£6 too much for a one day licence

If you purchase one day licences, will you be buying one after April 1st for £6?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

eric

Reaction score
Anyone else think that's a bit steep?

Some years I only have chance to go a couple of time so prefer to buy one day licences, but I'm not going to pay £6 on top of the day tickets.

I missed the "consultation" but I cannot see how they can justify a 60% increase. Guess it's just to force you to buy a full year, which is not good value either if you only go a few times.

Come on Angling Trust, stop trying to be clever and just think about all anglers please!

thecrow

Reaction score
Its the EA that has increased prices but the wangling trust was involved with the increase, imo £6 for a year is to much to give them.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Seems like you have 4 choices - cough up the £6 when you want to go on a daily basis; or buy a year's licence; or go illegally and take your chances; or don't go at all.

If it was me, I'd buy the annual licence and go fishing more often - after all this site's called fishingmagic (not fishingsometimes or fishingnowandthen). So my advice? go fishing more often, it's magic!!

Is £6 too much? I can't really answer that as I've had an annual licence since I was 12, and never felt the need to question it in 35 years of fishing. But if you were to do a comparison with a day at a football match or on a golf course, then £6 EA licence + £10 day ticket + £9 quid (say) for bait still only adds up to £25 and I'd happily pay that for a quality day's fishing - and it compares to both of those other activities I mentioned.

However, if that doesn't add up for you in terms of value for money - do something else?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am with you on this, mainly sea fishing this year, the side benefit is saving £30. However, might have wanted to go the odd day coarse fishing so £6 is a bit steep. If a year is £30 then that's about 8p a day, not that I would expect that but in relation £6 for a day is a bit steep. I think it was £3 last year. So,they lost my £30 and maybe lost the odd £3 as well and anyone wanting to just try a days fishing for the first time to see if they like it, could put some of them off. Considering all the above and on balance I think its a bit much.
But then it was £27 and they made a big hulabaloo about it not raising it some years and I always thought they would make up for it one day and then its become £30 in one swoop, so I was right, and a week was £8 I think and now its £12, and a day £3 more, 50% increases. These smaller licenses are quite big hikes proportionally so their intent is clear; we will shaft someone. Its all pennies to some but not everyone, not much consideration to the poor, whats new in the world. Anyway there you go- the time honored sod em, they all just get on my nerves.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes I agree its too much.
Should be half that at the most, its not encouraging anyone to try the sport.
You cant compare it too a round of golf or a day at a football match.
Its a licence fee not a day ticket.

thames mudlarker

Reaction score
Seems like you have 4 choices - cough up the £6 when you want to go on a daily basis; or buy a year's licence; or go illegally and take your chances; or don't go at all.

If it was me, I'd buy the annual licence and go fishing more often - after all this site's called fishingmagic (not fishingsometimes or fishingnowandthen). So my advice? go fishing more often, it's magic!!

Is £6 too much? I can't really answer that as I've had an annual licence since I was 12, and never felt the need to question it in 35 years of fishing. But if you were to do a comparison with a day at a football match or on a golf course, then £6 EA licence + £10 day ticket + £9 quid (say) for bait still only adds up to £25 and I'd happily pay that for a quality day's fishing - and it compares to both of those other activities I mentioned.

However, if that doesn't add up for you in terms of value for money - do something else?

Absolutely spot on Jim, well said :thumbs:

chrissh

Reaction score
£6 is over the top for a day’s licence. I don’t mind the £30 as I get out 2-3 times a week

Go with a friend … when they advertise the take a friend fishing and give you a day’s licence free

greenie62

Reaction score
At least you get the 1-day/week licence fees discounted if you subsequently upgrade to a full-year licence! As I understand it that was a concession added to encourage potential anglers to 'give it a try'.;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In all honesty I cannot see the point of going fishing a couple of times a year, but then I don't know your personal circumstance.
Let's face it, you only have to go five times to cover the cost of a full licence, and if you eventually manage to go more than five times you have your licence ready to go!

As far as the £6 fee is concerned; I find it hard to see why a 'day' licence is needed in the first place as a monthly would seem more useful IMHO, but others will say not...

I suppose you have the choice, and if deemed too expensive you'll probably end up doing something else...................

peterjg

Reaction score
The EA do not have a clue!!! They should be doing everything they can to encourage people to go fishing, people that buy a one day rod licence are obviously not regular anglers so therefore increasing the price to £6 will only put them off going. I repeat - the EA do not have a clue!!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
At least you get the 1-day/week licence fees discounted if you subsequently upgrade to a full-year licence! As I understand it that was a concession added to encourage potential anglers to 'give it a try'.;)

I did not know that Greenie so that's a bit more sensible and the fact it will be a 12 month roll over is a good point for me also. Could I buy 4 one day licenses for a couple of months and then get a year one for £6? In effect get a 14 month license for £30. No, they wouldn't miss that, it will be back dated to the first day license, still I will have to check it out, always looking for an angle!

Apres-Just had a look at the Gov buy a license page and no mention of it unless I missed it, also no monthly license, its 1,8 day or a year. Also says no license needed in Scotland, might go there, rumours of a big Sturgeon waiting to be caught, and this one does not belong to Her Maj !

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
It sounds steep to me.

I am not sure what other options are available but I don’t think this will encourage people to try angling, if they need to pay £6 for the license + probably £10+ for a day ticket …they are already looking at £16 just to try something they may not even like & that’s before bait, tackle, travel and so on. Also how about people coming over for a few days a year to the UK who want to fish ?

I think this is going to dissuade those people who are occasional anglers who could become more regulars to the sport & its more likly to act as an incentive for people who are going fishing for 1 day to take the risk and pay nothing. I recon overall the EA will lose money, not make it like this.

£6 for a week sounds about right to me, not a day.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Even before the increase I would always buy my wife the annual licence, she may fish only 3 or four times (when the sun shines and she has a chance of catching carp:rolleyes:) but at least the option is always there if the mood takes her and it gives me the chance of a few extra sessions:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It sounds steep to me.

I am not sure what other options are available but I don’t think this will encourage people to try angling, if they need to pay £6 for the license + probably £10+ for a day ticket …they are already looking at £16 just to try something they may not even like & that’s before bait, tackle, travel and so on. Also how about people coming over for a few days a year to the UK who want to fish ?

I think this is going to dissuade those people who are occasional anglers who could become more regulars to the sport & its more likly to act as an incentive for people who are going fishing for 1 day to take the risk and pay nothing. I recon overall the EA will lose money, not make it like this.

£6 for a week sounds about right to me, not a day.

I think you can make these things look good or bad value, an old age pensioner on £20 a day, or an unemployed teenager on £10 a day unemployment benefit and it looks like a bit of a bind to me. And those teenagers could be tomorrows big angling spenders, so its not a very good deal really. I know non of it is a big deal and you might as well go for a year licence but, thats probably what they are thinking.
I have made an inquiry as to if you get a £6 deduction from a later year one to Gov.shaftthepeole.com Which might alert them to my ruse if they are not asleep after a bit of roast partridge and a dozen cognacs.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

That's why you're an Angler! :rolleyes::D

nice to see you had your coffee this morning Greenie :)

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I have made an inquiry as to if you get a £6 deduction from a later year one to Gov.shaftthepeole.com

Thats a very good idea Mark...if they credit the money towards a yearly one later on ...at least for one single day license, so 6 quid back if you show a one day license from the same year.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thats a very good idea Mark...if they credit the money towards a yearly one later on ...at least for one single day license, so 6 quid back if you show a one day license from the same year.

I also asked if it is the case, would it apply to more than one-"one day licenses", emmm a bit dodgy for me to ask but at least we will know. No harm in finding out.

rayner

Reaction score
If enough people fished just one day a year and paid the £6 then perhaps there should be a small decrease in the yearly tariff for anglers.
One day a year shouldn't afford you the right to fish for less, get with the programme and buy a licence and just fish with the rest of us and stop playing at it.
Why would anyone buy tackle to use one day a year, if you're not going to use it take it to a car boot.

iain t

Reaction score
Personally, i think the one day licence is a waste of time and money. Over 50% of people who buy a weeks licence are holiday makers trying it out for the first time with a ready to go kit. After that, they may decide if they enjoy it or not. So the price of a week licence on a free stretch is a cheap way to keep the family amused. One licence for the adult and the kids go free makes a budget holiday. Then again some only fish when they go on holiday.