What should a baliff do?

benny samways

Reaction score
What should the job of a baliff entail?

Should they just check tickets? Tell you info about the fishery? Tell you whats been caught? Maybe even give you a bit of advice as to what methods are working?

I only ask because the baliffs in one of my clubs just check your tickets and make a big deal of telling you they know what has been caught but they wont tell the anglers! Its a case of 'I know whats come out but cant tell you', but you can read it in the monthly newsletter'.

Now is it just me or is this totally daft?

Speaking was what people used to do before emails and facebook.

jake182

Reaction score
They should tell you as much as they can surely, surely they should encourage people to keep coming back and help them catch fish,

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
The Bailiffs job I reckon is to enforce club rules, this may involve checking tickets, making sure the swim you are fishing is clean, that fish care is abided by the angler, that the fish welfare (just in case they start spawning) is paramount.

And being polite and courteous should also be important.

If an angler asks advise of the Bailiff, he should be as helpful as he can, it maybe that the bailiff has no knowledge of the type of fishing being asked about ?

He maybe a Match angler and the person is asking about Pike Fishing, in that case he can only give general advise.

He should never be rude or unhelpful, but at times it's necessary to be firm if someone is breaking the rules.

Bailliffing is not for the faint hearted, glad I'm to old to do it now !!

Bob

john step

Reaction score
Bob,
I like the bit about being polite. Most are.
However I had a little chuckle to myself at the antics of one bailiff some years ago when I was a member of a very large St. Albans club.

He was very brusque and would take his tackle out when fishing and march round the lake and say without further introduction "got a ticket" or some other short sharp phrase.

He was a little man with a big complex I feel. I nicknamed him Napoleon.
The second time he approached me I just asked him who he was. " I'm the bailiff" was the reply. "Where's your identity, prove it" I replied.

So off his little legs went, back round the lake to collect his card and badge.
When he came back full of venom and expecting to throw me off for not being a member, I just showed him my ticket and said " thank you".

I doubt he realised why but I did enjoy it.

sam vimes

Reaction score
A club bailiff isn't really there to help in the way that a bailiff on a commercial is likely to be. However, it's relatively unusual for them not to want to help. Most of the time you can't shut the buggers up, even if you have to take everything they say with a whole skipfull of salt.;):D

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I thought their job was to tell you that you should have been there yesterday, that it fished fantastically last week.....:)

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Mmm.... a pet hate this.... most bailiffs I know just take the cash and wobble off.... thing is if there is a list of rules on the board then to my mind they ought to be checking to see if they are being adhered to....

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The really tragic thing is that, around here, the great bailiffs are retiring or in some cases simply can't go on.. This seems to me to be leaving a void filled with younger, albeit keen people who haven't the time nor patience to fulfill the job....
I certainly wouldn't like to patrol some of my local venues and take the flak those loyal old boys used to take in their stride...
Stab vest anyone?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Yes, some bailiffs love the ' nod, nod, wink, wink ' bit and seem to revel in the ' special knowledge ' they may, or may not have....I always try to be sociable unless they come with this ' got your ticket, mate ' normally spoken in an OTT gruff voice which really sets me on edge - no, actually it put's my back up - big time !
Although overly aggressive, it doesn't stop them asking what you've caught and on what bait, to which I reply ' some very decent fish on home made special paste '..............

That said, some bailiffs are damn decent chaps who do a great job and a pleasure to know. As PC above says, many, but not all tend to be older, enjoy the job and the crack that goes with chatting to reasonable anglers.

A thankless task though, from what I've witnessed over the years................

Not always easy to get the ' right ' folk for the job as they are a special breed in my book - a balance of firmness and friendliness, I suppose.

law

Reaction score
Depends what type of baliff youre talking about.
Ones who are paid to manage the fishery, people who own a pond/lake and just walk round to collect money, of people who do it for free on behalf of their club.

The first, Id expect them to assist as much as possible. Afterr all, thats what they get paid for.
The second, well, if they arent fishermen, other than whats been caught, what further advice can they give.
The last, well, I baliffed 3 waters for 4 years. I jacked it in this season. Was too much effort for zero reward.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I expect they have to be a bit gruff and sharp to convey a I take no nonsense demeanor. Most people who have a authoritarian job are usually a bit like this.They do overdo it sometimes though but it must be a difficult job. I have heard of the odd one being thrown in the drink. By and large all the ones I have come across have been OK.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The best answer I could offer would be for all potential bailiffs to go and visit for a day with Stuart the LAA Bailiff at Britford on the Hampshire Avon.

He is absolutely first class, always willing to offer help and advice, if asked for, he keeps the fishery in tip top condition and knows every inch of the banks under his stewardship.

He will tell you all you need to know about the day ahead, and even when and where he'd expect certain species to be on the fishery.

First class in every respect!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He will tell you all you need to know about the day ahead, and even when and where he'd expect certain species to be on the fishery.

First class in every respect!

I'd much prefer to locate fish myself than have someone spoon feed all the info to me.
You might as welll let someone hook the fish for you and them pass you the rod !

I don't mind answering a few questions etc but the fishing is down to the angler.
Imo a bailiffs "main job" is to ensure the rules are obided by and to keep off unwanted "guests".

benny samways

Reaction score
Good replies so far gents.

I have generally got on with most baliffs, they is what they is.

My nose was put out of joint by the 'ticket checker' basically saying to me that a record carp had come out of the lakes. How big? says me. Not telling, you will have to wait for the newsletter, says Mr Ticket Checker.

I told him I dont have access to twatface or emails and that I can hear it via word of mouth via him as we were talking. He then says 'I have to be discreet about what info I give out...'. I says, 'a blinking newsletter is hardly being discreet now is it? Your just being daft and not telling me! He carried on saying something and I got the hump and turned my back on him, which isnt the right thing to do but I needed to shut this guy out without shutting him down if you get my drift.

I dont think I was out of order, I think he is for having a little power trip and being disrespectful to a fellow angler! I just needed to get it off my chest is all (said the actress to the vicar)

The bad one

Reaction score
Politeness and being courteous cost you nothing as a bailiff or a member. And down the years I’ve had both who weren’t. My approach as a bailiff is the former, with a bit of chit-chat..... Alright, how’s it going, etc, if they are a person I don’t know, then I ask them for their card, with a please and thanks . Most who know me just reach for their cards and produce them without me having to ask. Then we may have a chat about the river how it’s been fishing, some will pump you for info, others arn’t that bothered and/or wait until you offer it.

Those I know well, there’s usually a bit of Mickey taking goes on between us. Come on you T*** get you card out! Usually met with a similar response No F***off, you saw last year. You’re a mithering B******! None ever done in malice on either part. These members also know I have to be even -handed and be seen to be so, as I may not know the next member up or down from them, so eventually out comes their card. But wow betide any member who sees this as a weakness or a soft touch if they deliberately transgressing the rules.
If I’m pushed for time, I always apologise and say,” Sorry but I can’t stop and chat, I’ll catch you next time!”

Even had some fun yesterday with two EA bailiffs checking licences along these lines, but I do know them very well! Even got them to check the club cards of the members right down the bottom of the length. Well they’re a lot younger and fitter than I am!:D:D

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
...Even had some fun yesterday with two EA bailiffs checking licences along these lines, but I do know them very well! Even got them to check the club cards of the members right down the bottom of the length. Well they’re a lot younger and fitter than I am!:D:D

Hi Phil,
Have you noticed that (nearly) all EA Bailiffs in the NW are called Ian? They didn't use to be! How times change!:rolleyes::D:eek:mg: