Trophy Shot

• Thread starter Goose Ganderton
  • Start date
G

Goose Ganderton

Graham
There have been many debates and heated arguments on this and all the other angling forums regarding the use of keepnets.

Most anglers who use keepnets do so in a sensible way. One of the points raised during the debates is that most anglers find it unnecessary and indeed unacceptable to faul a keepnet with a large number of fish onto the bank for the show off "look what I caught" trophy picture.

I personally do not like to see these pictures in the weekly papers or magazines and was surprised to see the picture on your current Digital Diary "Bag-up on Border". It was an interesting article and you were obviously given special privileges as keepnets are banned with the exception of matches. But is it necessary for you to use this type of picture to illustrate an article just for our benefit.

I feel that most people here are sensible anglers and have a very high concern for fish welfare (as I am sure you have) and that when they use keepnets it is done so in a manner that does not cause harm to the fish.

The only way we ordinary folk have of changing thing is to voice our opinion.

I DO NOT want to re-open the keepnet debate, as it has been done to death and this type of debate only ads fuel to the Anti?s.

The question I would like to ask which only requires a Yes or No answer is

Do you want to see the keepnet trophy shot? Yes or No

S

Stewart Bloor

Goose, a couple of points. You state you don't want to open the keepnet debate, but surely a mail like this will prompt response? Secondly, an answer will no doubt require more than a simple yes or no from anyone that replies, in order to clarify points raised.
As for me, I don't own a keepnet, and have got to borrow a couple for next weeks match at Clattercote..The reason I don't own a net is that I fish for specimen fish, so once caught, photos are the order of the day before the fish is released. I also rove a lot, particularly when fishing rivers.
But, I have no objections to the use of keepnets, although I understand that your point is more to a 'point of law' rather than the general use.

D

Dave Johnson

C'MON sEDGE, WE ALL KNOW WHY YOU DONT OWN A KEEPNET......
WHAT WOULD YOU PUT IN IT,-YOUR SANDWICHES?
LOL

G

Goose Ganderton

The question was DoYou want to see keepnet trophy shots YES or NO its quite a simple question really.

S

Stewart Bloor

Yes, but in order for you to ask the question, there was need for several paragraphs to explain where you were heading. And likewise, in order for anyone to fully communicate what they feel, there'll also be the need to expand on their answer.

C

Carp Angler

There are also several ways to take the keepnet trophy shot.
Some not bad and some abysmal.
I think single word answers aren't really appropriate on a 'discussion' forum.

G

Goose Ganderton

Sedge can I just state that I have NO objections to the correct use of Keepnets and that for certain species I do you them. But I do object to the full keepnet trophy shot as I feel that it is not conducive to good fish welfare.

The only way we as concerned anglers, ( if indeed the rest of you are concerned anglers ) have to get sites like FM to introduce or amend their policies is for us to object. All I am trying to do is see if there is sufficient objection to the use of this type of photograph with the hope that Graham will introduce a No keepnet trophy picture policy.

G

Goose Ganderton

So Rik can you enlighten me on how is the best way to load 25Ib of fish into a landing net (as Graham as done) while still practicing good fish welfare

S

Stewart Bloor

Goose, that's OK, I understood that you didn't have an objection to the use of nets, just this specific point, hence my earlier comment about 'point of law'.
I guess you'll just have to wait until Mr M rises from his beauty sleep for his reply.
I don't own a net anyway, but I'm interested to see how the discussion develops.

G

Goose Ganderton

So Sedge do you object to this type of photograph being used or not.

S

Stewart Bloor

I'm sure that when Graham put the fish back in the water they all swam away safely?
Goose, I think using the word 'trophy' is loading the question about keepnets. It conjurs up images of Great White Hunters from the past, one foot on a dead elephant, posing for the cameras.
Although I don't own a net (as I've said 3 times now. Not trying to make a point. Honest !!) I still take photos. Surely, that could be seen as a 'trophy' shot?
Granted, one may argue that the fish is 'dealt' with quicker and so on, but not as quick as if the hook was removed from the fish without even taking it from the water?
The fish that you are posing with, is that a 'trophy' shot? What about carp sacks, are they used sometimes simply as 'carp keepnets' to enable 'trophy'shots to be taken?

A

Andrew Miller

Goose may I clarify this..... Are you saying that you don't object to fish being kept in keepnet but you do object to photo of fish in a keepnet?
Windy

S

Stewart Bloor

Windy, A fine specimen of a man if ever I saw one.....

G

Goose Ganderton

Blimey sometimes you blokes make this hard work for a Dyslexic like me.

I HAVE NO OBJECTIONS TO THE CORRECT USE OF KEEPNETS, SACKS OR TUBES

Sedge if you afraid of upsetting Graham them just don?t reply to this thread.
Of coarse they are trophy shots otherwise why take them.

Call them what you like, what I am saying is that I don?t agree with placing multiple numbers of fish one on top of another thereby causing the fish underneath undue stress and possible damage.

I am sure that all the fish swam away when put back in the water but how many scales were left in the bottom of the net. If Graham?s answer is none, which I?m sure it will be, no-one can can guarantee that by placing 25Ib of fish one on top of another in a net out of water that some fish are not going to be damaged.

G

Goose Ganderton

Sorry Graham I didn?t realise that you were giving me a single word answer.

C

Carp Angler

Goose said "So Rik can you enlighten me on how is the best way to load 25Ib of fish into a landing net (as Graham as done) while still practicing good fish welfare"

No I can't Goose as I don't do it.
The only time I put 25lb into a landing net is when it's one fish.

G

Goose Ganderton

Nice one Rik, but why dont you answer the question.