Homemade Throwing Stick

peterjg

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I made a homemade throwing stick from a section of old fibreglass landing net. This is most certainly not a new idea (they have been around for donkeys years) but it is the first time I have used one for small baits. I now much prefer it to a catapult and have used it with hemp, tares, dead maggots, pellets and sweetcorn.

It is simple to make, 22 inches long, a slight angle at the top with a cork jammed about 11/2 inches from the top. I have found it quick to use and more accurate than a catapult. Though a catapult will fire baits farther.

About 30 years ago, before the curved Cobra throwing stick came out I used a section of glass fibre pole for boilies.

Reaction score
Many anglers used to use them for hemp,maggots and casters,often on canals and small rivers,using a piece of plastic tube with a bung glued an inch of so from the top.

flightliner

Reaction score
I made several back in my carp fishing days.
All from a length of plastic tubing from Wickes.
A cut at the top end like the commercially made ones and a bend made by holding it over a gas ring , an end stop and that completed it!
I used it on several Notts pits and lakes and it was every bit as good as the bought ones.
Why folk pay the asking prices I see in the shops beats me, I reckoned at the time I made mine they worked out at something like 20 pence each.

rayner

Reaction score
I wouldn't be without my one, had it years. Catapulting for me is almost impossible, a mate made me a leg extension for my box to hold a catapult, it works fine but the accuracy is sketchy at best.
At least with the throwing stick I can get loose feed where I want it.
I tried an Ezee feeder but it got on my pip with the noise it made.

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to have one or two that I had made from old fibreglass match rod handle sections with part of the cork handles at their base to hold on to.

They were fine up to around 15 metres and were easy to use one handed but any further than that and I would have to use my catapult or my Cobra baiting stick.

Keith

Last edited: