river vienne - france

legion

Reaction score
Justin (and nicepix) hope you dont mind me reopening this thread.

Coming with the family for a week's holiday near Saulgond the last week of May. The place we are staying has what looks like a cracking small private lake (Lac du Pradeau - holiday rental in Poitou-Charentes, France with a fishing lake), and the owner is a keen fisherman too - but your posts about the Vienne have also made us (me and my fishing-mad 9 year old daughter) really fancy having a go on the river as well!

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated :)

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Saulgond is 12 km from Confolens, Chabanais and St. Junien and you can fish stretches of the river at these three towns.

In Confolens you can fish upstream of the 'new' road bridge on the opposite side to the town. There are picnic benches and easy access. You can't fish the fishy looking area where the River Goire joins the Vienne in the old part of town.

In Chabanais there is a fishing platform next to the fire station just upstream of the road bridge.

In St. Junien you can fish the 'Isle de Chaillac' that is on your left 1 mile after you leave St. Junien on the Chabanais road. Look out for the green iron bridge on your left and turn into the parking area about 100 metres before the bridge. Also, near to the same area is the Glane where you can fish in the village of the same name or the Site de Corot nearby.

There is also a good stretch of the Vienne at Exideuil just downstream of Chabanais. Cross the bridge near the restaurant and turn first right towards the camp site. Continue along the river bank until you pass the camp site and rifle club. You an drive right onto the bank after there. Alternatively go uphill from the road bridge and turn left towards Coldebuoy and Agnes, take the left fork and drive along the river until you get to the weir.

There are carp, barbel and catfish in all those areas. You can get your Carte de Peche and boilies, etc. from the tackle shop in Chabanais which you pass on your way to Chabanais town center from Saulgond. Alternatively there is a tackle shop in the center of St. Junien opposite the large car park where the Saturday market is held.

Last edited:

legion

Reaction score
Cheers for such a full reply nicepix, everything we need there. Wish we were coming for longer!

One last question - we're probably going to have a half day or so at most for a river session, is there one place out of those you've mentioned in the thread you'd particularly plump for? Thinking we'll have a legerered bait out for the barbel/carp, while doing a bit of spinning for the catfish.

Thanks again - lee

nicepix

Reaction score
The Vienne is not an easy river. If I was having half a day and wanted to put a bend in the rod I would opt for Aixe-sur-Vienne which is about 30 minutes away. If you look out for the 'Maison de Porcelaine' and drive round the back you will come to a long riverside car park. You can fish all that length. The 'Maison de Porcelaine' is a factory shop so the missus would be able to browse while you fished.

If you have polarizing lenses on it is a good idea to walk down the river looking for the fish. They seem to favour certain areas and you will see good sized chub, carp and barbel. Fish as you indicated using sweetcorn on a feeder. Just be aware though that the smallest carp I've had out of the river was around 8 to 9lb, they average 12 - 15lb so make sure you tackle up for that sort of size fish.

If you are having an evening spinning for catfish then the Ile de Chaillac is probably your best bet. Remember that whilst any old lure will do, catfish don't readily chase a spinner so it pays to vary your casting length along the same line as they seem to respond to the splash of the lure landing rather than the vibrations as it is retrieved. Here's one I prepared earlier caught on exactly that method.............

legion

Reaction score
Lovely looking cat!

Those spots sound exactly what we're after - will let you know how we get on :thumbs:

nicepix

Reaction score
Don't forget that for rivers and public lakes you will each need a Carte de Peche. Google Translate

There is a tackle shop opposite the Tourist Information Office in St. Junien where you can buy it.

I don't know what you have planned but there is an Adventure Park for kids near to Massignac on the Lessignac road, horse riding at Pressignac, an interesting archaeological site near to Chassenon, the 'Massacred Village' at Oradure sur Glane and the Memorial to the Resistance at Chasseneuil.

There is a really nice restaurant in Lesterpes, about 5km from Saulgond that does a lovely lunchtime menu, a small bar in Brigueuil, again 5km from where you are staying and another restaurant near a lake in Montrollet, 10km from Saulgond that is recommended by friends. Just past Montrollet is Mortemart a small quaint village of historical interest. The Chinese restaurant in St. Junien just uphill from the Hyper U supermarket does an all you can eat for 11€ buffet at lunchtimes, no booking required.

Hope that you enjoy your holiday. :)

legion

Reaction score
A belated thanks for all the holiday tips sir, will definitely be trying some of those :D

Getting close now - we arrive Saturday evening. Weather looks mild and not too rainy, ideal. Been busy preparing bait and end tackle, have probably bought too many boilies, we'll see.

You out fishing yourself over the next week or two?

nicepix

Reaction score
I take it the boilies are for the private lake? Maize / sweetcorn works best for me on the rivers and public lakes.

I'm pulled out with mole trapping jobs at the moment. It was ticking along nicely with French customers then I put an advert in a free paper distributed amongst the ex-pat community and the bl00dy phone hasn't stopped ringing since. I've got bookings up to w/c 16th June and I'm even doing the editor's garden :D I'll be out tomorrow evening locally and then at the weekend for an afternoon probably up at Aixe sur Vienne on the stretch I mentioned earlier. Next week I'm out Deux-Sevres way on a couple of jobs and so will find somewhere over there to spend a couple of afternoons when I've finished the work. I never knew that retirement would be so busy :D

Hope that you have a good holiday and if you see someone wandering around the village with a tired old springer spaniel, that will be me.

p.s. If you fancy a picnic along with a bit of light fishing the stretch I featured in the most recent 'How did you get on' thread is ideal. It is only 15 minutes away. Drive to Brigueuil, turn right and continue towards St. Junien. After you cross the river Glane look out to your right for a small bandstand type of structure and park there. Walk down to the river, past the old mill races and there are picnic tables alongside the river in the shade of trees.

Last edited:

legion

Reaction score
Yeah the boilies are for our lake, very much a novice/pleasure carper (float, method feeder) so going to take the opportunity to try out some 'proper' modern methods in privacy :wh

Have got lots of maize too though, and will pick up some corn when we get there.

That Site de Corot stretch looks lovely, might have to pack the light feeder rod. Had a look at the area you mention on Google Street maps, looks like an absolutely tiny road, with a dilapidated old mill across it?! Says '2008' in the corner though, has it changed much?

Will certainly look out for you and the spaniel ;)

Have to confess too to being fascinated by what mole trapping involves... :eek:

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I doubt if the Site de Corot has changed much in the last 100 years never mind the last 6 :D If you park near the wooden structure, walk downhill along the path then turn left at the old mill races and follow the river downstream you will find good places to fish.

Mole trapping is dead easy. You just dig a hole, plant a trap and harvest a mole. Picked up 12 yesterday :cool:

We've had thunderstorms and very heavy rain in the last two days. It is a lot warmer this morning but there are thundery showers predicted for the next few days. It is the changeover period with hot sunny weather ahead.

legion

Reaction score
We've had thunderstorms and very heavy rain in the last two days. It is a lot warmer this morning but there are thundery showers predicted for the next few days. It is the changeover period with hot sunny weather ahead.

hope you're right!

justin ackroyd

Reaction score
So how did the fishing go ??
Hot spot for Carpers, road on way into saint juiene. The road is about 20 yds from the river, was always full of lads fishing.
Love to go again, won't forget my quivertips next time. :(
For just catching anything , the bridge below Ansac.
Top reply nicepix

nicepix

Reaction score
So how did the fishing go ??
Hot spot for Carpers, road on way into saint juiene. The road is about 20 yds from the river, was always full of lads fishing.
Love to go again, won't forget my quivertips next time. :(
For just catching anything , the bridge below Ansac.
Top reply nicepix

From what I remember Legion dropped on a bad week at the carp lake. A few of the local commercials have been slow this year. The owners are blaming the warmer than normal winter creating a greater amount of natural food.

That area you mentioned near to St. Junien is a good place for river carp and catfish. It is known locally as the Isle de Chaillac. They get a few barbel too in the stretch near to the road out towards Rochechouart just upstream of there.

Reaction score
Will resurrect this thread just to update.
River is currently well down (+/- 18") throughout its length due to lack of rain throughout late spring and early summer, but very recent rain has perked things up somewhat.
At the moment I am focusing on well aerated stretches downstream of weirs and river is fishing well in these areas. Carp are ever present and take sweet corn readily. Meat, I have found to be not that well accepted. Carp are now very used to pellets and my top bait of the moment is Decathlon Ring Pellet. These appear to have a very high oil content and work well in moving water. I have been fishing over a combination of hemp and tiny pellets with great success.
If you are targeting barbel, do NOT drop line strength below 10lbs, as you will pick up carp and carp in mid teens/low twenties are going to give you quite a tussle.
No need for fancy rigs - simple running ledger and quivertip or better still touch ledgering do the business.

Reaction score
River now back to nearly normal levels and fishing really well.

Rolling a pellet around in the main current between the streamer weed is my most successful and favourite method at the moment. Hold rod as high as you can whilst touch ledgering and if you can find a shoal you can have a bite a cast.

An hours fishing just before dark last Monday brought 7 barbel, all but 1 between 5 and 6lb which seems to be about max size for the Vienne where I fish downstream of Aixe.

Reaction score
The Vienne is fishing really well at the moment. Biggest barbel so far for me earlier this week went exactly 7lb. I'd be interested to know if anyone else knows if the barbel go any bigger on this river?

curryman86

Reaction score
Hello all
Great to see there are a few people fishing the Vienne and surrounding rivers, I live not far from Lussac les Chateaux so right on top of the Vienne which great but I have a problem fishing on my own as I am partially handicapped, I suffer with vasculitis and get fatigued very quickly and a bit unsteady on my feet and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to let me fish with you as I do not know of any anglers locally. You don't have to hold my hand but I'd be grateful if you pull me out if I topple over and end up in the river LOL !!
I don't have a problem driving as I'm sitting down, it's the walking especially carrying kit that knackers me.
Thanks for reading this and if you can assist please let me know
All the best & tight lines.
Stephen

jeffhowe

Reaction score
Hi All

Just joined fishing magic forum!

My friend has a house in Javerdat, the nearest biggest town is St Julien

any info regarding the river fishing on the Vienne in the area would be helpful

I have been carp fishing nearby in people's back garden - with permission of course but fancy having a crack on the rivers

Regards Jeff