Spinning Rod for 9 year old

FrankLundy

Reaction score
Hello all

I’ve got a 9 year old who wants to start fishing with me and I thought spinning / small lure fishing might be the best starting point.

Any ideas on which rod I should looking at? I don’t want anything too big and heavy and I don’t think we’ll be targeting any massive pike, just perch and small jacks.

Any help would be appreciated.

john step

Reaction score
That looks just the ticket. When I was 9 a 7 foot fibre glass spinning rod was all the rage for all sorts of fishing for us kids.
We made them do everything from spinning to bait fishing for gudgeon on the park lake to abuse on the pier at Southend on Sea.

steve2

Reaction score
That looks just the ticket. When I was 9 a 7 foot fibre glass spinning rod was all the rage for all sorts of fishing for us kids.
We made them do everything from spinning to bait fishing for gudgeon on the park lake to abuse on the pier at Southend on Sea.

Hi John, have you been following me around in the past. My first real rod was a 7ft solid glass rod built for me by my brother from parts bought from EDKO Sports in Romford.
Like you used it for everything most probably fishing the same lake at Raphael Park till I change up to 10ft 3-piece cane rod with a fibreglass top.

spoonminnow

Reaction score
How tall is he? Usually for kids that age I would start with either a light action spinning or spincast rod 5'6"- 6', which you can add a spinning or spincast reel. Push button reels are easy to cast and if the drag is set right, can bring in fish of all sizes and species. This 3 1/2 lb sucker hit a light jig tied to braid attached to a Daiwa spincast reel:
tWQZgQc.jpg

Lure weight is usually restricted to lures weighing only 1/32 - 1/8 oz + lure weight. Float fishing is also a pleasure when fish drag the float underwater and fight to keep your lure (at least until it discovers someone's at the other end).

Last edited: