Sunday looking OK. weatherise. Anyone....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
....out this weekend?
I'm working Saturday but it looks like a wet day for all of us.
Sunday I have no match planned so It'll be a practice session for my forthcoming silvers only match at Lakeside fishery near Aylesbury. Not fished it in winter before and it's a deep lake, up to 12ft. I'll have a go at slider wagg, bomb and top 3 pole rigs for the nice roach and skimmers I know are there.

Anyone else out this weekend?

Keith M

Reaction score
I'll be trying to improve my lure fishing along with my son, trying to catch a Pike or two.

Keith (BoldBear)

Last edited:

bigfish74

Reaction score
Just finished my last night till tuesday so hoping to get a day pass off the mrs but baby due in 10 weeks and a whe bedroom to get sorted the usual stuff decorate build flatpack this n that carpet down strewth hlw many hours in a day a d nkthi g today as its ber birthday

Andy

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It's been such a frustrating time since the turn of the New Year with either regular rain and wind or just rain and more rain,,,,
It's come to the point where I leave it until the 11.20 weather forecast (after Newsnight )before making a decision about the following day and this, along with scanning the various online weather updates pushes me one way or the other and whether I should defrost bait overnight..
To date I haven't defrosted much!!

Sunday, from the weather update on the TV this morning, suggests reasonable weather so I'm going for roach (in this mildish spell) on a still water, BUT they also said last night that the forecast could change due to the position of the 'low' sitting over us

So it's roach for me, but TBO I would be happy sitting by the water without catching, it's reached that stage!!

Good luck to all anyway!

Note to me...must sieve the mags in the garage and change the bedding to keep them in prime condition (hopefully)....

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Depending on the weather they are giving heavy rain in the Essex area now and the level of the Chelmer I t will be either the Bec or the Chelmer. If the rain is heavy may hold off till Monday which they are saying will be dry.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The local rivers were in good shape last week, well within the banks and carrying a normal flow with just a tint of colour. We had some heavy rain last night with some more to follow so I'll be keeping a look out - probably out a couple of times mid/late week.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I'm going to try and get on the thames at Abingdon somewhere, time and river levels allowing. Can't make up my mind on what to do though.... liquidised bread and flake for roach/ chub? Big lump of meat for barbel? Deadbaits for pike? Probably only have a couple of hours so not sure I can get it all covered in the one session!

john step

Reaction score
....out this weekend?
I'm working Saturday but it looks like a wet day for all of us.
Sunday I have no match planned so It'll be a practice session for my forthcoming silvers only match at Lakeside fishery near Aylesbury. Not fished it in winter before and it's a deep lake, up to 12ft. I'll have a go at slider wagg, bomb and top 3 pole rigs for the nice roach and skimmers I know are there.

Anyone else out this weekend?
Peter, if it's anything like my local deep lake the roach are well off the bottom in shoals.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on how much impact what rain is forecast has on the river level. I might leave it until Monday. Saturday is a write off regardless of the weather as it's a lunchtime kick off for my football team.

mick b

Reaction score
Serious rain forecast for Saturday and further risk of flooding all points South :eek:mg:

Looking at next week its more of the same:eek::eek::eek:

Will it ever stop.

Tried the middle Test yesterday and when we called it a day it was above the sills of my car with myself and another only just getting through it and onto the tarmac road.....whew!
Must have rose 6" throughout the afternoon and certainly a good job we never stayed on until dark.

Only the hooligans wanted to play..........should've stayed at home :eek:mg:

daji

Reaction score
I have the week off next week so will be out and about Monday. Forecast tells of sunny spells and showers which will hopefully be little more than a light drizzle. I'd still rather fish in a storm than be at work :D

maverick 7

Reaction score
Off on the river on Sunday.....never fished this particular venue before but I have heard it is very good when it's carrying extra water......hoping for a few big chub and maybe a roach or two .......on the stick float of course.

Will let you all know how I get on......

Maverick

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
My weekend started yesterday-- I went into lincolnshire and tho my plan didnt work out as I had hoped it would ended with over seventy rainbow trout between two and three lbs with the two best going 5-4 and 5-3.
I,ve never had so many trout before in one sitting, an interesting day to say the least.

mick b

Reaction score
My weekend started yesterday-- I went into lincolnshire and tho my plan didnt work out as I had hoped it would ended with over seventy rainbow trout between two and three lbs with the two best going 5-4 and 5-3.
I,ve never had so many trout before in one sitting, an interesting day to say the least.

Seventy.......jeeezz the stuff of nightmares!

How many hooks did you 'loose' btw?

robtherake

Reaction score

Good fun at the trout farm, innit :thumbs:

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightliner

Seventy.......jeeezz the stuff of nightmares!

How many hooks did you 'loose' btw?
Share this post on Twitter
Share on Facebook

A perceptive reply from someone who,s been there!Four in total Mick B . best way to avoid it was to just band a big trout pellet on a size eight hook which, if struck early on the bite almost minimised the hook going out of sight so to speak.
I had gone, like everyone else to "catch" some of the course fish that the fly guys take in the season but it didnt matter what you did, method ,bait, it was all fodder for the spotties.
I,ve never had a day like it before, interesting tho but once in a while is enough.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Just back from a five hour session for roach which yielded just one fish. I had an instant thought on hooking that if this is a roach then it would pretty decent. However, the second instant thought told me it was a pesky carp (of around 3lbs)

One bite, one fish, and so home, to what looks to be a very nice lunch including roast potatoes...........who needs fishing eh?

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just got back from the Chelmer at Hoe Mill it was well up the rain stopped at about 8am. The road north of the bridge was flooded with 18 inches of water at the bottom of the hill. Graham went in the mill pool with lobs and had a nice roach and a chub. I went on the spit below the bridge fished float fished sprat and a lure rod blanked but a pleasant few hours river dropped about four inches in the time we were there it was well up with about 6 inches coming over the lock gates when we got there at 7 am lots of colour.

nicepix

Reaction score
Managed a few hours on the Vienne this afternoon. It was a last minute decision and I didn't want to take the full monty gear wise and do a long hike to a swim due to a back injury so I opted to fish in the town centre where I could park at the side of the river.

The Vienne like a lot of French rivers doesn't suffer the flood and drought cycles that I saw on local rivers back home. There are weirs every couple of kilometers where villages had their flour and steel mills and the river is also controlled by several large dams situated along its length. It was about 30cm up on normal levels and had a touch of colour. I had taken just one rod and reel; a medium quiver tip set up that would give the chub and roach a fair fight and still have reserve if the barbeaux showed up.

Started off with a heavy cage feeder loaded with a mix of breadcrumbs, ground maize and hemp & a few chicken pellets. Hook bait was red worm. I got bites from the off, but couldn't connect. The tip fair rattled but striking produced nothing and leaving it to develop resulted in the worm being nicked. I tried a two hook rig, different baits, different feeders and various rigs to no avail. Even upstream ledgering was tried. If I changed to ledger or used any other bait I didn't get any bites. All the bites came to worm with feeder and they all were the same rattles and plucks like you get from small chub. But small chub don't usually discriminate between baits like sweetcorn and pellet. So, I reckon roach were the culprits. If I'd had a bit more time I would have rigged a float ledger up. So, Blankety-Blank for me.