Keep Net Tips and Advice

pratty117

Reaction score
Hi People
I'm off to a local pond next week with my godson for a spot of bagging up (hopefully!). I've managed to acquire a keep net second hand but having not used one before I'm after a spot of advice! We'll hopefully be catching small roach, rudd, tench and crucians. The bottom ring isn't weighted so am concerned that the net won't sit right in the water? I see match anglers position such nets vertically straight down in front of them, yet others have them strung along the margin?
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Adam

jasonbean1

Reaction score
As long as it's fully submerged to its full length without collapsing you'll be fine.

Don't keep them in there for any longer than around 6 hrs in the summer and try to release them without rolling them down the net unless your doing it in the water.

Is the net a modern no knot micrmesh.... fishery approved type?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Just ensure that you:

1. Place the keepnet in as deep a water as is possible

2. Stake out the net to avoid rings collapsing

3. Try to site not in direct sunlight if the water is relatively shallow

4. Check the contents regularly so as to ensure that the fish are not suffering stress, and if so release them immediately

5. Don't retain the fish for too long, but a few hours over the course of the session should be fine.

Hope this helps.

PS: all assuming that keepnet use is allowed at your chosen venue

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The best advice that I can think of is don't use it, what's the point unless your fishing in a match and have to weigh in at the end?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
PPS: Even though you are fishing a pond then please. never, ever under any circumstances put a Barbel into a keepnet . . . .

Personally I see nothing wrong in using a keepnet as long as it is properly sited etc., and it will be nice at the end of the session for your Godson to see the catch from the day . . . .

Enjoy . . . .

jasonbean1

Reaction score
modern nets used properly are fine...its the way pictures are taken, weighing process and the way they are released is where all the damage occurs.

I fish matches every week and guys that have been fishing 50 years (and say they know it all) still haven't got a clue how to do it properly.:mad:

more often than not i'll take over the weighing process because I don't like how bad people treat the fish.:)

iain t

Reaction score
I feel there is no need or place for a keep net in pleasure fishing. Keep nets is one of my major dislikes in angling. Catch, picture, release. That's all you need. Why stack up fish upon one another in a cramped net. You wouldn't like it done to yourself so why fish. I think it's the easiest way to transfer diseases. Moan over

terry m

Reaction score
Even if there is an argument that high quality keepnets, properly used may avoid damaging the fish badly, why take the risk?

I honestly do not understand the want to look at a pile of silvers at the end of the day, especially as you/your godson has placed these in the net throughout the day.

Someone will come on and talk about returned fish spooking swims blah blah blah, but honestly I don't buy that either.

Aside from match fishing, where there is little alternative, for me there is no use for a keepnet.

Just my opinion.

iain t

Reaction score
I suppose that you enjoy having a hook stuck in you. Be careful what you write it may come back to haunt you.

I find pleasure in hooking myself. It's a pain and pleasure thing. I know what you're getting at but i just don't like the use of keep nets for pleasure fishing. In 50 years of fishing I've never used one but if i was a match angle then i suppose it would be different as i would have to use a keep net.
Matches yes, pleasure no

pratty117

Reaction score
Crikey I've opened up a bit of a can of worms here! The net is micro mesh and the lake does accept the use of them. Thank you for the advice and tips. I've also taken on board the 'for' and 'against' points. Maybe as the youngster is new to angling it might be an opportunity to not advocate the use of a keepnet?