electronic bite alarm recommendations

xenon

Reaction score
having decided to bite the bullet and start cheating (i.e. get a bite alarm) my head is now reeling from all the blurb i am researching-it's doing my head in-so can the Fishing magic collective suggest a reliable and effective alarm (budget is £50 or less) Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the trouble to reply.

garethdwatkins

Reaction score
+1 for the Fox M's... can't go wrong with these, simple, reliable and cheap. For 99.9% of fishing you don't need remotes and dozens of controls.
If it beeps when you get a take that's all you need.
cheers
Gareth

justin ackroyd

Reaction score
Or even look on eBay, lots of really good fox models for under 30 notes. Even tho there the older models they will last you ages. Just read the descriptions carefully. Look for es, St, stx, mx, loads to go at.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been still got my original herons and optonics from the 60s and 70s and a few others . but the new cheap nash are a gem in my book they do everything you need for under £25 each

maverick 7

Reaction score
Try the even cheaper ones.....the alarms produced by Leeda, Browning and Shakespeare and the like, they are very good for around £14.99 ish.

Electronic alarms are invariably very reliable these days...whichever make they are.

Electronic gadgets such as these have made enormous progress since the Optonics days. I am not that keen on using alarms when I'm fishing but I purchased a couple of Leeda alarms about 7 years ago and although I have not used them all that often... .....they work as good as the day I bought them.

Maverick

flightliner

Reaction score
I still have my original optonics. Been using them since 1978, i think that Dellareed(?) held the patent on the things for many years that kept alarms pretty much in their court but when it expired lots of manufacturers started making them. . There may be some on e-bay. I also have a Fox job that I bought as an emergency spare that is ok. It does seem that there are loads about now that are both good value for money and reliable.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still have my original optonics. Been using them since 1978, i think that Dellareed(?) held the patent on the things for many years that kept alarms pretty much in their court but when it expired lots of manufacturers started making them. . There may be some on e-bay. I also have a Fox job that I bought as an emergency spare that is ok. It does seem that there are loads about now that are both good value for money and reliable.

Yes you are right they were made by Dellareed based in Margate kent and marketed by Sundridge I bought mine in 76 they are leaded . I sent one back in 90 and because it was a original they fixed it free of charge. I have a large selection of spares Wheels Windmills Ears and bolts . Retro carp fishers pay good money for them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Yes you are right they were made by Dellareed based in Margate kent and marketed by Sundridge I bought mine in 76 they are leaded . I sent one back in 90 and because it was a original they fixed it free of charge. I have a large selection of spares Wheels Windmills Ears and bolts . Retro carp fishers pay good money for them.

They pay good money for the Delkim converted version, but not usually for the standard Efgeeco/Sundridge ones. I still have two tidy and boxed somewhere, if I thought for one moment that they were worth the trouble to sell, I'd do it without thinking. While they were the best available off the shelf at the time, they are rubbish compared to some of the really cheap and nasty stuff available now.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They pay good money for the Delkim converted version, but not usually for the standard Efgeeco/Sundridge ones. I still have two tidy and boxed somewhere, if I thought for one moment that they were worth the trouble to sell, I'd do it without thinking. While they were the best available off the shelf at the time, they are rubbish compared to some of the really cheap and nasty stuff available now.

There is a man in Cheshunt that pays good money for the cases he converts them. he said there is a big demand for them.

flightliner

Reaction score
There is a man in Cheshunt that pays good money for the cases he converts them. he said there is a big demand for them.

I was sat bream fishing last summer and a guy came up behind me-- he was a carp angler and seeing my optonics offered me £100 for the pair right there and then.
I have just done a tidy up in my garage and found two that have been converted Delkim style (maybe not done by Delkim but in the style of-- GPO speakers etx). They are not assembled and do need someone with good electrical skills and a little patience to get them working again.
After reading this I am open to offers.
ps, a PM as I may not have access to a computer for some several days.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I use a couple of old Optonik alarms both bought off eBay for about £7 each. The work fine and are robust and water proof. One has a spare four blade sensor wheel stored inside that I sometimes fit if zander or perch fishing. I've had them for years and they will probably last me years. Can't fault them.

I see some of the locals using alarms with multiple LEDs and adjustable tones that are so loud that they wake the dead :eek: Not for me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats what I have too, great basic alarm, if it bleeps when it should and keeps waterout, then that's all I need!

While I really do agree Kev, you have to admit that there is a certain, Je ne sais pas ce que, about the reflection of the purple haze light spreading up the rod blank while the Delk's remote vibrates in your pocket . . . . Oui?

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Thats what I have too, great basic alarm, if it bleeps when it should and keeps waterout, then that's all I need!

Same here noknot. for some tho the "bleep" seems to have to be so loud as to wake the dead !!.:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

OOPS ! Nicepix--- sorry, missed your post saying much the same thing---- must be all the noise!

Last edited: