Split shot

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
After reading the thread on lost gear I realised i'm in need of some split shot. I use anchor double cut but the price of it is insane!
Before I ebay some lead ones from Ireland does anyone know of a outlet for the anchor double cut shot at a reasnable price?

chrissh

Reaction score
I went into angling direct last week and bought a pint of maggots and new 8 way anchor shot.

I stood at the counter to pay with a £10 note in my hand thinking that was more than a nought and I would get some change ….

It come to £11.30 (£8.40 for the shot & £2.90 for a pint of maggots)

The small refill tubs are £1.95 each.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good luck with that, Ian. I needed to restock with shot a while back and nearly fell over when I saw the price.

Whoever is making them is making a serious profit!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I went into angling direct last week and bought a pint of maggots and new 8 way anchor shot.

I stood at the counter to pay with a £10 note in my hand thinking that was more than a nought and I would get some change ….

It come to £11.30 (£8.40 for the shot & £2.90 for a pint of maggots)

The small refill tubs are £1.95 each.

Sounds like they stung you on the maggots also.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have used my larger shot so many times they struggle to grip the line, smaller stuff I have to hold in my small forceps I drop loads while trying to move it round until the split is facing up so that I can drop the line into it.

I have toyed with getting something else instead of shot but that is even more expensive to loose.

john step

Reaction score
Interesting someone else re uses shot time and time again. Tightwads of the world unite.

I use ZLT which are softer to start with. For bulk shot waggler style I use float stop either side of the shot when they start to slip. That or a no. 10 stotz either side which are also moveable.

I also re use the float stops by leaving them on a length of the line when packing up and pulling them onto a loop for storage.

I use the stotz option when they slip on bulk down the line.

PS. About waste of weights...I cannot get my head around the idea of loosing the weight on a take as some carpers do. Are they made of money?

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I am not embarrassed to say that I reuse shot too....no 4 and bigger normally, no 6 if I can get them off which I often can't. It really is a silly price now and you only get about 5-6 AAA in a tub. Hooks are cheap by comparison.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
With shot so expensive I try to do what i can to reuse it. I float fish much of the time so when I tackle up I add the shot over the tackle box so any dropped falls into the box, and once in a while I recover it. At the end of a session I cut the line above the last shot and remove them for reuse, once home.
Sounds like a fuff and it is, but with failing eyesight I can drop half a dozen No8 shot before I manage to fix one.....

I hate waste at the best of times just as I hate paying exorbitant prices, so saving as much as I can makes me feel a little better.................

Sad part is, that even buying a number of boxes at one time makes little difference and that is a disgrace..

If the OP, by raising the subject, brings cheaper shot prices to the surface, then he has helped many of us!

ps Don't get me started on maggot prices...........................

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting someone else re uses shot time and time again. Tightwads of the world unite.

I use ZLT which are softer to start with. For bulk shot waggler style I use float stop either side of the shot when they start to slip. That or a no. 10 stotz either side which are also moveable.

I also re use the float stops by leaving them on a length of the line when packing up and pulling them onto a loop for storage.

I use the stotz option when they slip on bulk down the line.

PS. About waste of weights...I cannot get my head around the idea of loosing the weight on a take as some carpers do. Are they made of money?

I'd love to know how you do that with the rubber stops, I just can't fathom out how you do it?
I really hate having to throw them away after a single use as there's nothing wrong with em, and they're expensive for a bit of nowt!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
PS. About waste of weights...I cannot get my head around the idea of losing the weight on a take as some carpers do. Are they made of money?

One of the Carp tackle worlds more inventive ways of making anglers part with more money. I am waiting for the first one to come up with a rod you loose on the take...
:)

john step

Reaction score
I'd love to know how you do that withthe rubber stops, I just can't fathom out jow you ddo it?
I really hate having to throw them away after a single use as there's nothing wrong with em, and they're expensive for a bit of nowt!

Simples.

When packing up slide the rubber stops down to the bottom and cut the line leaving about a foot of line with the stops on.
Just tie a single loop in the end and pull the stops onto that to use again the next time.

More often than not I also include the silicone float adaptor on the same loop so when tackling up next time the whole lot gets slid onto the line together.

Clear as mud???

john step

Reaction score
One of the Carp tackle worlds more inventive ways of making anglers part with more money. I am waiting for the first one to come up with a rod you loose on the take...
:)

Philip, they don't need to invent a way to lose a rod on the take. I have done it a couple of times with no help from anyone whatsoever:eek:mg: Luckily I retrieved them.

Philip

Reaction score
...forgot to engage the bait runner or loosen the clutch John ? ...dont worry we have all been there :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Simples.

When packing up slide the rubber stops down to the bottom and cut the line leaving about a foot of line with the stops on.
Just tie a single loop in the end and pull the stops onto that to use again the next time.

More often than not I also include the silicone float adaptor on the same loop so when tackling up next time the whole lot gets slid onto the line together.

Clear as mud???

Thank's for that John!
Even I can do that....I think lol.

mikench

Reaction score
I just cannot fix small shot to the line and it i have to put say 6 on it will take me an hour and i will lose 5 for every one i manage! After 3 casts or bites i need to replace 3!

I know i haven't a prayer in putting 12 styls or stotz or their shot equivalent on the puller float i bought so it is consigned to my tackle draws.

If anyone who likes roach fishing wants it you are welcome to it !

JJW

Reaction score
I've always re-used the larger sizes of shot. Any that I can get off the line in a re-useable state always went back in the pot. Makes no sense to to do otherwise.

I've got some massive shot that I use for my piking rigs (I've had them years, I think they might be lead) - I'm treating them like diamonds!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There is a gadget on the market ,I think it is called a Levapiombo or something, It will remove shot, open the gp on shot to slide the shot up and down the line and crimp shot on the line, I have had one for years, It rarely gets used do to 90% of my time I fish the pole and most of he rigs I use are shotted using stotz, But if I do use a waggler set up ,I will remove the shot using it if required, Also to make the locking shot around the float easier to remove slide apiece of silicon float rubber on the line, and grip the shot onto that,

Last edited:

Molehill

Reaction score
I am not embarrassed to say that I reuse shot too....no 4 and bigger normally, no 6 if I can get them off which I often can't. It really is a silly price now and you only get about 5-6 AAA in a tub. Hooks are cheap by comparison.

Exactly as I do, usually get any bigger ones off but have to chuck the 8s. They are all a ridiculous price and of course not a patch on soft lead, but that will never change unless somebody developes a better substitute.
My last pint of maggots cost £3.20, I thought anything under £3 a good price.