Which Pole?

S

Stevie 12345

Out of them 3 I would go for the Garbolino pole, not a big fan of Mavers, nor are many people I know.

Have a look at the MAP range also, they do some good mid priced poles.

rob marsh

Reaction score
ive used a garbolino for some time now and its never let me down just gonna upgrade to the 796 comp, i no people that have had mavers break on them far to many times so as far as im concerned spend ur hard earned cash on a garbolino

rob

stikflote

Reaction score
stevie
whats wrong with mavers ive had three of them and have just bought a new one

Reaction score
Thanks, for your help to date. After further advice from the Maggotdrowner siteI am now looking at a Shimano Exage 14.5 mtre Competition pole second hand for around ?250-300. Any further comments taken on board.
Mike

S

Stevie 12345

Stik,

Theres nothing drastically wrong with Mavers as they sell too many poles for them to be a poor product, but there are quite definitely better more reliable products out there.

Its not secret that Mavers have had there problems over the years, I know more people that have had problems with mavers than any other pole. Personally, I would always go for a Daiwa pole, bit more expensive but a lot more reliable.

stikflote

Reaction score
i think the reason we know people who have problems with maver poles is that there are more of them about ,you do see a lot of them
ive never had problems with them ,i could do with a lighter match pole most mavers seem to be at least allrounders

Reaction score
The main problem with Maver poles (and other Reglass manufcaturered poles) is that the Italian designers want to make a stiff pole for less money so to do this they scrimp on the resin content. This makes the sections a lot more brittle and can collapse at the slightest dink or non-noticable damage. Also with the advent of the very fast tapererd poles that Maver are bring out, the poles are too stiff once it starts to bend past the topkit, meaning a dead spot is produced and that is the weakness. The Daiwa Tournament Pro at ?2k also suffers this problem with very flexible top kits, but as soon as it reaches the number 4 section, it stiffens up too much. This is why the number 4 on the Tournament Pro is notorious for breaking.
Garbolino have got it just right with regards to the poles now and the actions. Stiff in use, but bend through out when a big fish is hooked. If you manager to break a Power Legion on a fish then you have either damaged the section some how, or you shouldn't be using a pole in the situation in hand!!!!
If you can push the budget up a little, the G-Force Power is a much nicer pole to use at longer lengths than the Power Legion, as well as being stiffer and just as strong.

Reaction score
Many thanks for all your pole wisdom. I have bought a secondhand but in good condition Shimano Exage Competition 14.5 Mtre pole. On a bit of a budget at present but I'm told by almost everyone that this is a great pole for the money. Also light & stiff & can be used at full length if required.

Antony Grigorjevs

Reaction score
Exage is spot on for what you have paid mate. I got exactly the same. Paid ?250 for one with 4 top kits and a cupping kit. Light, stiff, reasonably strong....what else can you ask for at that price?!

Antony Grigorjevs

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the holdall!It's more like a medium sized rod bag than a pole holdall!!!

Reaction score
Just bought an Exage, used once, found it great, only used for roach about 8oz-1lb size, but enjoyed it, about 30lb of fish for3.5 hrs.

Ships out lovely, even when it rained, allthough there was slightly more grip. Only tried match top with a No4 elastic.