River Wandle

R

Richard Baker

Dear all,

recently I decided to try fishing the river Wandle in Wandsworth/putney London with the fly, mainly for the coase fish there. I have caught plenty of the expected Chub and dace on Nymphs and drys but also a few surprise wild brown trout. Has anyone else ever fished the river (coarse or trout) on the fly?? If you have I'd be inerested to know hoe you got on.

Cheers Rich

G

Gerry Castles

Hello Richard,

Richard, I was more than a little interested when I read your thread. The only bits of the Wandle that I know are in highly populated areas and access is a little difficult, to say nothing of embarrasing from an 'onlookers' point of view. The bits that I know are around the Earlsfield area. Without giving away any secrets, where approximately do you fish ?

R

Richard Baker

Dear Gerry,
There is a stretch that runs alongside the brewery in the town centre of Wandsworth all the way to where it joins the Thames. Access is very difficult and has forced me to invest in a pair of chest waders. However, once you've bought a pair there isn't an inaccessable swim on the river. On lookers do make the usual comments. "are you fishing, you'll never catch anything in there" is one of the most popular but it is full of fish. Never fished as far down up as Earlsfield. Whats that section like? Do you fish with Fly or coarse tackle.

Cheers

Richard

G

Gerry Castles

I fish fly (when I'm not luring for pike) I might take a look at your section. Are there any bridges or access points where I can go and have a good look with polarized specs? The section at Earlsfield runs mostly through back gardens and modern estates and I haven't seen any fish life, but then I haven't looked as hard as you obviously have.

R

Richard Baker

Dear Gerry,
Access is difficult. If you go to the town centre of Wandsworth (at the crossroads with Garratt Lane and the brewery) you will see a Mcdonalds. Across the road from the Mcdonalds is a bridge over the river with a small park area (literally only ten yards wide) that overlooks the river. You have to climb over the small fence here and lower yourself into the river. Fish can be seen from the bridge if you get a hot day and they are on the surface. Told you it was inaccessable!!! If you do go down and fish let me know how you get on. Best of luck.

Cheers

Richard

G

Gerry Castles

Thanks Richard, I drive across that bridge about three times a week without bothering to stop and look, will make a point of doing so next time. Incidently there's a lot of info on the net about the Wandle and a wild brownie stocking programme going on at the moment. Apparently in the 1860's 6lbers where not uncommon and the Wandle was regarded as a premier trout water. Seems hard to imagine. I'll let you know if I get my flies wet !

R

Richard Baker

Gerry,

I'd be interested in reading about the stocking proggrammes. Could you let me know the address of the website with the brown trout stocking programme.
cheers richard

G

Gerry Castles

Richard,

sorry, I double checked my facts and got things a little wrong. The Wild Trout Trust are apparently involved in a Project on the Wandle at Morden Hall, but it appears to be more concerned with improving water quality than stocking, however I'm sure that I read on one of the smaller sites about trout being stocked on another stretch of the river, just can't find it. I don't know what browser you use but go to www.google.com and type in 'River Wandle Trout' and a whole pile of snippets of info. turn up.
regards
Gerry