Link legering

mikench

Reaction score
What does the link signify and how is this method different to using a feeder or bomb with an attached hook length?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The idea originally was to enable easy adjustment of weight (by adding or subtracting swan shot) so as to just hold bottom in the flow. Also to allow snagged tackle to free itself more easily, as the shots could slide off the link, assuming the leger itself was snagged rather than the hook.

The first link leger was simply made by folding a short length of thicker mono over the reel line, pinching on swan shot and using a smaller shot as a stop.

Later refinements included a swivel or a sliding bead to which the link was attached, and/or a rubber stop into which the swivel on a lighter hooklength (if used) could be pushed, to reduce the risk of tangles.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. It will take me a little time to visualise that but i will eventually!:)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think of this as school boy style fishing, exactly how I did it when a kid. With all the fancy gizmos available to us nowadays we sometimes overlook such things.

Simplicity, fish safe, versatile, instantly adjustable, effective and...........cheap:)

57825A97-F571-435E-B0E0-EEE1B44776CB_zpshgvqj3fa.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
why the double line to what looks like a bead and beyond? Thanks for taking the trouble to reply by the way.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think of this as school boy style fishing, exactly how I did it when a kid. With all the fancy gizmos available to us nowadays we sometimes overlook such things.

Simplicity, fish safe, versatile, instantly adjustable, effective and...........cheap:)

I often use this set up when laying on.

Keith M

Reaction score
I did originally use the link leger in its basic form as s63 showed in his pic; but nowerdays I incorporate a rubber gripper stop on my main line instead of a shot, with a small link bead on my link leger simply because I once damaged my line when pinching the stop shot onto my main line; which resulted in a lost fish.
(see diagram below).

The rubber gripper stop also allows me to change the length of the hooklength as often as I want without any damage to the line.

Keith

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
Go on Youtube and search Martin Bowler Chub fishing. He shows how he makes a link leger.
It's one of the old time most basic rigs that is still widely used today. Caught my PB Barbel using this rig.

Philip

Reaction score

Replace the loop of line with a tiny snap link swivel. The string of shot with a 1/8oz bomb, the split shot on the line with a tiny bit of silcon tube & bit of wooden cocktail stick jammed in it and thats MY rig !

Bloomin great it is too.

Chod and Whithy pool rigs ...pah !:) ;)

seth49

Reaction score
Remember seeing that rig in a magazine, some fifty years ago, think it might have been the Creel, what a magazine that was, quality articles and photos,
Anyway I started using it on the river hodder, nr were I lived then, it proved very good for bouncing a worm down the runs for trout, caught a lot that way, it worked well with a minnow as well, in fact the only time I've seen a chub jump clean out of the water, was when I hooked one on a minnow fished like this.

mikench

Reaction score
I reckon I could use a quality float adaptor but with a small weight attached as opposed to a float. This could be moved up the line as required. I could then switch to a waggler if I chose!

greenie62

Reaction score
I reckon I could use a quality float adaptor but with a small weight attached as opposed to a float. This could be moved up the line as required. I could then switch to a waggler if I chose!

Indeed you could - although I sometimes use a Drennan Clip Bead instead - to switch between a float, link, ledger, or even controller depending on where the fish are moving in a local commercial puddle.

However, on a stony/rocky river, I find it works better - less snagging in stones, etc. - if you keep it simple with as little tackle on the line as possible. For that reason there is much to be said for the original mono link system - just tying a simple bend/loop knot in the end of the mono - making the 'eye' as small as possible by tightening-up around a baiting pin - snipping off the excess to leave 2-3" for the shot. This way there is far less chance of snag-ups - and it's less expensive tackle-wise!

mikench

Reaction score
As astounding as it may seem I had never seen those before!:) I have used a bead as a buffer behind a link swivel but those are neat! I have ordered some. Thanks Greenie!;)

Those fish in whichever river draws the short straw will never know what has hit them when I turn up with new thigh waders, a new rod, a pin, my roving rucksack, maggot bag and all the bits!!! God help me!

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
As astounding as it may seem I had never seen those before!:) I have used a bead as a buffer behind a link swivel but those are neat! I have ordered some. Thanks Greenie!;)
Don't forget to use my name when ordering - so that I get my commission (That was a tip from Robtherake - he is in for a Queens Award to the tackle industry after you followed-up on all his recommendations)! :D

Those fish in whichever river draws the short straw will never know what has hit them when I turn up with new thigh waders, a new rod, a pin, my roving rucksack, maggot bag and all the bits!!! .....

Wot!? - no wading staff!?

There are several makers of these essential bits of H&S/PPE in the North-West - support local industry! :eek:

Tight Lines!

steve2

Reaction score
First used this basic style of link ledger 50 years ago still use it today. Just so easy to adjust the weights needed when travel light on small streams.

mikench

Reaction score
Don't forget to use my name when ordering - so that I get my commission (That was a tip from Robtherake - he is in for a Queens Award to the tackle industry after you followed-up on all his recommendations)! :D

Wot!? - no wading staff!?

There are several makers of these essential bits of H&S/PPE in the North-West - support local industry! :eek:

Tight Lines!

I knew that Rob would have had something to do with that:rolleyes: The tackle industry certainly should be grateful to him!

Wading staffs ooh never thought of those! Will they double as a stick as I slip into decrepitude?

peterjg

Reaction score
Can I suggest that you try this experiment:

Tie a 6 inch link to a swivel of your choice with say a 1oz lead or feeder on the end of it, slide the link backwards and forwards on your reel line

Then compare the resistance with

Tie a 6 inch link to a small bead (I get mine from the Hobby Shop) with the 1oz lead or feeder, slide it backwards and forwards on your reel line

You will find that the link with the bead slides with less resistance. If you shorten the link to 1 inch you will also feel a lot less juddering as the link slides backwards and forwards. I am convinced that this is better having tested it many, many times in both still and running waters.

I also have the bead sliding on a short loop instead of tied to the link. On the other end of the looped link I have a small Preston clip so that I can easily swap leads or feeders. Also better bites are received and registered on the quiver tip when using a slightly heavier feeder, this is because the feeder or lead does not move too easily thus showing the bite better (downstream cast not upstream).

We all have our own preferences but it might be worth trying.

Last edited: