what have you pulled out of a river or pond (not fish)

bonjqvi

Reaction score
many years ago I was balliff of cauldwell dam pond ,we had a snag in top corner next to the road so one weekend about 6 of us got rope and grappling hooks to clean out the snags when it was owned by baggleys builders ,we found the offending article to be a mattress that someone had lobbed in of the road , pleased at the find we thought well we haven't got dressed up for nothing so we carried on grappling ,after about 2hrs we hit this thing and we thought it was the plug to let the water out it was super heavy we all got on it and pulled it was a big safe still locked and not next to the bank either dont ask how it got there , so thoughts went to money and riches and divvying it up when awhile later on of the guys pulled out a sawnoff shotgun , that was it police and when it was opened no cash .

steve2

Reaction score
We did have they body of a missing suicide victim. He had been in the water buried in the weed for sometime. Not a very pleasant sight to say the least.

seth49

Reaction score
While I was still at school, many moons ago, me and a lad I knew were tickling trout in a large brook, out on the fells, used to be some good ones too.

Anyway I was led on the bank with my arm under the bank feeling for trout, and I got hold of this round thing, pulls it out and it’s a two inch mortar bomb, nearly soiled myself, says to Ian the lad I was with, look at this, I’ve found a bomb.

Wow he says let’s throw it of the old quarry and see if it goes off. So away to the quarry, stand back from the edge and throw it over, nothing happened, so we retrieve it and take it back to his dads farm, his dad told us that the army used to train up their, and it was probably one of there’s.

So I left it with him, and cycled home.
Trouble is next day he brings it to school, and the headmaster catches him throwing it at the school wall, he nearly had a heart attack, next thing schools evacuated to a field at the other side of the school, and the bomb disposal squad, are on there way.

Turns out it was a used smoke bomb, and was safe, could have been a lot worse if it had been a real one.

bonjqvi

Reaction score
While I was still at school, many moons ago, me and a lad I knew were tickling trout in a large brook, out on the fells, used to be some good ones too.

Anyway I was led on the bank with my arm under the bank feeling for trout, and I got hold of this round thing, pulls it out and it’s a two inch mortar bomb, nearly soiled myself, says to Ian the lad I was with, look at this, I’ve found a bomb.

Wow he says let’s throw it of the old quarry and see if it goes off. So away to the quarry, stand back from the edge and throw it over, nothing happened, so we retrieve it and take it back to his dads farm, his dad told us that the army used to train up their, and it was probably one of there’s.

So I left it with him, and cycled home.
Trouble is next day he brings it to school, and the headmaster catches him throwing it at the school wall, he nearly had a heart attack, next thing schools evacuated to a field at the other side of the school, and the bomb disposal squad, are on there way.

Turns out it was a used smoke bomb, and was safe, could have been a lot worse if it had been a real one.
wow great story

peterjg

Reaction score
Two briefcases floated by when I was fishing the canal at Harefield, I pulled them out and they were full of business office work.

I once found a safe in a gravel pit at Harefield.

Once I was walking along the towpath where there was a match and one of the anglers pulled in a hobnail boot, one angler shouted "you can't weigh that in!" and another shouted "catch the other one and you'll have a pair!".

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Many moons ago I did the Devizes to Westminster canoe race which takes place over the three days of the Easter weekend.

Padding through the Savernake tunnel the canoe just ahead of us came to a sudden and complete stop. Yelling to ‘call the police’ the canoe had hit a suicide victim.

The pair in the canoe retired immediately and never to to see the finish line being the steps to what was then London City Hall at Westminster.

flightliner

Reaction score
I fished worsboro dam near Barnsley as a fourteen year old. One area was the go to place for pike , seemingly no differant to the others on that bank .
One cold Saturday a piker became snagged and after pulling hard up popped two feet.
The police and fire brigade arrived with grappling hooks and a coffin and retrieved the body of a woman who had committed suicide by wading in with a bag of stones around her neck tied with a nylon stocking.

bonjqvi

Reaction score
Many moons ago I did the Devizes to Westminster canoe race which takes place over the three days of the Easter weekend.

Padding through the Savernake tunnel the canoe just ahead of us came to a sudden and complete stop. Yelling to ‘call the police’ the canoe had hit a suicide victim.

The pair in the canoe retired immediately and never to to see the finish line being the steps to what was then London City Hall at Westminster.

omg thats 2 now I hope never to see such things I would be so sad

bonjqvi

Reaction score
I fished worsboro dam near Barnsley as a fourteen year old. One area was the go to place for pike , seemingly no differant to the others on that bank .
One cold Saturday a piker became snagged and after pulling hard up popped two feet.
The police and fire brigade arrived with grappling hooks and a coffin and retrieved the body of a woman who had committed suicide by wading in with a bag of stones around her neck tied with a nylon stocking.

omg 3 now who new there was so many bodies laying undiscovered (if you pull my exwife out drinks on me )

lambert1

Reaction score
My mate caught a signet ring once. Usual jokes about Lord of the Rings etc. Three bodies that is really depressing!

daniel121

Reaction score
I know of a body that was found on the embankment in Nottingham, around 88 time, I was a few pegs up with the Mrs and kid. The banks emptied pretty quickly.

Mine was a reel, I must a
Have been on the bottom of the lake for years it was inoperable and pretty cheap anyway. I think that's the most strangest thing I've caught

ian g

Reaction score
Fishing the weaver in Nantwich when I was a teenager I hooked something heavy while ledgering . As I wound in a rain coat appeared on the surface , I thought it was a body but luckily the cat was empty.