Going to try the fly

gritty

Reaction score
Having been coarse fishing since I was a kid until a few years ago I have been muttering about taking up fly fishing as a new challenge. I particularly want to try to combine it with my love of walking and wild camping in the lakes.

Camp next to a high tarn and have a fish for a few hours...... /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Any for my birthday I have been given £100 to pay for lesson(s). My first reaction was Esthwaite water, £90 per day for tackle, tuition etc. However I was thinking it might be better to get some casting tuition first??? I will also be looking for a rod which will fit in a rucksac.

Any advice gratefully received, I am near Stockport and can get to Macc forrest, Ladybower or the dane valley fairly easily.

Assuming I get the bug, what are the clubs like in the area?

Martin

S

Shrek

Sounds like a great start to fly fishing!!!!

If I were you, I would get some casting tuition first as it's the "bedrock" of fly fishing, IMHO. If you can cast properly, then you don't have to think about it and can concentrate on your fishing. Picking an instructor can be hard, however this site might help you:

www.gameanglinginstructors.co.uk

You'll be able to find some qualified instructors close to where you live.

As for the rod, there are some very good 5 and 6 piece rods that would be ideal for what you want. Shakespeare do a range called the Expedition, while Greys do the Missionary series. There are probably others too that I'm sure your LTS will be able to help with.

Ask as many questions as you can though, as it's the only way!!!!

gritty

Reaction score
Thanks; it feels like starting at the bottom of a whole new learning curve..... but perhaps that's just what I need to fire the enthusiasm again /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I thought if i got a bit of casting help I could practice it and benefit fro a day on a water with an instructor.... How hard can it be????? /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

S

Stephen Bracegirdle

Hiya Gritty,

Like yourself I got this urge some 15yrs ago and although I have not turned into a proper fly fisher I do go out a few times a year. At the timethere was an evening class at Offerton for flytying and casting, cost was something like £40.00 for six week course. Ireally enjoyed it and can now moderately cast a line, unfortunately I don't think it is run now.

I believe Stockport fly fishing, (shop in Heaton Moor) run flytying classes in the winter months(evenings) and tuition days on both stillwaters and rivers. Steve, who is at the shop is a great help with both flytying and casting, you could call in and he will give you all the info you need of that i'm sure.

Hope this helps

Steve

ps since I took it up I actually get more enjoyment out of tying flys rather than fishing!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Let your first trips be on small reasonably heavily stocked waters rather than large reservoirsor lochs. It will be easier to locate the fish and that is the major part of catching them.

For example I fished my local reservoir yesterday and in 2 hours I got 2 fish. But I only got those two fish when a group of them came through my section of water. And I had to present the flies accurately and at the right depth too.

As Adrian says, the casting is the first hurdle you have to overcome. You need to get a good instructor to take you through the basics. In many ways it's like learning to drive a car, you need a professional teacher.

This is perhaps why so many are put off from learning to fly fish. It's the only style of angling where you need toacquire a very specific skill that needs to be learned over a period of time -just like golf.A friend of mine in South Africa who is a professional fly fishing instructor told me the only man who was ever able to pick up a fly rod and cast 30 yards with it, never having seen one before was his local vicar, but then he may have had some divine help along the way./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

But thebest tip I can give to anyone starting out at fly casting is to understand that you areNOT casting the fly. You are casting the line and the fly goes along for the ride.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I live near Stockport myself, although I'm in Asia for the next 5 and a bit months.

I started around 5 years ago with a day on Marton trout Pools, towards Congleton, arranged by Stockport Fly Fishing at Heaton Moor. I think it cost £50 for the day and covered safety, basic casting techniques, and 1 fish, from the afternoon's fishing.

To be truthful, you won't be anything like an expert caster after this day, but you will be on the right path.

As for tackle; my advice would be to buy budget gear initially. Most of it is serviceable. You might not catch the bug, not everyone does, and if this is the case, there is little wasted. I got on fine with a thirty quid 5/6 rod/ reel from Decathlon, and a Shakespeare line. I only upgraded 2 years ago to a top quality Greys road, and medium range Shimono reel. This new gear is more pleasurable to use, it doesn't catch me any more fish.

I'll save the last bit of advice until last: don't ignore the local rivers, within 10 miles! They are all either free, or on a cheap season ticket.