarisation [sic] if you spend more|? I don't mind looking like a dork if I get nerds specs; as long as they are as good as you can get...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I wear contacts now all day, just take them out at night and even then, I can leave them in the odd night now and then - like tonight. I should have reading glasses, but I don't read when I go fishing, when I do require them a cheap pair of 1.5 diopter lenses from any chemists will do. So now I can wear any polarised glasses whilst fishing.

If I don't wear contacts I have a standard pair of glasses matched for my eyes, of course, and a second pair of fine variables for reading the screen and a book, but I have to swap if I get up for a p.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Or do you get better polarisation [sic] if you spend more|?
No, I don't think you do. You just pay through the nose for a designer name to sit on your nose. Polaroids, the brand, are the best, but there are many available on the high street, Boots for example, that offer excellent value.

Steve, you should have gone to - (Nah, not Specsavers) Vision Express. The last lots I got were nowhere near that price and the standard vision frames were titanium, the lightest glasses I have ever had. At times I wonder why I want contacts, but it is a freedon thing.

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

I wear varifocals and the problem is according to the optician my prescription has changed.

She convinced me that the "best" lenses are what I needed as the ones I have are giving me problems, dizzyness etc.

Then I said I would like the transitions and before I knew it the lenses were costing more than £400. The frames are £109 and that gave me a free pair of sunglasses with the varifocal lenses etc.

I have used the other shops but was pleased in the past with the service at D and A but I have to say I'm reeling at the moment, I was expecting to pay around £350.

My missus wears contacts and they cost around £20 permonth so if I get three years out of the new ones it doesn't feel quite so bad!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I have the Diawa clip ons and they are fine . Only £12....

These are the ones to get - but in the amber colour. Excellent. Mine are now a couple of years old and I can highly recommend them. One of the best angling related purchases I made in recent years.
Do NOT buy the brown or grey polaroids (even if they are only £2!!) because the amber colour will let you see five times as many fish.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Steve

I had standard distance glasses at spec Savers 3 years back - 2 or 1 cost me £200 and for that I got a standard clear pair and a polarised pair of distance glasses, now I need varifocals - the 2for 1 deal was on so for £200 I got a clear pair and a reacterlite pair - to add polarised would ahve set me back another £200

so the polarised pair from 2 yeasr back stay in my fishing back but I do sometimes forgwt to swap from them for coarse to fly bag

Cheap clip on at £12 (Amber in colour - thanks Geoff) would mean a back up pair in each bag

watatoad

Reaction score
Steve

I had standard distance glasses at spec Savers 3 years back - 2 or 1 cost me £200 and for that I got a standard clear pair and a polarised pair of distance glasses, now I need varifocals - the 2for 1 deal was on so for £200 I got a clear pair and a reacterlite pair - to add polarised would ahve set me back another £200

so the polarised pair from 2 yeasr back stay in my fishing back but I do sometimes forgwt to swap from them for coarse to fly bag

Cheap clip on at £12 (Amber in colour - thanks Geoff) would mean a back up pair in each bag

Yes the blues are not too bad but the brown ones are total rubbish plus they always give me a headache. Just make sure they work when you are in the shop pick up another pair and turn them so as to look like a right angle as you look through and a good Polaroid lens will go black and you wont see anything.

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
If you can get to Croydon then give Optilabs a try. They have a wide range of frames including all the top designer ones and for a fraction of the price of High Street opticians, They are better known for the superb sunglasses they sell. They manufacture the lenses on the premises and their customer service is second to none. They are without a doubt the best opticians that I have ever used regardless of price.