River Dove water levels

D

Dave Dowson

As I have about a 170 mile round trip to reach the River Dove. It is heart destroying when you get there and its in flood and rising. Despite trying to judge the rain fall to river level rising through the weather forecast. I generally get it totally wrong.
Does anyone know of any web address`s or phone numbers I can contact that will give me some idea of the River levels for the Dove.
Or has someone out there got a magic formula for working this one out.
Cheers
Dave

S

Shrek

This link will get you to the EA site and let you know a general level.

Other than that I don't know.

J

John Tait

Dave, I fish the Dove at Doveridge, and live in Cheddleton (near Leek). So that is a journey of about 18 miles or so. However, when I am planning a trip to the Dove, I always check the weather forecast for Buxton and Leek as well as Uttoxeter. The Dove rises on Axe Edge, near Buxton - and the weather up there can be totally different from down in the valleys - it can be sunny and dry in Leek, yet cold and wet in Buxton. So it is not only the river level which can catch you out, but also the temperature being lower than you would expect, given the local weather conditions.

There are also a number of tributaries of the Dove, such as the Manifold, Henmore, Churnet, which can pour lots of extra water into the river system. It can be a very difficult river to read.

A handy number to know is the EA Rivercall number, which for the Dove is 0906 619 7744 - then key the `*` key, followed by `4` - that will give you the levels for the Dove at Rocester. As far as I am aware, this is the only way to get a level for the Dove. But you also need to be aware that the reading is usually as at 00:01 hours that morning - so after a morning's heavy rain, the level given on Rivercall will be way, way out.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

Jonty

D

Dave Johnson

and i would be well chuffed to get there and find it coming up....

the best time for them without a doubt, especially in the warmer months.

R

Ron Clay

I don't want to sound disrespectful but I just love swollen rivers, especially if they are coming up after heavy summer or autumn rain.

Those barbel get their heads down in a big way. Find 'em and you could have a session you will never forget.

Dave you are quit right.

J

John Tait

Ron, I quite agree - but Dave's original request was for some sort of information which would allow him to gauge the sort of level the river would be at when he arrived there after his long journey. I just tried to supply him with a couple of useful pointers.

Jonty

D

Dave Dowson

John
Thanks a lot mate for the phone number just tried it and it is just what the doctor ordered. i owe you one my friend.
Ron/Dave
I must be doing something completely wrong.
Because when ever i have fished the Dove when the river is rising I have not really done any good. Loads of weed and rubbish on the line but no fish, or should I say very few fish. Despite on quite a few occasions having barbel top in my swim.
I have always been under the impression that a rising River Dove was next to useless, especially with my past experiences.
Any further advise on fishing in these conditions would be greatfully recieved.
Tight lines
Dave

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
contact me on this thread or send email when you want to come up i live 2 miles away from the dove and i can let you know conditions.

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
just got back from the hunt for the beloved bertie's near doveridge started to rain an hour ago river coming up fast and coloured temp of the water good but no fish on the bank (bugger).

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Somewhere theres an article about the Dove that Graham Marsden wrote and I think it dealt particularly about flood conditions, in fact didn't he have his biggest Dove barbel in high water conditions.

carl hodgkinson

Reaction score
caught my first dove double(10lb 12oz) when the water was high not quite flood but it was at the top of the bank.

had to use some heavvyyy gear though as the water don't half go through your swim.

sort of explains why the dove barbel have oversized pectoral fin's which makes em scrap so hard.