Reel grease

trotter2

Reaction score
No can't say I have seen it before.
What's good about it ?

rayner

Reaction score
Never heard of reel grease, never felt the need to grease a reel either.
In fact years ago the Mitchel match reels (that I still have) all the grease was washed out with WD40 so the handle could be batted round for quick retrieve when stick fishing.
Another memory that was long forgotten, thanks for the reminder. They are all adding up.
OK I'm only remembering angling related stuff but all memories are welcome.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My Bewick arrived this morning and I was wondering if the "pin" needed any sort of lubricant on it, what and where do you use it.

Clean the whole reel thoroughly first. Make sure the pin itself, and the female part of the spool, are as clean as possible. A cotton bud into the female bit isn't a bad idea, just be careful not to leave any bits of the head behind. Retracting the sprung spool retainer while you use the cotton bud is a good plan.

A couple of drops of a really light oil on the pin itself should be adequate. If the oil runs down the pin and reaches the backplate, you've used too much. I tend to use Singer sewing machine oil.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Crow,
be wary of how the float screw is set. It wouldn't be the first, or last, second hand pin to be bought with the float set very badly. Plenty of new pins are bought with the float set less than perfectly. If it is set badly, the reel will run like a dog, regardless of how clean or well lubricated it is. Once set well, you should be able to pretty much forget about it.

iain t

Reaction score
Only ever used grease on my multiplier reels. For a light oil, i have been using sewing machine oil for over 40 years. Would never lube my reels with WD40. If i want to clean my FS and pin reels i use lighter petrol and a cotton bud.

thecrow

Reaction score
Crow,
be wary of how the float screw is set. It wouldn't be the first, or last, second hand pin to be bought with the float set very badly. Plenty of new pins are bought with the float set less than perfectly. If it is set badly, the reel will run like a dog, regardless of how clean or well lubricated it is. Once set well, you should be able to pretty much forget about it.

Haven't messed with it as the reel span quite freely when I got it, now I have cleaned and oiled it the reel is even better with the spool spinning freely with no noises at all so I don't see me adjusting it in the future.

barbelboi

Reaction score
My Bewick arrived this morning and I was wondering if the "pin" needed any sort of lubricant on it, what and where do you use it Jerry.

Only just seen this Graham as just got back from fishing - I don't think I can add more to the answer Chris gave.