Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: river vienne - france

Just caused consternation in the local tackle shop.

When you get your fishing licence they give you a booklet with all the rules and regulations for your department, in my case The Charente. Inside the booklet is a fold out map showing the rivers either in red corresponding to the Category 1 waters, i.e. trout, and blue for the Category 2 waters, i.e. coarse fish. I noticed that this year's map had been printed showing the Cat 1 waters in blue and the Cat 2 waters in red, but with the same legend; red for Cat 1 and blue for Cat 2 thus confusing the issue by classing the rivers incorrectly.

Seems that I'm the only one on the Charente who has read the map.

A few photos of the Vienne and some inhabitants from the Confolens area to whet your appetite:

a few of those would be nice.
    how much is groundbait over there, or is cheaper to bring my own ??
    cant wait, not been so excited in ages

If you are intending to visit Limoges or Angouleme you can buy all sorts of bulk groundbait at reasonable prices from Decathalon. If you are not traveling that far then I'd suggest bringing a few kilos of plain breadcrumb groundbait.

If you go down the breadcrumb route then you need to pop into Intermarche at Confolens or one of the briconauts and pick up some chicken pellets and maize. The pellets are about 16% protein and about 3mm diameter. They are readily accepted by local fish either as a groundbait additive or banded on the hook. Maize is cheap and widely available in tins or as dry grains whole or chopped. For chicken pellets and dried maize expect to pay about 50 to 60 cents a kilo.

For hookbaits I would also recommend maize, halibut pellets or fish flavoured boilies. The locals use tuti-fruity boiles in the lakes, but I do better on fish based pellets / boilies and maize. This might be because I fish quiet areas where fish have less exposure to regular baits. The fishing shop in Chabanais is a bit hit and miss for pellets and boilies, but Decathalon has a good stock.

Also, just be aware that in Confolens town centre where the two rivers join you will see loads of fish, but that area is out of bounds.

Cheers nicepix, had mi eye on the town centre looked well good.

Just a thought, do not under any circumstances get your Carte de Peche from the Tabac near the old bridge in Confolens unless you are fluent in French. He's not exactly know for his tolerance

Fished the Vienne in confolens, had a few barbel out, not very big . made big mistake of taking my heavy feeder rod, but leaving my tips back in England ;(. So lucky enough I used my carp rod and the bites were big enough to see went to fish at isle de jardin one day, was totally packed. On the damn end full of French with boats after catfish, further back near the large islands full of carp anglers with 4 rods like you said. All rowing the baits out to the islands or to the large weed beds on the bend. Was about 120 to 150 yd wide, but so shallow. Managed a bream when I swapped from boilie to corn.

You should have let me know. I could have loaned you a rod or some quiver tips.

Its not always as busy as you describe. Outside August you'd hardly see an angler mid-week. Up at the Lakes of the Haute Vienne you can find plenty of space even in the holiday season.

Barbel seem to be few and far between on the Vienne. I've never seen one on the 1.5km stretch that runs alongside the farm, but just downstream at Ansac they seem to get a few. One of the problems is that the river is so shallow and clear in places and there is no night fishing other than for carp. Carp seem to be omni present. Anywhere you look there are carp. They ain't educated to UK type carp baits though and a tin of sweetcorn fares better than boilies or pellets.

Spinning for catfish for a couple of hours before dusk is good sport. They average out just short of 20lb and can give a good scrap on light tackle. Any old spinner or plug seems to do the job.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Thanks for the offer, should have got in touch caught the barbel just right of the road bridge in confolens. Grounbait and large oily pellets. Just fished mornings for a couple of hours.
    I used to go over the bridge into ansac for coissants most mornings.was going to fish one night just below the small weir, looked perfect for barbel.but didn't bother when I realised I'd left the tips at home.
    I guess I couldn't have picked as worse time as it was the French holidays.
    The Vienne lakes were nice, saw a large fishing match on the long lake, we went to the beach on the larger one. Amazed, looked small on the map, bigger than anything I've been to in England.
    Saw quite a few night fishing the Vienne on the way into St Julian (I think) on a small bend.
    Found a great lake 12kms from me, but had to have a annual fishing licence, was gutted.Saw lots of carp

Those two large lakes, Lavaud and Mas Chaban are 220 hectares each.

They are actually separated into smaller lake even though they appear to be one huge lake. Where the road crosses them there are dams and the smaller arms where the rivers run in can be kept full all summer even if the main basin is being used for abstraction. I tend to fish off the beaten track and there are a few areas on these lakes where you won't see another angler yet are full of carp, bream and other species such as zander and catfish. Each of these lakes can be fished on a weekly, daily or annual rod licence.

St. Juninen is one of the better fishing spots for barbel and big catfish. Again all you need is a rod licence to fish.

If you come over again drop me a line and I can loan you some appropriate tackle, sort some bait and show you some of the better and quieter spots. We'll be moving to Saulgond next month which is only a few km from Confolens.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast