Another new canoe access attempt

iain t

Reaction score
I think water ways should be accessible to all. The concerns are how it will affect the public and clubs that fish the area. How will affect the clubs income. Will fishing become free?. Will the Welsh Assembly charge for fishing, if they do they must also be a charge for other water users such as water craft vessels?
Who with be in charge of maintaining the bank etc

thecrow

Reaction score
The concerns are how it will affect the public and clubs that fish the area

No effect on the public whatsoever but the difference it will make to angling will be massive, will fishing become free? the answer to that is no it will not, clubs will abandon stretches where there is no PRN and paddling takes place meaning the fishing will be gone as landowners that previously made money from renting to clubs will just stop it altogether no day tickets nothing.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Will the Welsh Assembly charge for fishing, if they do they must also be a charge for other water users such as water craft vessels? Who with be in charge of maintaining the bank etc

I am not certain that the Welsh Assembly have the powers to vary taxation, in fact, the devolved Welsh Assembly was set up to not have any tax varying powers . . . . and can only alter Westminster primary legislation by using its own powers of secondary legislation . . . .

That said, it is not an area of my expertise but if I were directly affected then I think it would be very worthwhile investigating in detail . . . . .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Precisely the problem on the Kentish Stour at Grove Ferry where a canoe school has taken over the water.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Precisely the problem on the Kentish Stour at Grove Ferry where a canoe school has taken over the water.

I haven't fished there since 1964! But as I remember, it was tidal. Therefor they have every right to paddle according to the PRN laws.

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

I would support this Geoff but as i don't live in an area with a Welsh Assembly member to write to i am at a loss as to how to do it.

Try these people then: Open Access - Countryside Alliance

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Or am I thinking of Plucks Gutter?